Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: 31.10 weapons  (Read 24740 times)

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 31.10 weapons
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2010, 06:50:12 pm »

HOLY SHIT, FEAR THE LASHERS.

Nice. My Militia Commander is a legendary lasher who had kills even in 31.08. He routinely took ears off armoured foes and is nearly impossible to hit. This should be fun to see.
That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.

Rask

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2010, 01:37:26 am »

I figured out how ammo works in the arena (really easy in hindsight), so I did some tests with crossbows. Oh dear, do bolts hurt. Wooden bolts bounce off of steel armour fine, but there's that pesky weak spot in the throat and face that's not covered. Boom, headshot! Copper and iron bolts seem to kill targets fine even through armour. Adamantine didn't help (I'm noticing a trend there), though adamantine bolts seem to work fine. I didn't manage to take down a bronze colossus with bolts, though they do damage it. Hammerdwarfs with good shield skill just block the incoming bolts and run over to bash the crossbowdwarf's head in, but they die quickly if there's more than one enemy shooting at them.

Sevrun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2010, 02:16:16 am »

So digging like a loon for Adamantine isn't quite so useful any more...  huh.
Demon of Darkness

EyeOfNundinate

• Bay Watcher
  • Do you remember the lost Nundinates?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2010, 02:54:10 am »

Adamant is very light, hammers rely on weight to generate blunt force.
Armor no matter how good is ineffective against blunt force.
War hammers are very pointy, and in turn are used for piercing armor.

What have you learned, adamant is a shitty material to make blunt weapons.
Blunt weapons are very effective against armored foe.
And iron war hammer is something to be reckoned with.

techno65535

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2010, 04:00:12 am »

SLADE WARHAMMER!

That is all.
... while being chased by axe-welding cats in the dark.
Scratch that, throwing-axe-wielding cats in the dark.
They're cute but my god that's terrifying.
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

TurkeyXIII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2010, 04:46:42 am »

I had bronze battleaxes constantly being deflected by leather.  Is that normal?
A medium-sized bird with a distinctive fleshy wattle that hangs from the underside of the beak, and a fleshy protuberance that hangs from the top of its beak called a snood.

Rask

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2010, 05:27:47 am »

Another test 20 competent hammerdwarfs, all in full steel, standing in a row twenty tiles away from 20 crossbowdwarfs, all equiped with steel bolts. Fight! End result: 15 crossbowdwarfs survived, some mangled badly. Conclusion: don't charge at ranged.

In addition, ballistas seem to work again, though they aren't back to their former glory. At least not with the wooden bolts I tested.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2010, 06:26:11 am »

Another test 20 competent hammerdwarfs, all in full steel, standing in a row twenty tiles away from 20 crossbowdwarfs, all equiped with steel bolts. Fight! End result: 15 crossbowdwarfs survived, some mangled badly. Conclusion: don't charge at ranged.

In addition, ballistas seem to work again, though they aren't back to their former glory. At least not with the wooden bolts I tested.
That's an incorrect conclusion. :) Better to say "If you are going to charge at ranged, have overwhelming numbers."  The bowdwarves will only cut down so many before you reach them.

Militarily, losing soldiers is perfectly acceptable in the course of winning a battle.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Rask

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2010, 06:35:16 am »

Do your soldiers typically outnumber siege groups? Also: tantrum spiral.

EyeOfNundinate

• Bay Watcher
  • Do you remember the lost Nundinates?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2010, 06:45:43 am »

Do your soldiers typically outnumber siege groups? Also: tantrum spiral.
Technologically ( equipment, traps, animals ) , legendary fuck near everything.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2010, 07:52:52 am »

It's well worth noting that giving shield skill and equipping a shield enhances survivability vs crossbows dramatically, in arena mode at least.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2010, 08:27:56 am »

Dwarf Fortress levels up +2 to Version 31.10!
Dwarf Fortress gains +20% realism!
Dwarf Fortress gains +35% weapon balance!
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Rask

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2010, 08:32:47 am »

It's well worth noting that giving shield skill and equipping a shield enhances survivability vs crossbows dramatically, in arena mode at least.

Agreed. There's a large difference in survivability between dying near instantly and making it almost to the enemy line ;)

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2010, 09:14:42 am »

I have an important question. Do combatants still fly around after getting hit with hammers.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Mangled

• Bay Watcher
  • Sleep is for the weak.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2010, 09:31:08 am »

I have an important question. Do combatants still fly around after getting hit with hammers.
This is all I want to know as well.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5