Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Is there any way to get marksdwarves to shoot at an archery target on .10?  (Read 5617 times)

CautionToTheWind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have the militia commander, the squad, the training orders, the equipment equipped on the dwarves, crossbows, quivers and bolts in the quivers. They just do individual training by the archery targets. Is there any way to make this work?

charred_gp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You might have forgotten to set the archery targets. IIRC hit q, then highlight it and make an archery range (like you would any other room) and set the direction. When it says right to left, up to down etc, it means shooter position to target, so left to right should look like this

X=Target
D=Dwarf
W=Wall
#=Floor

WWWWWWWWW
W###D####XW
W###D####XW
W###D####XW
WWWWWWWWW

Pacho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Heh, ever since the military change I have never been able to get marksdwarves to train with their crossbows either.  at least not to shoot with.

Ammo for training set and available, as well as quivers, archery targets (designated for training, etc) with ammo in the same room and all.

they spend all their time learning to dodge and to bash baddies with their crossbows.

CautionToTheWind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have done all that is suggested above and even some things that you didn't suggest and it does not work. My question was if there anyone had managed to get them to shoot at the damm targets, because i can find the wiki myself, thanks.

The only answer i got was a no. It didn't work for Pacho, it doesn't work for me, and it seems to me that it is unthinkable that this crap got through testing for the April 1st release. Did not a single tester remember that marksdwarves exist? And then this crap should have been the top top top priority but here we are, months later, and even fucking adventure mode features got added instead of fixing these bugs.

Its un-fucking-believable. Toady, i know you are raking it in and everything looks groovy in spite of your lack of results. However the current way DF is developed, namely that you live off donations, requires a high critical mass of devoted fans that will be very very hard to get back if you lose it once. Also, DF is a game that you need a current player to teach a new player, in the vast majority of cases. Now consider that a lot of ppl have stopped playing until it is playable again, and nobody with 2 brain cells is bringing in new players to the current game state.

I am just one player and my past donation may have been a small amount... But think, for fuck's sake, THINK!

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update

Unfortunately, donations don't get you access to the special bug-free version, Caution.  It goes without saying that Toady is working on a very large project and can't fix everything at once, as much as he tries.  At least let him get a full night's sleep after the release before spewing bile on him for not fixing all of the bugs.

There's more productive ways to vent.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 05:08:52 am by Capntastic »

gordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes! I have managed to get a small squad of marksdwarves to shoot at the targets in the latest version. I'd pretty much given up on it from the previous version (40d?) and just settled for melee dwarves. So all I can say is, a migrant wave arrived with three more or less skilled marksdwarves with ranks in archer, marksdwarf, fighter and armor wearer. I added them to their own squad, build a row of five archery targets from wood and set them to inactive. They grabbed metal armor, quivers and bolts which I had bought with me from my expensive embark. I had set the number of bolts they grabbed to a pretty low number, like 20-30. They did mill around and look like they were waiting for training; even though the iron bolts they had were assigned for combat and training, they didnt start practicing until I made them some wood bolts, and assigned THOSE to them under the ammunition tab. So maybe that's the problem? I have a question though - if I have a row of archery targets and I designate ONE of those as a target shooting left to right ( and set a squad to train there ), do all other archery targets selected in the range become part of the same 'barracks' or do i have to designate each target? I had designated two of the targets and they were both being used simultaneously by the squad, but i dont know if its because one was designated or they both were..?

I also set them to kill some buzzards but I think they ran out of bolts early on and beat them to death with the xbows. I'm not surprised, from all the target practice they had done they probably ran out quickly. How many bolts can a quiver hold?

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

But think, for fuck's sake, THINK!

I can tolerate bitterness and I can tolerate incompetence, but not when they're put together. At least you almost entertained me with those words I quoted above. I used the same procedure I described in .04 and it still works. No I'm not going to be helpful and describe it to you in this thread. I don't know whether that's your usual personality or whether you just had a bad day, but it does kill any desire I had to be directly helpful. I'm going to upload the save of this fort (built solely to test archery practice) and explain the procedure in a different thread. Hey I'm being immature right now, I know.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Back in April:  Give us a release!  We don't care if it's buggy!  Release release!  Baaawwww!

Now:  NO TOADY!  Fix this bug.  NO!  THIS BUG!  WHY CAN'T YOU SEE THE GAME IS BROKEN UNTIL YOU FIX THIS BUG?  Baaawwww...

S'rsly, the man just spent 40 hours with almost no sleep over the weekend working on this exact issue and related ones, so even if you aren't  a jerk he already seems to be quite motivated to fix outstanding bugs.  Also, you're wrong and the marksdwarves do in fact train at targets now if you are patient and know how to set it up.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My first thought was "what a penis" but upon reconsideration, he's probably just frustrated and needs a nap. You are not alone, little forum-whiner! But never forget that DF is primarily worked on by one human person. Ask yourself what you think you're accomplishing by using disrespectful language with that one person.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

MaDeR Levap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, this is fustrating, but I would use (and used) less harsh words. Meh, a little more wait is bearable - especially that it seems now to be possible to train marksdwarves with some workarounds (before 31.10 it was AFAIK nigh impossible). Ah well, time to wait for 31.11, where marksdwarves will shoot on archery and in battle when they are supposed right out of the box, without spells, dances and bloody sacrifices for Armok.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile

I do agree that the military should be more smoothed out before adding any more features. 

I just upgraded to .10 and, ironically, only now have I begun experiencing the obnoxious equipment bugs where half my trained dwarves run into battle sans equipment, while the rest all carry three shields. I suppose I don't really begrudge Toady adding a couple of adventurer skills to keep from going crazy with boredom, but soldiers should be at least as functional as they were in .40 before diving into a whole new arc.  It isn't too much to ask to have the basic functionality of a previous version.

That said, Misterstone is absolutely right.  The forum community wanted the new version as soon as possible, no matter the bugs.  You can't really blame Toady for giving us exactly what we asked for, good and hard.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Stop it, white knights. The great toady is surely above our petty human emotions and simply considers the OP a simple complaint rather than bitchy whining, as you do.

Be glad the OP is here! Celebrate our togetherness! The more, the merrier, and if some of the more are angry instead of merry, then just let them be angry! Armok le vult!
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Mckee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No offence to the OP, but Toady is one bloke and he has put together more than I ever could (How many of us can say otherwise?). Acting like he owes you an immediate bug fix and his first born child is rude and not very productive. The game is free, he can do what he likes, and its not as if he has actively sabotaged marksdwarves, its a bug, an unintended problem. It will be fixed and if you look at the improvements from the first release of this 'version' 0.31... whatever, to now, he's done a lot, and we can assume the issues will iron themselves out shortly.

Its playable without marksdwarves, there are a multitude of possible work arounds or possible fixes. Be patient and cheer up.
'What good is a lesson if your idiot is too dead to learn from it?'

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
  • His lower body is melted.
    • View Profile

I know how you feel, Caution.  I have canceled the submission of quite a few posts like yours (and failed to cancel others).  I've tried to make a rule to at least wait an hour or two before posting about this or that thing that shouldn't/should be in the game but is/isn't.

Yes, Toady's preference for adding new features before fixing existing ones is infuriating, especially when those additions take a feature that worked in 40d and kill it, psycho-stab it, cut it into little pieces, and force-feed it to its family members.  Yes, I've wished that the code were open so I could try to mod my own fixes in for things I didn't like (the new channeling, allowed FB materials, etc.).  Yes, I wonder why it took 10 versions to get a military that now almost doesn't get wiped out as soon as anything more dangerous than a particularly bad-tempered celery stalk decides to attack it (wait, do FBs come in vegetable form?). 

But because Toady is the worldly avatar of Armok, we have no choice but to wait and see what he does next, and it's possible that antagonizing him may make him less responsive to requests to fix whichever isssue is the game-breaking bug of the day.

I've found that the best pattern to adopt is to play 40d until playing 2010 seems like a good idea (usually this occurs on the release of a new version), play 2010 for about 20 to 300 minutes, curse Toady's name, take a break (DO NOT post on the forums during this part, and don't even think about emailing Toady), and then go back to playing 40d and repeat.  Over the long term, I've noticed that the tolerable span of time during which one can continue to play 2010 slowly increases.  Eventually this span of time will be equal to the life cycle of a fortress and reaching the cursing phase will become a rare occurrence.
Diso Faintpuzzles was born in 120.  Although accounts vary it is universally agreed that Diso was chosen by fate as the vanguard of destiny.

In the early spring of 143 Diso began wandering the wilds.

In the early spring of 143 Diso starved to death in the Horn of Striking.

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Caution I want to rip you a new one for the way you treat Toady.

All im going to do is point to you to all the bug fixes hes been focusing on.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It is literally fifty times more then the new items he has added recently.

Relax, just wait things will get done in time
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 01:26:33 am by mnjiman »
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.
Pages: [1] 2