Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Games of the grave.  (Read 3131 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Games of the grave.
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2010, 08:14:40 pm »

Sonny, on Kongregate?

Dawntide has a Necromancy spell class, which focuses on DoT and summon spells. Unfortunately, summoned Skeletal Minions don't seem to want to join in your fights until either you or your opponent has had half the crap kicked out of them. I almost tried seeing what would happen if I summoned two and attacked one. It's what open betas are for.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2010, 08:38:25 pm »

Stubbs the Zombie.

Seconded. If nothing else, it's a fun game.

Thirded. Its also hilarious.

I started to get worried when five posts had gone by without this getting mentioned.  It's loads of fun, and it actually has reanimation as a central game aspect, rather than merely a theme. 

Plus, y'know, ripping out one of your own organs and using it as an explosive zombifying grenade to destroy a jetpack-wearing barbershop quartet member is one of those things you really just can't pass by.

Sacrifice has this to a mild extent, where you summon forth magical servants to reanimate, paralyze, and then ritually sacrifice the deceased minions of your enemies.  This grants you the use of their souls, which you can then create your own army with.

Diablo II includes a Necromancer class that can rip forth the bones of their conquered foes in order to form a skeletal army.  At higher levels they can also just reanimate the critters as they are, but this only lasts for a few minutes.  The skeletons stick with you until they die (which may, incidentally, take less than a few minutes).

The Dungeon Keeper series allows you to starve captured foes to death in a prison, whereupon they will turn into skeletons to fight for you.  You can also collect rotting corpses from the battlefield to stockpile in your graveyards, which can call forth vampires.

I'm sure I've played some other titles that let you put the dead to use, but nothing else is coming to mind at the moment.  I mean, there's also The Hidden mod for HL2, which lets you "eat" dead players, but it's basically just you stabbing some ragdoll with a knife and getting healthpoints for the trouble.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2010, 08:46:09 pm »

The main focus of The Hidden is more creating parinoia than eating dead bodies, though.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2010, 08:52:32 pm »

I know.  And the corpse-eating mechanism isn't exactly all that well implemented, that's why The Hidden is more of a footnote than a real suggestion.

Still though, it does let you do something with them, so it's more than just thematic.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2010, 10:52:40 pm »

Diablo 2, Necromancer-class?

Nevermind, already mentioned.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2010, 11:08:08 pm »

If you can stomach roguelikes, Incursion has various undead mucking about methods, though primarily through arcane magic. You can't really turn into an undead (outside of debug mode stuff, currently), but it's pretty easy to get up a horde of 20-30 zombies and throw them at something. There's also a gain-strength-through-cannibalism thing for one of the races and some god-related stuff (Mara, mostly).

EDIT: Oh, there's also a T-Engine 2 module, Bone to be Wild, which has you running around as a skeleton basically wrecking everything. It's pretty neat, if fairly small/short.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 11:11:57 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2010, 01:20:36 am »

Oh yeah, Incursion...  Yeah, necromancy takes a little while before it gets into its stride, but once you can resurrect creatures it gets to be pretty awesome.

And like Frumple said, Orcs can devour certain enemies to gain their strength.  They still need to watch out for catching a disease from eating a dead thing in a dank, smelly underground cavern though.  Necromancers can gain a similar bonus by killing enemies with a particular spell.  And although true undeadifying may currently be out of reach, there is a fairly low-level necromantic spell which lets you "pretend" to be a zombie.  You gain certain resistances, you don't need to breathe, and other undead are neutral to you.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2010, 01:35:29 am »

Oh yes, I wanted to ask, are there any tilesets for incursion out there? I think I got spoiled from playing dungeoncrawl with tilesets.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2010, 01:44:34 am »

Nope, none to speak of (at least as far as I'm aware).  It's tricky because Incursion uses a special set of tiles which, although very detailed by ASCII standards, doesn't lend itself to modification very easily.

Ahh, I could go on and on...  I even have a half-assed beginning of a beginner's tips and tricks guide sitting around here in a text file.  It later occurred to me that I probably wasn't the best source, since I'd never made it all the way to the end before.

Then again, for a "beginner's tips and tricks" guide, I probably would be able to give some helpful hints, seeing how many times I've perished on the first level...

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2010, 06:50:32 am »

Last time I played incursion I felt it was the DF of roguelikes: very complex, lots of interesting features, complicated ascii graphics, and a complicated interface
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2010, 08:30:34 am »

Incursion is great.  Sadly, every single Orc I play ever dies because I want the delicious elf/kobold corpses from the entry room, or if not those corpses another one later on.  20's a hard number to beat.

Diseases are bloody awful.  :\

If I could just get over that hump without forsaking those elf corpses, I'd be... well, I'd probably just die three rooms later to a shadow ooze or something.

My favorite class is a brainy kobold rogue.  I sneak around, being ignored by everything, until I make it to the 2nd level's library.  Then FREE IDs and I pretend to be a sneaky awesome scholarcheologist.  Rarely I make it to the point that sneaking's pretty awesome and I get some levels in mage, for awesome illusion spells.

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2010, 01:04:34 pm »

Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2010, 05:10:46 am »

Fifthed!

Also, there's a Mount and Blade mod called Solid and Shade that takes place on the standard M&B 1.011 map with some slightly different graphics, but the main difference is that you now can be a necromancer and collect dead bodies and chop them into parts and create all sorts of weird crap from them.  It's apparently based on some real occult writings and stuff.  Kind of cool mod even if it's not very far into development yet.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2010, 10:55:29 am »

Fifthed!

Also, there's a Mount and Blade mod called Solid and Shade that takes place on the standard M&B 1.011 map with some slightly different graphics, but the main difference is that you now can be a necromancer and collect dead bodies and chop them into parts and create all sorts of weird crap from them.  It's apparently based on some real occult writings and stuff.  Kind of cool mod even if it's not very far into development yet.
Oh link please M&B is one of my favorite games.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2010, 11:58:33 am »

I don't have the URL on hand.  Just take a look at the forums under released mount and blade modules.  It's in the list of regular threads under all the sub forums.  The guy has stopped working on it for a while because he for some reason has a 30 gig hard drive and wants to play a game for a while.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!
Pages: 1 [2] 3