Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: Person of Wizardry  (Read 13105 times)

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Person of Wizardry
« Reply #75 on: July 17, 2010, 06:02:52 pm »

Keep the fruit seeds. You'll want them later. (I'm the Greedy Imp)

Find out more information about the Riverside Council. Names, adresses, appearances, recent activities and so forth. The obvious solution to Evan's problems is to kill all of the Riverside council, or to get him killed trying in a totally deniable fashion. Then we get ourselves and some lackies elected to the Riverside Council.

Find out the price of the following:
-More good food.
-A waterskin.
-A wagon.
-A horses.
-Magical supplies.
-Rat poison.
-Dark colored clothing.
-Some burlap sacks.
-Better rope.
-Lockpicks.
-A lantern.
-A place to stay.
-A crossbow.
-A riverboat.
-A more befitting robe.
-Some farmland.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 17, 2010, 06:07:53 pm »

We should learn more about these orcs. How do they react to strangers? Will a sufficient display of power impress them? After building up our power, could we get these orcs to serve us and capture the Federation cities?
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 17, 2010, 06:11:30 pm »

We must acquire some books of magic if possible. The cost is irrelevant next to the potential knowledge found within.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 17, 2010, 06:21:40 pm »

Keep the fruit seeds. You'll want them later. (I'm the Greedy Imp)

Find out more information about the Riverside Council. Names, adresses, appearances, recent activities and so forth. The obvious solution to Evan's problems is to kill all of the Riverside council, or to get him killed trying in a totally deniable fashion. Then we get ourselves and some lackies elected to the Riverside Council.

Find out the price of the following:
-A lantern.
Why would I buy such a thing? Magic would serve me better for providing light.
-Some farmland.
No, no, no. I left that life behind long ago, and I have no intention of going back.

We must acquire some books of magic if possible. The cost is irrelevant next to the potential knowledge found within.
I will ask around, but the vast majority of arcane lorebooks are owned by wizards, few of whom would part willingly with them. A few have doubtlessly fallen into the grubby hands of collectors as well.

penguify

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 17, 2010, 06:27:13 pm »

We should also learn about the properties of the magic-coins. Can we create small objects out of the same material? Would we be able to create a useful knife in an unexpected situation? Can we recall the magic from the coins to replenish our stamina, or reshape the pseudo-material into something else? Can it bend, break, tarnish, rust, wear away? Can we move it (the material) with our mind? Can other Wizards dispel or steal the magic from them?

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 17, 2010, 06:29:49 pm »

Practice a small amount of pyro-magic, just incase we need to use it
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 17, 2010, 06:46:32 pm »

We should also learn about the properties of the magic-coins.Can we create small objects out of the same material?
Yes. Mana-sculpting is not an unheard of hobby, but most wizards prefer to practice their craft in other ways.

Would we be able to create a useful knife in an unexpected situation?
I could create a sharp object, but mana does not hold an edge very well, and it isn't something that can be done rapidly.

Can we recall the magic from the coins to replenish our stamina, or reshape the pseudo-material into something else?
Yes, and it is where they get their value from. Reshaing is easier then making more coins, but not by much.

Can it bend, break, tarnish, rust, wear away?
It is quite durable, aside from its poor ability to hold an edge.

Can we move it (the material) with our mind?
Not any easier then a mundane material.

Can other Wizards dispel or steal the magic from them?
They may only be "used" at a very close range, unless the other wizard is extremely powerful. There are rumored to be only three wizards with the talent to offensively drain the coins of an opponent at a respectable range, but they would be unlikely to need it.
Only the bravest of lesser wizards would risk themselves by getting close enough to preform this feat.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 17, 2010, 06:50:58 pm »

What sort of defenses might a weaker mage have? We will need a tower and library for ourselves, and the easiest way to get one would be to best another wizard. Are magical duels common, or at least not unheard of?
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 17, 2010, 07:13:40 pm »

What sort of defenses might a weaker mage have? We will need a tower and library for ourselves, and the easiest way to get one would be to best another wizard. Are magical duels common, or at least not unheard of?
A master.

Generally, wizards living in towers take on apprentices who have recently left an arcane institute. The apprentice gets to learn from the master, and in exchange, produces a steady supply of mana coins. After 20-30 years they usually learn enough to best their master in a duel, taking the tower as its new master, usually accepting at least one apprentice of their own. The cycle repeats until an apprentice cracks under the stress of the redundant life of making coins and destroying the tower while the master is away.

penguify

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 17, 2010, 07:23:31 pm »

What's the efficiency of putting energy into and taking it out of coins? That is, if we spend all of our energy to create a large lump of mana, then take it all back, will we be as we were before we spent it? Does the efficiency vary with the skill of the wizard who creates the coins, drains the coins, neither, or both?

Also, by "best" in a duel, do you mean killed, or just beaten, generally speaking? Are wizards subject to different laws than common folk?

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 17, 2010, 07:53:54 pm »

You must find a way to distil another creatures essence, you could then enchant an item with the essence of many orcs, that would grant you a form capable of ruling the creatures.

But for a more immediate need, you must enchant your robe to defend you against hostile magic.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 17, 2010, 08:06:55 pm »

What's the efficiency of putting energy into and taking it out of coins? That is, if we spend all of our energy to create a large lump of mana, then take it all back, will we be as we were before we spent it? Does the efficiency vary with the skill of the wizard who creates the coins, drains the coins, neither, or both?
Forming mana into coins to use later is much less efficient then simply casting spells. Most of the energy lost in the process is lost during creation, and more skilled wizards are able to create coins more efficiently then apprentices.

Also, by "best" in a duel, do you mean killed, or just beaten, generally speaking? Are wizards subject to different laws than common folk?
Usually killed, and mostly by catching them unawares. Wizards are subject to the same laws as mundane citizens, technically, but not in actuality. A wizard master could devastate a small army, and so are usually left to their own devices so long as they do not interfere with the rest of the Federation.

You must find a way to distil another creatures essence, you could then enchant an item with the essence of many orcs, that would grant you a form capable of ruling the creatures.

But for a more immediate need, you must enchant your robe to defend you against hostile magic.
I like the way you think.

penguify

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 17, 2010, 08:22:14 pm »

Awesome. Do it.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 17, 2010, 10:31:47 pm »

Graaaawr you people need to give me a heads up when you're starting these! I keep finding them too late to influence character creation!
There is a new one, but I have already ruined it...

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=61784.0
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 18, 2010, 06:35:36 pm »

I stand by my suggestion to murder the Riverside Council.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9