Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.10 Released  (Read 79826 times)

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.10 Released
« Reply #225 on: July 20, 2010, 10:42:55 pm »

Dammit, my fort is dying a FPS death. So sad. I wish for fps boost fixes in future versions :-[

Me too.  I get up to 100 dwarfs and my fortress just crawls.

I'm going to try my next fortress with a population cap of 7 so this doesn't happen.  =)

Yeah haha, dumping 700 useless dog tallow to reuse the barrels for booze takes like 40 minutes with 80 dwarves and 10 fps. The day DF goes multithreaded is the day I die of joy.

It isn't already? Damn. Wish I'd known that, I could clear an entire core to deal with DF, and all the other windows functions on the other.

Any reasonably recent kernel of any major OS should do a good job automatically keeping a long-running 100%-cpu thread to its own core. I doubt manually managing it will yield a noticeable speed boost.

But yeah. The heart of DF is decidedly monothreaded. I have a sneaking suspicion fixing that would take nothing short of a complete rewrite, because single-threaded code can make SO many assumptions that parallel code can't.
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: July 20, 2010, 11:54:55 pm »

But yeah. The heart of DF is decidedly monothreaded. I have a sneaking suspicion fixing that would take nothing short of a complete rewrite, because single-threaded code can make SO many assumptions that parallel code can't.
Well, actually that depends what do you count as 'multi-threaded'. Some 'fork-join' models are quite easy to apply on particular loops which are heavy computation-wise.
Things like OpenMP let you do it near-automatically.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: July 21, 2010, 02:15:48 am »

Actually, I expect a lot of improvements can be had from algorithmic improvements - reducing the amount of work DF does, instead of increasing the CPU power available to it.

That's far less likely to cause new bugs, so..
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: July 21, 2010, 05:17:57 am »

Dammit, my fort is dying a FPS death. So sad. I wish for fps boost fixes in future versions :-[

What's your embark size, citizen count and animal count? And do you have water or magma flows moving about?

default embark size, 80 dwarves, around 20 animals, no flows around except for a normal river, temperature and weather turned off

my base was underwater though so maybe that had an impact on the fps
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Rkui

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: July 21, 2010, 09:07:54 am »

This is why all soldiers should have a civilian skill. Every time they switch from military to civilian mode, they will get a bad thought from insecurity if they don't have any worth as a civilian. Doesn't matter if they ever do that job or not, they need some skill in a civilian job.

Well when you have few of your best soldiers blink red during years its bit scary for your population. Especially those bugged that can jungle with half a dozen steel axe of best quality with one hand (other is cut off)  ???
It should never have reached that point in the first place. Preventation > Cure.

This is why i posted it here directly to Toady, i don't think you can do anything to prevent it. One full sheduled month of patrol/station seam to be too long for them to support and i deleted all my patrols to try to stop the spiral. But even if you only let them train all the time, you'll eventually give them an order for an ambush/beast/siege and it seam when you cancel the order to have them return to their occupations, some return to civilian even if your full squad is set to train. I tryed everything so none will return to civilian, but i think something is just bugged here.
And the guys throw their tantrum, i was lucky it was after i send them kill a beast in the cavern, so i just lost soldiers. 3 axelords dead, gloups.  :-\

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: July 21, 2010, 10:46:37 am »

This is why all soldiers should have a civilian skill. Every time they switch from military to civilian mode, they will get a bad thought from insecurity if they don't have any worth as a civilian. Doesn't matter if they ever do that job or not, they need some skill in a civilian job.

Well when you have few of your best soldiers blink red during years its bit scary for your population. Especially those bugged that can jungle with half a dozen steel axe of best quality with one hand (other is cut off)  ???
It should never have reached that point in the first place. Preventation > Cure.

This is why i posted it here directly to Toady, i don't think you can do anything to prevent it. One full sheduled month of patrol/station seam to be too long for them to support and i deleted all my patrols to try to stop the spiral. But even if you only let them train all the time, you'll eventually give them an order for an ambush/beast/siege and it seam when you cancel the order to have them return to their occupations, some return to civilian even if your full squad is set to train. I tryed everything so none will return to civilian, but i think something is just bugged here.
And the guys throw their tantrum, i was lucky it was after i send them kill a beast in the cavern, so i just lost soldiers. 3 axelords dead, gloups.  :-\
You missed the point. It's very easy to prevent. No peasant is ever allowed to be a soldier - make them a qualified citizen with work experience before you draft them. Wood cutting, Furnace Operating, Plant Processing, Brewing - this a non-exhaustive list of jobs that train very quickly depending on how you set up your industries. Trying to keep them military 100% of the time is not how the system works - it's geared towards dwarves frequently swapping between civilian and military depending on the needs of the fortress. Now you can argue you prefer the old 40d system where well-trained soldiers never ever do civilian work and thus you didn't have to give them work experience. But you can't argue that it's impossible to prevent soldiers getting unhappy because they're discharged from duty too often.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Rkui

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: July 21, 2010, 04:21:48 pm »

No i like the way it work now. For the rest i'm not sure it make a lot of sense, you should be able to have pro soldiers, and the fact they are peasant shouldn't be a factor either. Hauling job is maybe the worth in a fort, at least in mine, since i like them clean from rocks for exemple.
Maybe i should have choose my recruit better.
Anyway, its not a big deal really, its just few soldiers on a few squads, like 3/5 on 25 soldiers. But as i said its more the feeling of being totally helpless even taught you saw it coming ingame years ago. As i said its not much what and how i did it with my fort, its more about small little tweak due to the military changes and bug fixes. All is very secondary taugh, so mayeb i should just stop talking about this, i'm not against mad dwarfs and violent death anyway.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: July 21, 2010, 04:57:42 pm »

I get the impression a permanent standing army is something that needs nobles or even the king for. Until then, all military are Militia. They're never meant to be professionals.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Mysteriousbluepuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: July 21, 2010, 09:41:18 pm »

Maybe assigning all your peasent millitia/angry guy in their own sqaud would help. Dont break them out of the training unless they are trully needed, and they should have time to less angry about the whole ordeal.

I like the idea of a squad composed of angry dwarfs always training and sent into battle as a last resort. Sounds Berserk-y good for me.

Rkui

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: July 22, 2010, 12:33:54 am »

I get the impression a permanent standing army is something that needs nobles or even the king for. Until then, all military are Militia. They're never meant to be professionals.

Well i wouldn't be against the fact Noble give something to your fort. Nobles are knows to be military leaders, religious, and also leader for great projects (like make a 10z level tower, rather than give me an artifact), they could also attract better quality workers (artist) from the map (even have some other race worker coming), like some great emperor did in real life. Thats just ideas, but it would be nice.

Mysterious i would really have done this, but the problem is that they seam to go civilian you want it or not, i think something is bugged about this, i also taught of making them educator for new recruits, since those i was talking about really had great skills, any kind of smooth "retirement" would have been great. I aslo wanted to let them alone when i send the squad to do some order like kill or station, but my game crash when i pick only few soldiers from a squad.

There is an other possibility to resolve the problem, if the vets are over trained and don't want to do any other type of job (as it was in 40), then disable the "go civilian" feature on them. Now i don't code the game, and i kind of didn't play for maybe a year, so if i say stupid things just don't mind about it.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: July 22, 2010, 08:54:44 am »

.11 has so many incredible bugfixes, I'm so anxious to get my hands on it :o
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Totaku

• Bay Watcher
  • The little oni that strikes the earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: July 22, 2010, 09:06:09 am »

Yup, it shouldn't be long now before it's out. Today or tomorrow is when he's expecting to get it released according to his one update. Then I guess that'll mean he'll be back to his month end project before going back and working on the new world gen feature for .12.
That's one small step for man, one giant leap for Otakukind!

And maker of the mod in progress known as Suika Fortress Now for 0.34.xx!

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: July 22, 2010, 09:08:07 am »

My guess is tomorrow, Toady isn't online atm and I have a feeling he won't be for a while as he was earlier and there was no release back then :P

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: July 22, 2010, 09:47:15 am »

Toady just added a bunch of typos/duplicate entries/mistakes in the raws and a bit of stuff in the manual this morning to whats fixed.

@Totaku: What new worldgen feature for .12 are you talking about?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 09:49:19 am by smjjames »

Totaku

• Bay Watcher
  • The little oni that strikes the earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: July 22, 2010, 10:35:38 am »

Toady just added a bunch of typos/duplicate entries/mistakes in the raws and a bit of stuff in the manual this morning to whats fixed.

@Totaku: What new worldgen feature for .12 are you talking about?

I'm mainly reffering to the population entity rewrite that toady has planned. That'll supposedly track populations and entity builds to a whole different degree. (should be in the development page). This is suppose to be one of the core things needed for Toady to make adventure mode into something more developed than just a sandbox experiment (and to allow him to start developing the other features to be added to adventure mode)
That's one small step for man, one giant leap for Otakukind!

And maker of the mod in progress known as Suika Fortress Now for 0.34.xx!
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17