Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Anyone notice...  (Read 2905 times)

Ninteen45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone notice...
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2010, 04:36:01 pm »

Lemmie rephrase: Every time a new game has a gimmick, By sheer chance Toady does something similar, but only better.

I'm not being rude, I'm just saying it's a cool coincidence.
Max characters: 500; characters remaining: 395
Images in your signature must be no higher than 80 pixels.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2010, 04:56:18 pm »

But the thing is, not many gimmicks have parallels in Dwarf Fortress. The connection between Garry's mod and arena mode is tenuous at best, the tanning of hides is just a logical extension of a current dwarf mode feature, and well, those we're your only examples. The coincidence you point out doesn't seem to exist.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2010, 05:12:31 pm »

^This.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Ninteen45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2010, 06:22:48 pm »

But the thing is, not many gimmicks have parallels in Dwarf Fortress. The connection between Garry's mod and arena mode is tenuous at best, the tanning of hides is just a logical extension of a current dwarf mode feature, and well, those we're your only examples. The coincidence you point out doesn't seem to exist.

I do have other examples, but it's all hazy to me.

I'll just say let the thread die...

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2010, 06:26:54 pm »

That Quite a lot of DF's newer features are based off of other games?
These features were planned, like, 10 years ago, and I doubt Toady was influenced by any recently released game - usually he studies subject to far deeper degree, using trustworthy IRL sources. Like geology or medicine.
I tried to reproduce his world generation once, and could not find even good enough references myself.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2010, 06:37:42 pm »

That Quite a lot of DF's newer features are based off of other games?
These features were planned, like, 10 years ago, and I doubt Toady was influenced by any recently released game - usually he studies subject to far deeper degree, using trustworthy IRL sources. Like geology or medicine.
I tried to reproduce his world generation once, and could not find even good enough references myself.

+1
Looks like you need to spend more time coding blocks before you can make masterpieces like Toady_One.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Lasander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2010, 07:13:08 pm »

I dont think the arena is anything like garrys mod.  Garrys mod is a physics sandbox and arena mode is a combat and equipment sandbox.  Sandboxes arent new but I am not going to accuse Toady of stealing anything from other games.  Lots of games have combat sandboxes but that is a natural extension from debugging.

Tanning is just a natural extension to emulating the real world.  Lots of games have you skin a creature and eventually make leather out of it.  Lots of games have water and naturally also has a swimming feature. 

Also, are you saying that using words to describe what an item looks like is an idea that Toady stole from another game? 

Now, if Toady implemented a feature where you raise a tiny fairy who grows into a loli and then to a teenager with pointy ears that helped you out in combat by providing buffs and called it the "Pran system" then I might say he is stealing from Aika online.  However, lots of games have pet systems and the pets go by many names and in many of these games the pets usually evolve in some way and help in combat and are cute and sometimes human-like so is g-potato being original or are they stealing from other games?  Is Toady stealing from D&D because he has swords in the game?  Cloaks are in and I saw cloaks many other games he must of stole that idea too.  He has a world creator so he must of jacked that from SimEarth.
Worship!

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2010, 07:29:24 pm »

Nah toady just stole one red cloak from oots and made then many copys of said red cloak.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2010, 12:25:13 am »

I feel the need to point out that tanning is not actually present in Monster Hunter.

Ninteen45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2010, 02:49:06 am »

BLAH BLAH
3rd time, I'm not accusing him of anything moron.

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2010, 04:05:29 am »

Absolutely.  Toady should really stop stealing features from reality.  If this keeps going on, it'll be just like the real world except with magical midgets.

If I had the inclination, this would be my signature ...

Also ... posting in absurd thread.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2010, 06:53:41 am »

BLAH BLAH
3rd time, I'm not accusing him of anything moron.

I think the problem here is mostly that you hit a sensitive spot for most people.
Because there is a lot of cross-pollination of features in the games industry, and usually some idiots like to use it as 'proof' to call any popular game they don't happen to like inferior.

Ofcourse in the end, game-features are mostly there to make the game fun and to help people immerse. And sometimes one person manages to make a concept into a better gameplay feature then someone else.(Plus, I think in Toady's case it helps that he's his own boss, and can refine a feature as long as he wants to(undead for example))
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Ninteen45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2010, 06:57:11 am »

...And like what I was also saying, if there is a feature similar to one in-game and people here critique on that as well as his version, he has more material to work with and he can refine the smaller details more efficiantly.

ghosteh

• Bay Watcher
  • Free Charles Bronson
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2010, 02:35:25 pm »

You guys are all reading too far into this
I've killed enough humans to know their patterns.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2010, 03:00:59 pm »

if this thread gets locked its just cause its copying all those other threads that got locked.
Pages: 1 [2] 3