Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarven Stasis  (Read 2647 times)

Illeist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarven Stasis
« on: July 10, 2010, 11:08:34 pm »

Until we get all these medical system bugs sorted out, it looks like hospitals are, in many cases, almost useless. Consequently, I've decided to adopt an alternate approach.

I've removed all the beds in my hospital, rigged a nearby cave-in trap, and placed cage traps underneath all my dwarves that are refusing to rest. This will trap them in the cages, making them temporarily immortal. When the hospital glitches are fixed, I'll set the dwarves free and let them be healed. Thoughts?
Toxic Blood: For all your FPS worries

Shogger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Stasis
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 11:10:01 pm »

That's pretty clever. You're probably going to have them for a looooong time though.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 11:11:05 pm »

They still need to be fed/given water, I think.

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 11:14:30 pm »

Often, caged dwarves will go melancholy, because they don't get all the happy thoughts they would have if they were out and about. But they do get a +1000 happiness boost when you free them. Even if they were unjustly imprisoned.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 11:23:00 pm »

Creatures in cages aren't actually in stasis, they just can't be harmed by anything outside the cage.  They can still bleed to death, die of infection, starve, die of thirst, or go insane.

If the stuck in midair bug is still present, it should be possible to rig up a suspended animation chamber.  I built a few in my last great 40d fortress to treat a few nobles with incurable mandateitis.  Built a retracting bridge, linked to a remote lever, on a solid floor surrounded by walls.  Drop or lure the dwarf in question on the bridge.  Have another dwarf pull the lever repeatedly.  Load and save the game until the stuck in midair bug occurs.  The dwarf will remain airborne and as far as I can tell in permanent suspended animation.  When you want to unstick him, you need to use Dwarf Companion or a similar utility and uncheck his "projectile" flag.  Note - I have never tried un-suspending a dwarf who's been stuck like this for years, they might explode or die or go insane or something like that, but at least they die for Science!
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 11:26:44 pm »

Pity, stasis pods sounded so cool!

you could set up a panic room to seal off important dwarves in suspended animation until a reclamation force or a wave of immigrants arrived, deconstructing the walls leading to the lever that released the founders from cryosleep.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Illeist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010, 11:31:33 pm »

Creatures in cages aren't actually in stasis, they just can't be harmed by anything outside the cage.  They can still bleed to death, die of infection, starve, die of thirst, or go insane.

Aaaaw, there go my dreams of dwarven space expedition... (After all, where there's no oxygen, dwarves can't catch on fire! Yay!)

Your other plan does seem much more feasible, though. I'll set up a stasis shop and tell you who explodes and where the pieces land,

Toxic Blood: For all your FPS worries

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2010, 11:50:23 pm »

Cages apparently protect from icy death. you could try that.

I think it'd just trap them and they'd die though.

*Mayor facepalms*

beekay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010, 02:05:20 am »

Well cages certainly don't protect Elven animals who go through freezing areas, so I doubt it.

Mush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2010, 05:09:10 am »

They're not that useless...

All the patients in my hospital are always treated and on their way. One guy survived having both his arms torn off, and another dwarf survived from a ton of broken bones obtained by falling 3+ floors (including broken brains and skull).

Plus it's entertaining as hell watching people get treated and seeing what's wrong with them. :)

Anyway, I don't really see the purpose of statis for patients since immigrants are so numerous dwarves tend to be easily replaced. (At least in my fort they are...)

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2010, 11:23:59 am »

The one thing it does do stasis-wise, is that dwarves in cages do not die of old age (Toady said so in the last talk). But once you release them, they will.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2010, 03:41:43 pm »

Well cages certainly don't protect Elven animals who go through freezing areas, so I doubt it.

I have had several animals encased in ice after sitting at the bottom of a raging river for months with no ill effect whatsoever.

that's what I was basing it off of. then again my area is only cold, not freezing.

*Mayor facepalms*

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2010, 05:02:21 pm »

So far I've had no problems with the medical system (though there were some odd bits like a splint and cast being applied to a broken skull). All dwarves that go in come out in two months or less.
くコ:彡

gopa4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2010, 07:14:52 pm »

So far I've had no problems with the medical system (though there were some odd bits like a splint and cast being applied to a broken skull). All dwarves that go in come out in two months or less.
This is the experience that I have with the hospital. Unless the dwarf loses both legs or something they generally get out in a couple of months and get back to work. I have 20 or so dwarfs running around covered in splints, bandages, and some (very expensive) stitches.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2010, 07:22:16 pm »

I too have not noticed any horrible problems.

I simply want a working stasis chamber.

got an important, but mandateitis ridden noble? put them on ice until you can meet their demand, get tired of them, or forget where you put them!

*Mayor facepalms*

Pages: [1] 2