Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: Person of Wizardry  (Read 13103 times)

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Person of Wizardry
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2010, 04:28:55 pm »

Use sorcery to make acorns or something into coins.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2010, 04:43:46 pm »

They'll probably be obviously fake.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2010, 04:49:28 pm »

I would assume magic coins are easy to tell from ordinary ones, so fakes won't be so easy to make. And imbuing coins is a slow process. We can only make a few in a day.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2010, 04:55:01 pm »

Buy a small weapon of some sort (dagger most likely, or possibly a staff) and then attempt to enchant it.

Also, we're going to have to learn Divination at some point in time. We can't be Vaarsuvius without Vaarsuvius' Enhanced Scrying. Maybe we should try and find a beginner's spellbook or something.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2010, 05:26:38 pm »

((Lore change: Previously, coins were discs of metal imbued with mana. This doesn't make much sense from an economy evolutionary perspective. From now on, coins are crystallized discs of mana.))

Try to do some magic tricks showing these monkeys the true gift of magic. money is required of course
This. Some tricks of elementalism should be suitably impressive.

Also buy a backpack.
I certainly could, although it seems rather petty.

Matter transformation falls under the Enchantment school, not Sorcery.

I would assume magic coins are easy to tell from ordinary ones, so fakes won't be so easy to make. And imbuing coins is a slow process. We can only make a few in a day.
Nearly all merchants of any worth either have something enchanted that allows them to evaluate the worth of coins, or have a dabbling understanding of divination. The latter is uncommon.

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2010, 05:52:24 pm »

Spellbooks!? Our Master (Mistress? I can't tell...) has no need of such things! He or She is creature of pure magic, can you all not see it? Our Lord (Lady(Whatever)) is a shaper of magic, not a mere caster!

Now, your Gender-Ambiguousness, let's show these mud-people your true power! Find the champion of the village, lay them low with your power, and take what we want!

(OOC: Yes, I'm going to be the power-maddened Imp that gives horrible, horrible advice. It'll be a nice break from how I play some of the other games on here.)

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2010, 06:00:05 pm »

Spellbooks!? Our Master (Mistress? I can't tell...) has no need of such things! He or She is creature of pure magic, can you all not see it? Our Lord (Lady(Whatever)) is a shaper of magic, not a mere caster!

Yes, because people can easily cast magic just by wanting to do so, without any prior experience or instruction. That is why every single person in the world is a powerful mage, correct? Oh wait, they aren't.

I stand by finding a spellbook of some sort. When our power grows we may not need them, but for the moment they can be useful. Also, everyone knows wizards are judged based on the size of their... library. Yes.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2010, 06:24:50 pm »

Why would there be any spellbooks in a backwater place like this? Lets just get a backpack and some provisions and then head out. I recommend finding a larger town and becoming an adventurer. It should be good experience and an even better source of income. Everybody knows monsters are loaded!
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2010, 06:26:09 pm »

Then enchant acorns to be coins.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2010, 07:19:35 pm »

I headed for the market. A run-down place, with only three merchants pedaling their wares. None of them had knives, but I bought an obviously used leather sack for just three coins. It smelled strongly of rot and decay; it took but a simple cantrip to clear that up. My next stop was the inn. At least that was in good repair, but the gaudy colors were annoying. I bought some fresh fruit and vegetables for five coins, then asked for directions. The surly innkeeper was uncooperative, only telling me that I could find a larger city by traveling along the road to the south.

I left quickly after that, following the cobblestone road south. I walked for three hours, using the time to imbue a few more coins. I now find myself in front of an abandoned wagon. There are no items of note inside it, but the inner walls are damaged, as though it was stripped in great haste. Grass has been kicked up towards the forest to the west, revealing patches of dirt. I suspect that whoever was here went that way.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2010, 07:24:00 pm »

Prepare some spells allowing you to sense lifeforms around us. Like an alarm that goes off when something gets close.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2010, 07:37:39 pm »

Head into the forest, but first enchant your staff. Adding a freezing effect to it's blows should be useful for self-defense, just in case.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2010, 07:56:34 pm »

Enchant staff to the best of your ability. (Something elemental?)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2010, 10:20:02 pm »

We cannot ever be bested by magic, we must maintain the most powerful of magical wardings upon our robes.

Also, we must find a way of procuring invisibility magics, in case we should encounter some form of curious halfling...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2010, 11:13:20 pm »

fire fireballs everywhere!!!!
I have absolutely no idea what's going on in this fort any more. Migrants arrive, they die for some reason, the fort is flooded for another reason, then dwarves go mad, more dwarves die and I'm just laughing in my distress.
you cannot defeat the potato.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9