Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anti-Burrow  (Read 1607 times)

julesp

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Anti-Burrow
« on: July 11, 2010, 02:06:54 am »

Loving the burrows option, tanks Toady.

What I would love to see implemented is an anti burrow, basically a zone you demarcate just like a burrow but makes it off limits to all dwarfs by default, you can then exclude dwarfs from the anti burrow in a similar fashion as you include them in burrows.

Also to piggy back here:
can we have a way to select all dwarfs with 1 keypress in burrow menu, and all items in a certain category on the trade depot menu, and the ability to select all items in the trade menu? sometimes it would be easier to have it select all for trade and then mark off manually the ones you dont want to trade than to have to select all the ones you do want to trade.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Anti-Burrow
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 02:28:48 am »

I think that burrow definition could be expanded a lot.

I'd like to see warning on delete; copying a burrow; and subtraction from a burrow.  (Subtraction might make for a decent anti-burrow: just burrow everything, then subtract the anti-burrow.)
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

julesp

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 02:33:52 am »

We can substract very easily from a burrow, that's what I use as my anti burrow for the time being, but an anti burrow or no go zone would be sweet and I think very easy to implement.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 02:39:25 am »

I was going to ask you how, but I just figured it out-- lol, I never knew :)  That's cool.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 05:52:27 am »

This has been suggested at least once already, probably more.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=60010.msg1350638#msg1350638

Mckee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 07:50:58 am »

Also, the traffic settings usually stop most dwarves entering an area unless necessary to reach something, setting restricted zones could be a solution to 'anti-burrows' for now.
'What good is a lesson if your idiot is too dead to learn from it?'

LordZorintrhox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 09:53:15 am »

Just have all burrows have two lists: permitted personnel and forbidden personnel.

Permitted personnel can target jobs in burrows they belong to.
Forbidden personnel can't travel through a burrow they are banned from.
Anyone in neither category acts as they do now if they aren't in a burrow: they can't target jobs, avoid the burrow, but travel through it if they must.
...but their muscles would also end up looking like someone wrapped pink steel bridge-cables around a fire hydrant and then shrink-wrapped it in a bearskin.

HEY, you should try my Dwarfletter tileset...it's pretty.
I make games, too

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 11:08:00 am »

Anti-burrows, while useful, would bork the connectivity maps for pathfinding. You'll have to solve that problem first.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 05:50:15 am »

Is there a way to exclude a dwarf from a civilian alert burrow?

I had a vampire burrowed in a mineshaft maiking precious furniture because she is a legendary mason.

When I got an ambush I defined a civilian alert burrow and activated it to get all my dwarves in the fortress. Obviously, that allowed the vampire to head straight for the bed rooms and find a sleeping victim ... ^^

Wellincolin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 06:02:13 am »

Anti-burrows, while useful, would bork the connectivity maps for pathfinding. You'll have to solve that problem first.

Pathfinding problems?

OH NO LORD, NO, PLEASE. TAKE ME AWAY, TAKE ME AWAY.

Yes, we're all traumatized about pathfinding problems and I don't want more NO MATTER WHAT. I'm pretty sure Toady is working his hardest on pathfinding, since it's a critical bug right now (probably resulting into many FPS deaths and deaths for weird reasons which are obscured by pathfinding).
"The WereAss collides with The Ostrich Cock!
The Ostrich Cock is knocked over and tumbles backward!

The Ostrich Cock is no longer stunned.
The Ostrich Cock stands up."

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2012, 10:58:08 pm »

I agree with the anti burrow concept.

I would also like to suggest a potential intermediate measure until such a feature can be fully implemented:
When defining a new burrow, there should be an option to initially define the burrow asincluding the entire map. Players could then delete the areas that they don't want dwarves going to from the burrow and that would function identically to the proposed anti-burrows for the purposes of dwarves and alert states with only a single associated burrow
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2012, 04:56:24 pm »

Except that the OP imagines that the anti-burrow would prevent pathing. Still, that seems like a good idea.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Trebor1503

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2012, 02:03:19 pm »

I would like the option of having burrows be active or inactive. I mostly use the burrow option right now to pull all my dwarfs inside when attacked. Once the attack is over I would like a one button deactivate rather than unassigning all 93 dwarves from the burrow.

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2012, 03:08:08 pm »

I would like the option of having burrows be active or inactive. I mostly use the burrow option right now to pull all my dwarfs inside when attacked. Once the attack is over I would like a one button deactivate rather than unassigning all 93 dwarves from the burrow.

oh man, I am totally going to make your day here: you can already do this, and it's really easy.  You want to use Alerts rather than assigning/unassigning all of your dwarves to the burrow one at a time.

1. Define and name a burrow, call it something appropriate like "Inside"
2. Go to the (M)ilitary screen, then to (A)lerts, then press (c) to "Add alert".
3. (N)ame alert and call it something appropriate, like "PANIC!".
4. Press the -> arrow key to move the selector over to the far right-side "Burrows" column, and highlight your "Inside" burrow.  This tells it that you want all your civilians to stay inside that burrow when the selected Alert is activated.

5. Now Press <- arrow to move back to the far left "Alerts" column, select your "PANIC!" alert, and press Enter.  This should move the green [CIV] indicator to this alert, activating it.

Now sit back and watch as all your civilians go to the burrow.  Your military dwarves will not, so use separate alerts or Station commands to get them to do something different, if you like.

Beats assigning 90 dwarves one by one, eh?  When you're done, just move the [CIV] alert back to "Inactive" and everyone will resume business as normal.  :)

--nomad_delta

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2012, 06:23:03 pm »

Alerts also stop dwarves from wandering outside on random tasks.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.