Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

1st Round of Babies!  Who gets trained for WAR? Loser gets butchered and fed to the giraffes.

Two Male Turkeys
Two Female Yaks
Female Sugar Beetle
Twin Ferrets, freakishly huge and muscular (for ferrets)
Llama and Alpaca
3 Iguanas
Giant Beetle

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: [31.09] BeastDefects the Desert of Inconvenience Community Fortress  (Read 6200 times)

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [31.09] BeastDefects the Desert of Inconvenience Community Fortress
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2010, 04:41:17 pm »

So things did not turn out so bad with the flying elephants afterall.  I built 20 cage traps before they left the map, but the crafty buggers flew right over them.  No Dumbo in our circus this year.  It is now the 24th of Limestone, so we're in early fall.  Time to start worrying about the start of caravans, although I have no idea how many or when they will arrive between all these civilizations.

But this is where things get interesting.

I continued building roughly as planned with the cavern.  It turns out robots need oil though (for their sexy robo-tans), so I planted a few fields below the cavern, irrigated by it.  Perhaps I will prepare an underground tree farm someday soon.

Anyway, over the course of the summer lots of animals wandered onto this map in the heart of deepest Africa Absolute World.  We caught a solitary Giant Jaguar who was hunting the flying elephants.  He is the animal I most want to get breeding, as soon as I can find him a lady Jaguar. 

Soon after I caught a pair of male sandshrew.

Followed by an entire herd of Giraffes.  We now have 2 bull and 4 cow giraffes caged up in the basement.  I think I'll keep the best looking male and 2 females, and turn the others into very tall sandwiches.

Of course the giraffes were being chased by a flock of Buzzards, who then hung around harassing our pet iguanas (fertile little bastards didn't notice) until I could get the cage traps reset.  It's like the buzzards kept circling the cages until they could get caught.  Clearly life in the Badlands is rough on these guys.  I'm not sure why they're so fat.

When I thought the wildlife had calmed down enough to stop walking into my traps, I went to oversee the production of chains from the copper wire we'd discovered above the cavern (possible our great-great-grand-robots).  I'd like to have at least a pair of each animal chained or caged up in my zoo area before the first traders come.  Accidents are fine, but I don't want an extinction.

Here is the zoo as it currently stands:

As soon as I was done being distracted with that, our first wave of migrants came.  I'll be naming them in a little bit.  There were only 5 though, so we currently have 12 robots.  They brought a Pidgeotto and a baby Bulbasaur with them. 

Just when I thought the animal influx was over, I checked the units page and it turns out the other machines caught 8 more animals while I wasn't looking.  A male and 2 female Armadillos, and the best 5 catches of the game...

3 Large Radscorpions, pincered and poisonous and ready to breed.
and
2 Fire Geckos.  They breath fire and they have a toxic substance in their stomachs that bursts into flame when exposed to the air.  Sadly both female.  But hey, at least they can get impregnated the next time a fire gecko wanders onto the map.

So I have 22 caged animals that need taming. I need to turn a few of them into meat.  Then it's time to prepare my minions for battle.

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2010, 05:12:41 pm »

As soon as I was done being distracted with that, our first wave of migrants came.  I'll be naming them in a little bit.

Ooh! Ooh! Name one of them Megatron! He will lead the Decepticons to glory! :D
Hey, look what I did!
Dr. Melon cancels read post: spelling incredibly poor.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2010, 05:42:46 pm »

So I've built the trade depot.  It's made of copper wire and cactuses.

And another wave of immigrants, although "wave" might be too strong a word.  There were two of them, with their pet Butterfree.  These robots sure like pokemon.

I've also caught 7 Javelina Boars, which are somehow different than the boars I embarked with, not sure how, but these guys look like foot-soldiers to me.

Maybe I'll team them up with this Deathclaw I just caught.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2010, 05:52:54 pm »

Sveet! I liek deathclaws!
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2010, 06:16:25 pm »

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat
This is crazy. You didn't build the trade depot out of microline!I'm going to follow this.
B.T.W you do realize caravans attack all tamed animals, right?

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2010, 08:26:02 pm »

Poke
How ya doing, dood?
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

cappstv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2010, 12:46:12 am »

i wanna be a robot
The French were adept of the "Losing is Fun" philosophy long before Dwarf Fortress.
Pages: 1 [2]