Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.10 Released  (Read 81243 times)

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.10 Released
« Reply #105 on: July 12, 2010, 12:48:35 pm »

The save of this experimental fort (built solely to test this feature).

Wow, awesome.  Thank you for uploading that.  I tried to get archery practice to occur by following your checklist first, but it just wasn't working.  My dwarves had the crossbows equipped, quivers equipped and full of bolts, etc.  So then I looked at your save to see what you'd done differently from me.

I noted three things that were different: you had skill in Marksdwarf/Archery; you had explicit material bolts assigned to both hunters and the squad; and you had explicit crossbow assignments under equipment, rather than individual ranged.

The first thing I changed was to unassign all the barracks definitions (all four), then went into the military equipment screen and changed "ranged, individual choice" to "crossbow" as you had.  I waited a few seconds of active game time, then went back in and verified that the crossbows had all been assigned correctly (green checkmarks).  Then I remade the barracks, all at once (without hitting escape -- just moved the cursor to the next building).  My archery target was set up off to the side, partially behind a stone wall.  I made sure the barracks definition from the target overlapped the other three buildings.

And voila!  The militia commander shows "Go to Archery Practice"! :D

It's also worth noting that even before examining your save, I was able to get them to fire their bolts at enemies when I gave kill orders.  They just weren't very good shots, since they'd had no practice.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #106 on: July 12, 2010, 12:57:16 pm »

I'm having something odd in my current fort, started under modded .31.10. Mining and woodcutting isn't going on anymore, no matter how many miners or woodcutters I command.

Have 6 axes and 7 picks but I don't know where they are. Certainly not in miner's hand. Some are in weapon bin in weapon stockpile. Tried dumping the axes and claiming them from the dump pile.
Forged two axes and two picks and immediately got some digging and felling going.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 12:59:01 pm by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 12, 2010, 12:59:37 pm »

then went into the military equipment screen and changed "ranged, individual choice" to "crossbow" as you had

This step may have been necessary to circumvent 0000084: Individual choice ranged/melee apparently ignores whether weapon is ranged or melee

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 12, 2010, 01:02:04 pm »

I'm having something odd in my current fort, started under modded .31.10. Mining and woodcutting isn't going on anymore, no matter how many miners or woodcutters I command.

Have 6 axes and 7 picks but I don't know where they are. Certainly not in miner's hand. Some are in weapon bin in weapon stockpile. Tried dumping the axes and claiming them from the dump pile.
Forged two axes and two picks and immediately got some digging and felling going.

That's this bug (and maybe this one too).  If it shows up again, uploading a save to DFFD would be helpful.

Varjo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 12, 2010, 01:30:29 pm »

Thanks, this was helpfull. I think im close to have my archery practice working :)

Thoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 12, 2010, 02:54:43 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Projectile#Typical_projectile_speeds
http://www.greenmanlongbows.co.uk/green_man_longbows_longbow_speed_testing.htm

Most are a bit high tech for DF, but a 175lb pull crossbows rated at 97 m/s and an 80lb draw pistol crossbow is 58 m/s, and assuming the elves have something similar to the english longbow which has a 38lb draw rated at 172fps which is 52 m/s, so perhaps the 2h for the dwarves and the pistol crossbow for the gobbo's and for the tree loving hippies the longbow, but obv with a faster fire rate than the crossbows.
"Do not offend the chair leg of Truth. It is wise and terrible" - (Urist) Spider Jerusalem

Torham

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 12, 2010, 03:06:17 pm »

I have a quick question.
Does item quality have any effect on the items in the new combat system? Is masterwork armour stronger than normal armour? are high quality weapon sharper and more damaging? In the old system it was easy, quality had a direct bonus to damage/defense.
I, for one, welcome our new Pony Overlords.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 12, 2010, 03:12:24 pm »

Weapons quality affects their edge I think.
Armor quality increases the amount of deflect rolls.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 12, 2010, 03:13:40 pm »

Does item quality have any effect on the items in the new combat system? Is masterwork armour stronger than normal armour? are high quality weapon sharper and more damaging? In the old system it was easy, quality had a direct bonus to damage/defense.

It still roughly works that way:

Quote from: Toady One
Right now, armor skill gives an increase to a deflection roll, and armor quality boosts the deflection roll, and a good deflection roll lowers the effective force of the strike.

[...]

I think I did armor quality somewhere in this post.  For weapons, it currently increases the chance to score a hit at all as usual, and it'll also make edged weapons start sharper.

Torham

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 12, 2010, 03:44:41 pm »

Excellent, Thanks for the swift reply.
This means i can continue training my blacksmiths. They are mass producing steel serrated discs atm. At the entrance of my Fort is what goblins call "The corridor of Carnage" hehe. Too bad the combat report only switches on when someone actually start attacking enemies, when the traps do the killing there are no combat reports ( unless someone engaged in combat first). Judging by all the blood and severed parts ARMOK is very happy. well back to fort...

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 12, 2010, 04:02:02 pm »

I get combat reports when monsters hit weapon traps.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Torham

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 12, 2010, 04:56:05 pm »

wow. I think bolts from weapon traps have been nefred. I had a full(10) crossbow weapon trap unleash a volley of wooden bolts on gobo ambusher. He deflected about 4 of the bolts mid flight ( i guess with his shield) and the rest were harmlessly stopped by his cave spider silk cloak. As it stands it looks like the serrated discs are most effective, because I had one gobo dodge and deflect giant axe blades. He wasn't as successful with the serrated discs. ....

Although spider silk is said to be stronger than steel.... hmmm (runs off to harvest spiders)..

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 12, 2010, 05:09:57 pm »

Spoiler: X-/bow discussion (click to show/hide)

edit:

Toady already said that flexible stuff goes "haha i am flexible!" on anything incoming. Thus it isnt that bad at all just to strong - i could imagine that the cloth/leather deploys the force of a blow over a to large area here - like the entire size of the item. If the damage calculation deploys now the force uniformly over the entire item instead gradually outward from the weapons Contact-area, you will never reach a point where you overcome the shear value. A gradual deployment of force over an area would be right thus less force the farer you are away from the Center of the hit. The form of the contact-area of a blade must here taken into acount because its a thin line (or a point in case of pointy ammo) and not a circle as for Maces. Thus the force would be deployed a little bit defferent in comparsion to maces etc.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 05:29:09 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 12, 2010, 05:26:38 pm »

Enjoying the changes so far, and I haven't found any major new bugs. Looking forward to more bug fixes!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Mafia_Puppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 12, 2010, 06:08:45 pm »

I updated my game moved my save folder into the new version and then updated the save raws), and now my dwarves won't use stockpiles at all. Is this a problem anyone's had before? I've updated versions before without problems.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17