Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do dams affect new forts built downriver?  (Read 879 times)

elfhater

• Bay Watcher
  • Sine vino non laboro.
    • View Profile
Do dams affect new forts built downriver?
« on: July 10, 2010, 09:41:14 pm »

I've never thought to try damming a river to see if a new embark point downriver would be dry.

Anyone else ever done it?

Yocas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.eraforums.illiniwebdesign.com
Re: Do dams affect new forts built downriver?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 10:10:34 pm »

That's actually a good question.

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 10:17:52 pm »

Nope.
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 10:18:40 pm »

Hmm... I remember someone reporting that he built a bridge between an island an the mainland, and after that new forts built on the island had access to civs, so terraforming in one fort affecting a seperate one wouldn't be out of the question.

Nope.

Just to make sure, have you actually tried this or heard of someone else who tried this, are are you just assuming?
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 10:40:53 pm »

In 40d this did not work. I'm not sure about 2010 though.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

elfhater

• Bay Watcher
  • Sine vino non laboro.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 02:33:44 am »

Well then it probably still doesn't.

The pieces necessary to do that sort of thing probably already exist in the form of the world-builder, but it'd have to partially regenerate the world after every abandon. I wasn't sure if it did that or not. Apparently it works for legends, but not for geography.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 02:59:51 am »

Giving up that easily?

I was all set to try this.  That or try reproducing the island bridge.

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 08:09:38 am »

I know it doesnt. Still doesnt. Never did. Probably never will either. Water is spawned from the edge, it doesnt magically flows through the WHOLE GODDAMN WORLD.
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

elfhater

• Bay Watcher
  • Sine vino non laboro.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010, 06:35:39 pm »

It doesn't have to flow through the world for a dam in a previous fort to drain the water. It just needs to be told not to generate that tile in the first place when you embark, because the world updated and said "no, after all, there's no water here".

rodya_mirov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2010, 06:47:33 pm »

How do you even dam the river?  If it's an infinite source of water, won't it just overrun whatever you've built to stop it?

elfhater

• Bay Watcher
  • Sine vino non laboro.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2010, 06:53:21 pm »

Well, at any rate, you could change the river's direction, or have it go underground, or whatever. The point is there are ways a fort could have a derivative impact on nearby geographic features off-map.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2010, 06:57:31 pm »

Hmm... I remember someone reporting that he built a bridge between an island an the mainland, and after that new forts built on the island had access to civs, so terraforming in one fort affecting a seperate one wouldn't be out of the question.

Funnily enough the bridge was not required to allow access to the island. You can connect an inaccessible part of the map to the rest simply by embarking with a fort that overlaps both. I used this to allow civs access to sites on the other side of mountains before.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2010, 06:58:19 pm »

How do you even dam the river?  If it's an infinite source of water, won't it just overrun whatever you've built to stop it?

It doesn't go up z-levels unless those are below the original starting level or pumped. Damming usually involves freezing rivers, or artificial cave-ins.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2010, 09:11:58 pm »

It doesn't go up z-levels unless those are below the original starting level or pumped. Damming usually involves freezing rivers, or artificial cave-ins.

Or pumping, or magma.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.