Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]

Author Topic: Person of Wizardry  (Read 13095 times)

Lucus Casius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Person of Wizardry
« Reply #120 on: July 29, 2010, 05:15:43 pm »

Do something to calm yourself.  You would likely have learned some meditation techniques during your time at the university to effectively do so.  Then, allow the man to speak.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 29, 2010, 08:11:28 pm »

Feign indecision then strike!
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 31, 2010, 03:37:42 pm »

((This is the second time I've written this, so blame any oddities on that. I was distracted and hit the wrong keys.))

I decided that I would distract the wizard by feigning interest in his ramblings and asking about joining his guild as I approached him. After getting close enough, I would repeatedly strike his head with my staff.

"No, I control my own destiny."

"An interesting, but incorrect, statement. Nearly every being has a fate-thread dictating their life. Making small choices is a simple enough task, but the fate-thread will return to its intended course. Regardless of how much people may try to fight it - and believe me, many have - their lives remain out of their hands. Should they die in an attempt to divert their fate-thread, it will just pick another.
Once every few generations, somebody not directed by a fate-thread is born. Nobody knows exactly why, personally I believe the gods do it. These are the only mortals able to change the fate-threads of others.
You have one, but yours, my dear, has been frayed and split. It has become a fate-cloud, and you already tangle the fate-threads of those you meet."

Fortune tellers. They're all the same, always speaking meaningless drivel. I was nearly in position.

"...But that's enough of that."

Blinding blue light filled my vision, and I was instantly rendered immobile. Resisting the urge to panic, I began to search for the mana threads that bound me.

"You really ought to learn to mask your thoughts better." I nearly had one.
"Yours is ... an interesting future." It was as trying to focus on a single grain of wheat in a field. Purple globes imposed themselves on my sight.
"To be the conduit for change." There! I began untying it.
"In a way, I envy you." It was slow, as the thread constantly fought my progress. The globes of purple began to spin about rapidly.
"That's enough now, you'll hurt yourself." I blacked out.

------

The power that flowed through the Universe. It was mine to command. I was omniscient, from the tiniest insect, to the elder gods. I saw - A wooden ceiling. My back hurt. I stood from the rough stone floor, and - The flows of mana. I could effortlessly redirect them, wiping out entire civilizations instantly. It was - I was in a small cell. Three stone walls, a wall of metal bars, and a tiny window inset high on the wall. I felt a buzz on my finger. - Glorious. The Universe trembled at my touch. The gods themselves cowered for mercy. - A ring of the Lotus. Quite distracting. These highly illegal rings were commonly used to sedate dangerous prisoners and torment them. The taste of their dreams, yet completely unfulfilling. Periods between episodes induced heavy longing for the return of the visions. - Everything was possible. Everything was easy. All I had to do, was - Focus. The rings are very difficult to remove unaided, as they form addiction nearly instantly, and thoughts of removal induce extreme depression. I can ... no. What's the use? I could be stuck here for eternity. If all I have is this ring, then .... That wizard. If I stay here, he lives.

By focusing on that, I managed to remove the ring. I leaned against the wall, exhausted, while I assessed the situation: I was indeed in a cell. I heard nothing but a bird chirping. My cell faced a cobblestone wall.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Bandit (click to show/hide)

((Nirur's Note: Mental condition is a general measure of morale and willingness to obey. When green, a character will generally do whatever they're told, so long as it doesn't conflict with their nature [good paladins will not go on GTA-style killing sprees of civilians]. When yellow, a character will greatly prefer suggestions that appear to better further their goals [either immediate or long-term]. Posts that appear to be contrary to their goals are unlikely to influence the decision without a convincing argument. Red remains a mystery for now.
There are other effects, but they remain a secret for now.))

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 31, 2010, 04:02:09 pm »

Attempt to melt the window so we can escape!
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 31, 2010, 04:40:37 pm »

Told you attacking before we knew more was a bad idea. Move the stone of the cell with elementalism, forming an exit.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Paranatural

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 31, 2010, 09:25:43 pm »

Inspect the ring. Understanding the magics behind it can greatly improve our own skills and help up resist even faster if one gets on us again.
The corpses appear to be primarily concentrated under the dead cat.  - Untelligent
Mental Health 6/6. You easily comfort yourself knowing that Paranatural's Hot Stubble And Deliciously Unwashed Armpits will be  waiting for you whatever happens.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 31, 2010, 09:29:41 pm »

I told you so!
 Next time, enchant a ward against hostile magics, this is just embarrassing...

If you could form a false duplicate of the ring, you could feign weakness while you gather your magics.
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Lucus Casius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 31, 2010, 09:42:30 pm »

Do we have the energy necessary to form a false duplicate?  If so, go for that.

Then enter a goddamn meditative state.

penguify

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 31, 2010, 10:26:00 pm »

Do we have the energy necessary to form a false duplicate?  If so, go for that.

Then enter a goddamn meditative state.
I support this idea.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 04, 2010, 11:03:50 am »

If you could form a false duplicate of the ring, you could feign weakness while you gather your magics.
As I focused my studies on topics other then conjuration, that would be quite a difficult task.

I sat down facing the back wall, clasping my hands in such a way that any guards walking by would be unable to see that I had removed the ring. I began to meditate, feeling the room as my conscious slowly expanded to encompass the cell. I began to explore the cell's perimeter: Faint manalines flowed through the cell's bars, yet the stone walls were mundane. It appeared as though I was placed in the wrong cell by some simpleton guard.

I smirked as I prepared for my escape. Focusing on the stone blocks underneath the window, I began working at the interiors, severing their connections with the outer layer of stone, then began forcing them downwards. It was a grueling process, the packed dirt below resisting the intrusion, yet I eventually succeeded. Very thin sheets of stone were all that remained of a section of wall large enough to walk though. A small amount of kinetic force would be enough to shatter it, yet the wall looks normal.

Nothing remains for me to do in this cell, and I can leave at any time. I estimate the time as being slightly past noon, and the window faces a narrow alley. I must also decide on what I'll do after leaving the cell.

There's a guard outside the cell, idly watching me while smoking a cigar.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Bandit (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 11:27:18 am by Nirur Torir »

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 04, 2010, 11:21:50 am »

Wait for the guard to fall asleep or for shifts to change, then try to repair the wall behind us.

Once out, we will have to first find out where we are, and how long we had been imprisoned.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 04, 2010, 10:14:38 pm »

Try to rest and recover, look around for anything flammable, fire is a great distraction...
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]