Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Person of Wizardry  (Read 13098 times)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Person of Wizardry
« on: July 11, 2010, 04:17:26 pm »

(Org's Man of Necromancy thread failed. I want to join the craze. There will be two rounds of questions before we begin. Please answer all questions in your post.
This will be a communal game where everybody gives suggestions for what one character will do. This character is a wizard, but may gain other skills as well. The setting is a fairly standard high-fantasy world.
As there is conjuration, standard money isn't worth much to merchants. Instead, arcane practitioners will often use enchanting to imbue coins or gemstones with raw mana. Other wizards (or the same wizard) may then use these as a sort of battery to cast spells from. Apprentices are only able to imbue one or two per day, while the rare highly skilled wizards generally can't be bothered with such a repetitive task.)

Hello, I recently finished my time at Klepton's University of Wizardry. I am a ...
A) Male
B) Female
C) Actually, never-mind, it's not important.

The university isn't much of one, with only 4 teachers. Still, I learned many things. The other students were particularly impressed with my grasp over the field of ... ((Vote three times. The highest vote will be at level 2, while the other two are at level 1. Future schools will require a bit more effort to learn.))

D) Divination - I was always one of the first in my class to figure out which objects or people was enchanted, and usually knew what the enchantments were. I was also skilled at scrying, and masking my scrying. After learning exactly what my classmates didn't want to be known, I blackmailed them.
E) Enchantment - I proved my abilities to enchant items with magic time and time again. Not only was I able to bind other spells to items, but I was slightly more efficient at imbuing coins.
F) Conjuration - I learned much about how to create new objects from thin air. I was popular for my ability to create a variety of interesting spices.
G) Life - Granting life to the unliving is no easy feat. Bringing back the dead is even more difficult. Still, I learned how to stop bleeding, close wounds, and make seeds grow into flowers overnight.
H) Death - I am eerily skilled at corrupting life. The other students stayed well away from my bad side, and for good reason: I intuitively knew how to rot flesh, poison food, and completely drain insects of their life-force.
I) Elementalism - I was adept at controlling the four classical elements and the weather.
J) Sorcery - With my skills over mana, I won many duels. Counter-spelling, stripping enchantments from items, and dropping a levitating classmate - Only the proctors were beyond my grasp.
One of the professors idly mentioned Eternity magic once, but those who learned anything significant about it never took apprentices, and only very rarely kept journals.

It's time for me to return home. I was the child of ...
K) A count. They may not be in charge of the most powerful of lands, but my powers were a true blessing - I should be able to either bring great power to their lands, or be a powerful adventurer, if they allow their only heir to take such a dangerous path.
L) A local merchant. We were never the most wealthy around, but we had more then enough. If I wish to leave them, I'll be well supplied for the days ahead.
M) A serf. I was the last of seven children. We owned nothing, and farm-life is ill suited for someone of my talents. I'll start with nearly nothing, but to have come as far as I already have, I needed to be a fast learner.

As for why I left the university ... I glimpsed a forbidden book in the head proctor's office. One day I read it. I left it behind when I left a week ago, and have just finished casting the ritual I learned, binding otherworldly imps to myself. You will guide me to great power, or I will destroy you, by the power of Krllnvb.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 07:02:39 pm by Nirur Torir »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Person of Wizardry
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 04:19:08 pm »

On spells: Nope. Tell the character to do something, and the character will fulfill it to the best of their abilities. Each school of magic has a level from 1-10. At higher levels the character will be able to use magic more efficiently, casting stronger spells.

Note that a spell can be cast at a lower level more easily, or at one level higher for the cost of knocking the character unconscious and possibly messing up the spell. During times of extreme duress it may by wise to cast a lower level spell, to increase the chances of success.
Two spells at level -2 may be cast in a turn, four spells at level -3, eight spells at level -4, sixteen at level -5, etc.
Level 10 is supreme-legendary status. This is above Sauron's level.

Here is a list of some potential spells during various spell levels.

Spoiler: Elementalism (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Life (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Sorcery (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Enchanting (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 02:28:01 pm by Nirur Torir »

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 04:22:44 pm »

1) A
2) D&G&E
3) M (Will this make us learn faster?)
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 04:24:38 pm »

1) A
2) D&G&E
3) M (Will this make us learn faster?)
Yes.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 04:24:52 pm »

1. B

2. J, I D

3. L.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 04:31:34 pm »

C

L2: E
L1: D, J

M
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Jervous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 04:47:03 pm »

B

I, E, F

L
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 05:21:11 pm by Jervous »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 04:57:07 pm »

C (act androgynus)

I

L
Three spell school votes, not just one.
I expected more votes for count.

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010, 05:01:07 pm »

I expected more votes for count.
But being a noble is BOORING

C (like varsuvius from OOTS)

J, I, E

L

You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2010, 05:42:07 pm »

Don't forget that you can mix schools to gain a greater range of spells. Conjuration + Elementalism will let you summon elementals, for example. Enchanting is much more powerful when mixed with other schools.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2010, 06:39:46 pm »

C

E J J

M
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2010, 06:45:23 pm »

It was Man of Necromancy!!
Not Man of Wizardry.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2010, 06:50:45 pm »

C
E, F, J
M

So I take it we are the "imps" the character bound to himself?
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2010, 06:55:00 pm »

A
E, J F

K

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2010, 06:57:19 pm »

So I take it we are the "imps" the character bound to himself?
I don't fully understand the question. "Himself?" But yes, after the character is finished, they'll be well aware of the discussion, and know what it is.

It was Man of Necromancy!!
Not Man of Wizardry.
Org  :)

I'll probably leave the voting open for another 12-14 hours or so.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9