Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The SDL version looks like ass and now I am SAD.  (Read 1673 times)

Demetrious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The SDL version looks like ass and now I am SAD.
« on: July 11, 2010, 01:42:16 am »

So after the latest release came out with the combat fixes, I decided it was time to get back into the Dorfs and the Forts and such, and start using this newfangled "#" stuff with it's promises of milk and honey and higher frame-rates.

Except, no matter WHAT I punch into that ^@#&*$ init file, I CANNOT GET FULLSCREEN TO NOT BE RETARDED. No matter what the hell I do, the "game window" where everything is displayed stays entirely too small off in the upper-left-hand corner. Absolutely NOTHING I change in the init file changes this, and I've tried it all. I've got a 1440x900 widescreen laptop, but DF doesn't seem to give a damn what I type into the fullscreen resolution init field.

I can't get answers from the wiki, because right now it's a fantastic fustercluck, with eleventy-billion pages labeled 'DWARF FORTRESS 2010 INFORMATION COMING REALLY SOON GUYS," which are hollow lies.

Help me, bay12, before my bitterness and rage make me do something drastic, like vote third-party or something.
I like the fact we are seriously discussing how to drop dwarfs off towers using  kittens as cushions.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The SDL version looks like ass and now I am SAD.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 01:58:32 am »

Have you tried resizing the window via your OS (in Windows, clicking on the corner of the window and dragging it)?
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

ChickenLips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 03:35:27 am »

Moving the mouse roller up/down?
Do not meddle in the affairs of chickens, for you are crunchy and taste like a good seedgrain.

(You are not a seedgrain?  Of course, you and I know that very well.  But does the chicken know it?)

Campabl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 03:43:49 am »

okay so in init files where it says fullscreen window make sure it X and Y are set to 0 and the blackspace to NO, at first the title screen, world gen, and so on will still be messed up but once you get to the actually game it will look normal. So the title screen and the other screens will be placed top left corner at first, thats normal, but once you can actually see your dwarves working and stuff it will be full screen, try it and see if it works

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 05:36:01 am »

Did you press tab?
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Demetrious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 10:55:44 am »

Have you tried resizing the window via your OS (in Windows, clicking on the corner of the window and dragging it)?

It don't do jack.

okay so in init files where it says fullscreen window make sure it X and Y are set to 0 and the blackspace to NO, at first the title screen, world gen, and so on will still be messed up but once you get to the actually game it will look normal. So the title screen and the other screens will be placed top left corner at first, thats normal, but once you can actually see your dwarves working and stuff it will be full screen, try it and see if it works

When I pop into the object testing arena it does fill the whole screen, but then the aspect ratio is wrong- looong stretched tiles are looong. After two years of playing 40c/d with pretty, properly-sized tiles, I just can't do it, brah! It buuuurns us!

The mouse roller doesn't do anything. I beg you, Double A, please check my join date. I'm aware of the side-bar menus that you cycle with tab, that's not what I'm talking about.

I see everybody is as mystified by this bullshit as I am, so here's my brief system specs- at this point I smell graphic-card specific derp:

1. Dell 1705 laptop with an ATI Mobility Raedon 1400 card
2. Windows XP Service Pack 2.

If any technically-inclined folks can spot a reason why Windows XP with an older Raedon card would rage, rage against the SDL, then let me know.
I like the fact we are seriously discussing how to drop dwarfs off towers using  kittens as cushions.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 11:40:32 am »

Use the legacy version?

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 11:43:39 am »

Did you actually go all the way into a game (either fortress or adventure)?  The menus are all restricted to a smaller size, so they show up in the upper left corner in higher resolutions, but once you are actually into a game the whole screen is used...  By your descriptions it sounds to me like you are opening the game, seeing teh menus squished up in the corner and calling it broken...  Load up a fort or if you dont have one yet embark on one, and then tell us how your fullscreen experiences are?
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Urist McPenguin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010, 12:15:13 pm »

Are you using a tileset? Double check the fullscreen graphics section in init, making sure you changed the correct settings.

Demetrious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2010, 12:44:44 pm »

Did you actually go all the way into a game (either fortress or adventure)?  The menus are all restricted to a smaller size, so they show up in the upper left corner in higher resolutions, but once you are actually into a game the whole screen is used...  By your descriptions it sounds to me like you are opening the game, seeing teh menus squished up in the corner and calling it broken...  Load up a fort or if you dont have one yet embark on one, and then tell us how your fullscreen experiences are?

The testing arena fills the whole screen, but the aspect ratio is all wonky; long stretched tiles. Just to humor you I genned a world and loaded a fort and yes, the tiles are still stretched, which drives me insane.

Are you using a tileset? Double check the fullscreen graphics section in init, making sure you changed the correct settings.

No, I'm not using any tilesets; ASCII all the way for me. I just call them "tiles" because technically they are; the default graphics are just a default ASCII style tileset.

I'll probably just bite the bullet and use the legacy version, but eventually when I hit 20 FPS I'm going to get frustrated and want higher framerates, so I may as well work this out now.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2010, 01:58:52 pm »

The tiles in the default, non-graphics version are always a little stretched....  I'm assuming you mean that they're really stretched.

I wonder if maybe you messed with some stretch setting, before you realized that it's only the menu that doesn't resize?  Maybe you should restore your init to the default, launch the game, and see what happens, if you haven't already.

Maybe you should also try not running full-screen, but just windowed, and resizing the window to be big enough for your tastes.  I suppose there's the potential for fullscreen on an unusual aspect ratio to behave wonky.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2010, 01:59:54 pm »

I find your angry approach disrespectful :D Good luck, sir. Those resources are all maintained by people like you and I.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

aepurniet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2010, 11:13:36 pm »

Black_space:YES

This shold preserve the aspect ratio the tiles have.  If you think they are still wonky after that get a different tile set, perhaps a sqare one like 16x16. I find it easier to play with a maximized window rather than full screen.

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
  • Builds everything out of cobaltite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2010, 11:53:32 pm »

How about a screenshot so we can see the problem?

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2010, 12:19:59 am »

Because the game uses specific tiles, you absolutely have to pay close attention to the init file. Just setting your resolution results in nothing good.

What resolution do you run? Is your screen widescreen?

I have a roughly 16:10 screen, and I run it with a 1680x1050 resolution. To get the game looking right, I had to do the following:

Notice I'm using a tileset and a graphic set; you can remove both, the settings work quite fine for me

Code: [Select]
[WINDOWEDX:1440]
[WINDOWEDY:810]
[FONT:ironhand.png]

[RESIZABLE:YES]

[FULLSCREENX:0]
[FULLSCREENY:0]
[FULLFONT:ironhand.png]

[BLACK_SPACE:YES]

[GRAPHICS:YES]
[GRAPHICS_WINDOWEDX:0]
[GRAPHICS_WINDOWEDY:0]
[GRAPHICS_FONT:ironhand.png]
[GRAPHICS_FULLSCREENX:0]
[GRAPHICS_FULLSCREENY:0]
[GRAPHICS_FULLFONT:ironhand.png]
[GRAPHICS_BLACK_SPACE:YES]

Lastly, consider uploading your init.txt and d_init.txt somewhere so we can have a look at it.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.
Pages: [1] 2