Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: Person of Wizardry  (Read 13097 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Person of Wizardry
« Reply #105 on: July 22, 2010, 04:22:11 am »

fools..... destroy them all with storms of flame!
Oh yes, do that, they say that all great heroes need to start with a tragedy!
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 22, 2010, 07:15:36 am »

Astrology and fortune telling don't have anything to do with Divination, do they?
Astrology has nothing to do with magic, and most fortune telling has only a small grain of magic, which is easily faked. With no small amount of effort I might be able to glean the most basic of divination knowledge from it, but it would be a slow process.

fools..... destroy them all with storms of flame!
Oh yes, do that, they say that all great heroes need to start with a tragedy!
I do wish him harm, but consider carefully the wisdom in making enemies this early.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 24, 2010, 07:33:52 pm »

While clearly pathetic, a touch of caution about that character would be wise. You should attempt to use sorcerous means to divine the magical potence of this place.
Divination would be far better suited towards identifying the magical footprint of an area. While such a feat is possible with sorcery, I would have to get closer, and somehow get rid of the blabbering idiot.

Are there any other opinions, or shall I execute a plan where I set something on fire?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 07:35:25 pm by Nirur Torir »

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 24, 2010, 08:19:42 pm »

This elementalism stuff is no fun, ift would be so much easier if you could just suck his youth out...
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 25, 2010, 01:10:41 am »

Hmmm, I reckon that we should check the building out more with sorcery. And as to getting rid of the idiot, well, thats what we have minions for.

Go talk to Evan. Tell him that you need him to do a job for you, distracting the idiot, while you check the magical potency of the mage guild. They are possible opponents to our ultimate goals, and we need to see how troublesome they may become.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 28, 2010, 03:01:24 pm »

Lacking a clear consensus on a plan of action, I decided to locate Evan and use him as a distraction while I searched the Mage's Guild. I found him in the plaza outside of the inn, watching fish swim around in a fountain.

"Yer back, good. Done thinkin', I take it. So, what's tha plan?"

"I shall first examine the local mage's guild for magical traps. Knowing what they are, I may then decided to establish myself as its head. You will distract the buffoon."

"... Alright."

As he expressed his appreciation for my plan, we started walking and a clumsy oaf bumped into me, with nary a word of apology. Evan extorted a fine from the bumbling fool, handing me a few coins. We soon arrived at the guild, and Evan feigned interest in whatever the so-called wizard was explaining. There was a door opposite the entrance, and a stairway leading to the second floor next on my left. It likely lead to an unimportant recreation area and dormitory, so I used the door while his back was turned. I found myself in a room with a single table, a fireplace, some chairs, two bookshelves of literature, and a stairway leading down. One bookshelf held an array of books on history, religion, and philosophy, while the other held more books on astrology, and some beginner works on actual divination magic, enchantment magic, and sorcery. I briefly considered taking a few, but noticed the faint trace of an alarm spell on the books. A glance down the stairs indicated a basement used for food storage. Focusing on the task at hand, I sat down to meditate, expanding my conscious into a field of endless black.

Almost endless black. Threads of blue magic crossed the area. I searched for a pattern, from which I could deduce the functions, but was interrupted and brought back to the corporeal world by an obnoxious voice. Blinking, I saw the head of the mage's guild in the doorway.

"Rude to meditate in here without being a member. Yes indeed. Rude to even be here. The stars have said what you're going to do, oh yes, and it is a bad idea .... But to listen or not - The choice is not actually yours, is it? You are but a tool of forces beyond your comprehension, kid."

How dare he?! What is the best way to punish this impudent wretch, and what manner of suffering shall I inflict upon Evan for his failings?

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Bandit (click to show/hide)

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 28, 2010, 04:36:19 pm »

Hold your anger in check for now. While this is by all evidence a simpleton, he claims to know something. Let him speak. And if his words are not sufficient explanation... well, he won't be head of this guild anymore.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 28, 2010, 04:51:05 pm »

Can we sense his magical ability? How good is this guy?

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 28, 2010, 09:16:45 pm »

Summon a bolt of sorcerous flame, to consume the fool's pathetic magic!
Read the First Post!

Lucus Casius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 28, 2010, 09:49:21 pm »

Is insanity prevalent amongst diviners?

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 28, 2010, 09:53:31 pm »

Burn him to death.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 28, 2010, 10:10:23 pm »

What about imps?
Read the First Post!

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 29, 2010, 03:47:03 am »

hit him with branch
I have absolutely no idea what's going on in this fort any more. Migrants arrive, they die for some reason, the fort is flooded for another reason, then dwarves go mad, more dwarves die and I'm just laughing in my distress.
you cannot defeat the potato.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 29, 2010, 08:59:11 am »

Can we sense his magical ability? How good is this guy?
I cannot concentrate for long enough to determine his potency. I would be faster if I had spent more time practicing.

I suspect so, but many wizards claim that other schools are full of insanity.

What about imps?
As far as I can tell, yes, imps are very rarely sane.

Paranatural

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 29, 2010, 03:03:58 pm »

Tell him his ruse of being more harmless than he is was convincing, and that you simply wished to fined out if indeed it was the case.

Find out what happened to Evan.

(If he has Evan in a magical force cage or somesuch then he's obviously better than us and we need to use diplomacy to escape with our lives)
The corpses appear to be primarily concentrated under the dead cat.  - Untelligent
Mental Health 6/6. You easily comfort yourself knowing that Paranatural's Hot Stubble And Deliciously Unwashed Armpits will be  waiting for you whatever happens.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9