Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 17

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.10 Released  (Read 81190 times)

billw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.10 Released
« Reply #180 on: July 15, 2010, 12:39:26 pm »

up on this, I think it's a bit out of my league unless I can find some program to do it for me. It would be useful if someone did this, though.

I think you shouldn't do this. DF is Toady's income, people being directed to the site to download helps towards getting donations.

Dwarf Therapist on the other hand is on an open source license, so branching it and compiling for linux is perfectly acceptable. Pretty sure it uses Qt which is linux compatible (I think?).
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 12:41:10 pm by billw »

turgidtoupee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 15, 2010, 12:51:26 pm »

up on this, I think it's a bit out of my league unless I can find some program to do it for me. It would be useful if someone did this, though.

I think you shouldn't do this. DF is Toady's income, people being directed to the site to download helps towards getting donations.

Dwarf Therapist on the other hand is on an open source license, so branching it and compiling for linux is perfectly acceptable. Pretty sure it uses Qt which is linux compatible (I think?).

I never thought of that. I shall leave it be, and maybe leave it here as a suggestion for toady in the future.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #182 on: July 15, 2010, 07:10:58 pm »

NM, I think it's my fault.   :-[
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 07:24:57 pm by slink »
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

vehka

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 16, 2010, 07:22:44 am »

What, it can change dwarf colors or change my military to be full-time?
Not an option anyway, since there's no linux version.

Dwarf therapist is indeed available for linux. I'm an über-newbie to Dwarf fortress, but it seems to work ok! Just do a search for "linux" on the download section of the Therapist site.

Metroid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 16, 2010, 09:15:01 pm »

Toady, I know you will not see this way in the back here, but thanks a lot. You're so kind to share the product of your hard work with us so that we may enjoy hours upon hours of entertainment. I will always be a fan.
Euler's identity can be used to quickly (and informally) verify DeMoivre's Theorem.

Mipe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 17, 2010, 01:57:46 am »

That is why you are going by Metroid and not Urist.

Nah, just teasing ;)

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 17, 2010, 07:04:04 pm »

Yeah marksdwarves are not fixed--they refused to shoot gobbos unless i open the draw bridge and let them charge the gobbos.

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #187 on: July 17, 2010, 08:05:44 pm »

I feel like there's been an overall slowdown in Linux land. Periodically freezes up and has long periods of low framerate.
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 17, 2010, 10:39:39 pm »

I have a small oddity. Started viewing stuff for haul-to-depot.
A named goblin's bone (stack of five), weighing 78 units. Really heavy. Basic value 0 as of all bones.
Also have 2h-camel bone, stack of 17, weighing 68 units.
Also have 2h-camel bone, stack of 17, weighing 84 units.
I don't think bones should weigh the same as twice a unit of wood logs.

Hah! That sounds like a problem of volume and mass.  (I made a thread on that, you know...)

I'm guessing the thing is, you get the same number of bones no matter how big the camel is, but bigger camels have bigger bones.  The bones have the same density, but larger volume, and correspondingly, more mass.

Bone should probably be slightly denser than water (1000 kg/m^3, and Toady appears to adhere to kg/m^3 for his density scale), which is slightly denser than wood, but I don't see an easy number in the raws. 

Regardless, the real problem is that wooden logs are about half the size of the bones of humanoid-sized or camel-sized creatures. 

Goblins have an average "size" of 60,000 in the raws.  Size appears consistant through the raws, and appears to correlate to 1 ml per unit, and density of creatures overall should be roughly similar to water, so goblins should weigh 60 kg on average.  Camels, on the other hand, have a size of 500,000 in the raws, and by the same logic should mass 500 kg. 

The fact that those two creatures are giving very similar masses for what should be radically different bone volumes and similar densities (unless this game actually has bone density mechanics that can result in bones roughly 9 times denser than other creatures, I don't know...) are very strange.

EDIT: This is also odd, because I'm getting goblin bones to typically be weighing in at 7-10 kg in the arena when I throw them to a giant tiger...
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 10:56:33 pm by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Mein Gott

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 18, 2010, 08:12:46 am »

Hello in my first post.

I dont know if this is a version bug, or an effect of my actions: unclean in any way dwarf tries to use soap, takes it, and the info pops up - "... cancels clean self: area inaccesible" - the very same one as in previous versions but with dwarfs instead of animals.
My mentioned actions is beggining the fort in v0.31.03 and importing in to v0.31.10 - is it related?

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 18, 2010, 09:03:21 am »

dwarf tries to use soap, takes it, and the info pops up - "... cancels clean self: area inaccesible" - the very same one as in previous versions but with dwarfs instead of animals.

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=1023
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 18, 2010, 09:07:39 am »

Yeah marksdwarves are not fixed--they refused to shoot gobbos unless i open the draw bridge and let them charge the gobbos.

They need a clear line of fire.  Also, I'm guessing you gave a "Kill" order through the s screen.  That will probably make them move toward the enemy until they can see him, and then start firing.  Meanwhile, the goblins will also see the dwarves, and will charge (or return fire).  Not a good situation for a marksdwarf.

What I did instead was build a wall two tiles thick at the bottom, with a fortification on top of it (and a constructed stairway leading up).  Marksdwarves are able to stand on the wall, behind the fortification, and fire outward.  When a siege approaches, give the marksdwarves a Station (move) order to a spot on the wall.  They'll wait for the enemies to approach, and then start firing.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Rkui

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 18, 2010, 10:21:03 am »

Are wrestlers a bit too strong in this last version? My recruit wrestlers are now beating the crap of armor goblins and kill them in a matter of second. Back in .08 i sometime had to send an axelord finish the poor goblins just to stop the fight. Don't know if it is intented or not.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 10:38:15 am by Rkui »

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 18, 2010, 10:54:49 am »

Iirc. Said goblins arent that competent either. Mere recruits at best under one Axelord lasher or whatever. 
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 18, 2010, 01:39:27 pm »

Actually, TomiTapio, did you remake your goblins into Ender Goblins with a size of 2,000,000 or something?  I can't see many other ways for five goblin bones to weigh basically as much as an entire goblin normally weighs, when normal goblins have about 22 bones.  Elsewise, there is some very bizzare mechanic making your goblin far more massive than they should be.

I also did some research on the matter:

I just did some play with bones.

Remember, I don't know the exact density of bones right now...

Specifically, I embarked with elephants as common_domestic and pet_value 1 along with similarly low-value cats.

Cats provide 4 bones that weigh less than a kg total.

Elephants provide differing amounts of bones (lol, 2/3s a skeleton?) such as 53 and 67 bones, but more tellingly, the 67 bone pile weighed in at just over 901 kgs, which blows cat bones out of the water in terms of volume.

This means that any individual elephant bone weighs on average 13.45 kg.  The cat bones must weigh less than a quarter of a kg, each. 

Now then, in spite of this massive difference in the mass of a bone (which, presuming there is an even remotely comparable density, means the volume is different, presumably with the elephant bones being around 80 times the volume of a cat bone), each elephant bone only made 5 bone bolts, the same as a cat bone.

For reference, the raws say that (now that Toady apparently upped their volume to make them more deadly) crossbow bolts are 150 size (which is .15 liters of material), which means they combine to make .75 liters of material.  Bone, again, should be denser than water, but it's not surprising that even the 5 elephant bone bolts were still less than a kg in mass, meaning a density of less than 1333 kg/m^3, so again ,we cannot say extraordinary density.

This means we have a bone that masses in at 13.45 kg being reduced down to less than a kg in bone crossbow bolts, with all the rest of the bone wasted.  In fact, the tiny cat bones produced essentially the same material for what essentially amounts to 1/80th of the material.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 01:57:45 pm by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 17