Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Anyone notice...  (Read 2902 times)

Ninteen45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Anyone notice...
« on: July 11, 2010, 09:57:54 am »

That Quite a lot of DF's newer features are based off of other games?

I mean, We'll be tanning hides soon enough, just like Monster hunter tri, and Arena mode is similar to Garry's mod...

I guess toady reads the forum for people's opinions on other game elements, and alters them to the forums popular opinion.

So when Fallout: NV comes out, and we critique on the weapon modification system, I'm sure there will be an ability to "alter weapons" or get descriptions from them:
Blackpacked the Short Sword of Engagement is an iron Short Sword. The hilt has a ruby encrusted engraving of a dragon. The blade is jagged. The handle is made from leather from a Wolf, decorated with Dragon teeth.

tl;dr: I think toady is mainly altering and improving featured from other games to make DF better and more appealing to the current audience.
Max characters: 500; characters remaining: 395
Images in your signature must be no higher than 80 pixels.

pickupsticks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone notice...
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 10:15:29 am »

I'm reasonably sure that most of the newer features are covered by things like the Power Goals, and have been on the cards for a while.

Could be mistaken, mind.

EDIT: basic typing skills
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 10:31:25 am by pickupsticks »

Julius Clonkus

• Bay Watcher
  • [NIGHTMARE_FETISHIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 10:24:00 am »

I wouldn't say that these features you gave as examples are based off of other games. I mean, it's only common sense to make hides tannable in adventure mode or add a special gamemode to test added features.

And even if some features are based off of other games, I think it's not bad, considering that more and more well-known games start putting references to DF into them.
Holy schist, this thread is mica me sick.
DF Players never truly leave.  They just abandon the fortress for a few years and then reclaim.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 10:32:29 am »

Oddly enough, sometimes people have similar ideas, resulting in similar products released in a similar time frame, without one having taken the idea from the other. And yeah, those adventure mode ideas have been hovering around for quite a bit (and the idea to have separate parts on weapons and the like have also been previously discussed, for that matter).

To be quite honest, I'm astonished how often creative people are "accused" to have taken ideas from other creative people. It's as if those second people are the only ones capable of independent creativity. Sure, cross-pollination happens, but the accusations quite often seem less than respectful.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Shogger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 10:34:37 am »

I wouldn't compare the arena to Garry's Mod, but some of the crazy stuff in people's megaprojects remind me of equally crazy constructions in Gmod.

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 11:09:09 am »

Er... Just checking, but is this thread to be taken seriously? I mean, we've already had tanning for some time, Arena mode won't let you spawn physical objects, and there have been plans for customization of different item parts (bucket handles and more) for possibly years.

I'm kind of confused.

NFossil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 11:43:33 am »

Well, it's more likely that tanning in many games is based on, you know, real life.

Kilo24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 12:18:38 pm »

Absolutely.  Toady should really stop stealing features from reality.  If this keeps going on, it'll be just like the real world except with magical midgets.

Seriously, he's got a lot of planned features on the books, and looking at how other games have implemented them makes sense.  Myself, though, I can't really think of any mechanics that DF has ripped from any other game, beyond genre-defining ones like RPGs or trivial things like your example of tanning hides before use.  The former is something every game does. The latter is like stealing the idea of using red paint to paint a picture; even if it's technically accurate to call it stealing an idea, telling a dwarf to turn an item into another item so that it can be used is a pretty a basic idea.

StrawberryBunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010, 12:20:38 pm »

Well, it's more likely that tanning in many games is based on, you know, real life.
(16:25:13 ) (+strawberrrybunny) I've decided that I might as well put my almost encyclopedic knowledge of DF to use
(16:25:13 ) <+buttbot> I've decided that I might as well put my almost enbuttlopedic buttledge of DF to use

Dreaming

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2010, 12:25:00 pm »

I don't get the whole stealing ideas issue.

If something is a good idea, then you should sure as hell 'steal' it. By steal, I mean use it as inspiration to do your own thing rather than ripping off the code line by line.

But when somebody invented the seat belt do you think all the other car manufacturers thought 'well, yea, its a good idea, but we don't want to steal ideas...'.

But I think as others have said a lot of concepts are fairly generic and it's hard to attribute anyone having that idea first. Thinks like skill development, training, etc...

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2010, 01:10:18 pm »

Well its easy to say something is stolen. But its just because all programmers are still human, and do live on earth. Having things from real life in the game just make things easier for the player to understand, usually.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2010, 01:19:04 pm »

OP Doesn't understand that the most successful thing a human being can ever do to make something better is to copy it directly.

Seriously, in case you haven't noticed, humanity has built its greatest achievements by copying things from the past; only difference is that those old things have been improved upon and are typically given a different motif or other such small thing to distinguish it. This certainly isn't a bad thing IMO. Unless of course some big heartless corporation sues Toady_One, now that, would be very bad.

Personally speaking, it's all of these copied things that make DF unique. Of course, someone else made all those things before those people that you named who Toady_One copied.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Mipe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2010, 01:35:49 pm »

Ehh... tanning hides is as old as the mankind itself. Or are you going to claim that the cavemen stole this concept from Monster Hunter?

This is ridiculous.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2010, 01:57:21 pm »

Toady I see you stole walking from King's Quest, I demand reparations, you cad, etc.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2010, 02:35:31 pm »

This new update is totally a rip off of this game
Pages: [1] 2 3