Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Which Version Compatible With Netbooks  (Read 853 times)

xDarkz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Which Version Compatible With Netbooks
« on: July 11, 2010, 02:22:05 am »

I have a small, fragile netbook I carry around from and to school. Little do the professors know I'm fiddling with Dwarf Fortress during their lectures, muahaha.

In any case, my FPS is still pretty low after making all the tweaks possible. I was wondering what version would be best for my case, SDL or Legacy? Someone explained it to me before but I still don't quite understand.

Does the "Small Windows (No Music)" versions of both provide me with higher FPS? What is the differences that "Small Windows (No Music)" provide anyways?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Which Version Compatible With Netbooks
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 02:29:41 am »

The difference is just what it says; it's a smaller download because it doesn't include the music. No other difference.

The SDL version has much better-optimized graphics code, which may be relevant to you, so if that works, by all means use it (and try to mess with the graphics mode options in the init file to see which works best for you).
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 11:50:29 am »

The low FPS in this case is probably from the standard thing that lowers FPS: pathfinding. Your netbook probably doesn't have a very powerful CPU (they eat power) so that only compounds the problem. There isn't much you can do about this (other than have very few dwarves and limit other things from your (very small) map) without changing the hardware around a lot (taking it outside of the box would probably be required to make it fit). SDL vs Legacy is just how the graphics are displayed and probably wouldn't have a very large affect in this case.

Xenoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 01:42:32 pm »

Yep, you're almost certainly CPU limited, which means your only hope is to run small forts, in small embark areas, on small worldgens, and keep your livestock as caged up as possible.

Austinthecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 02:03:26 pm »

I run the the SDL version on my netbook (an HP mini with a 1.66 Ghz Intel Atom processor and a gig of ram, windows 7 starter)  and it I get around 50fps. Like the previous posters have suggested, I never play more than a 3x3 fortress, and having a population larger than ~20 and animals running everywhere slows everything down.
Now the game does hang up a bit when it loads and saves, but all in all the game runs reasonably well on my netbook.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 09:50:48 pm »

SDL vs Legacy is just how the graphics are displayed and probably wouldn't have a very large affect in this case.

Yes it would. Offloading the graphics processing to the GPU more is effective when you're limited by your CPU, since then the CPU is doing less work on the graphics.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

xDarkz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 10:03:15 pm »

Thank you for all the replies :].
In this case, would uping/decreasing the G_FPS have any effect?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 10:07:12 pm by xDarkz »

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 10:42:58 pm »

Decreasing it might have an effect; it's not really a dangerous option to try out, so try setting it lower if you want. I wouldn't set it below 10, though, and it might not have a significant effect anyway.