Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Are the military equipment bugs fixed in 31.09?  (Read 1844 times)

Teiwaz

• Bay Watcher
  • [BABYSNATCHER]
    • View Profile
Re: Are the military equipment bugs fixed in 31.09?
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2010, 05:29:55 pm »

Unplayable? A bit of hyperbole, don't you think? Don't equip training weapons, there is absolutely no need whatsoever*. Define some new armor profiles before assigning any military and leave it as that, there is really no need to have to swap equipment all the time.

*Why on earth were they included if training now can't lead to killing sparring partners?

No, I meant unplayable. I had to disable invasions because the military was working so badly - crossbowdwarves not firing, dwarves collecting 3 axes and then using a training axe in combat, which would get them slaughtered. The game was, unsurprisingly, very boring as a result.

It is not only possible, but extremely likely that dwarves will kill each other when sparring. Fortunately, group training (the only time they'll spar) is also horribly broken, as the squad leader will go to training and wait for people to train despite their having to intention of ever showing up for it. But on those occasions that they do show up to train, they will happily hack each others' limbs off with great enthusiasm, as my military commander found out. That's why I tried equipping my recruit/training squad with training axes, which they then proceeded to never, ever put down, even when a forgotten beast showed up.

And apparently striking adamantium is "no need whatsoever" to upgrade the copper axes your dwarves were using...?

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2010, 06:19:08 pm »

No, I meant unplayable. I had to disable invasions because the military was working so badly - crossbowdwarves not firing, dwarves collecting 3 axes and then using a training axe in combat, which would get them slaughtered. The game was, unsurprisingly, very boring as a result.
No training weaps + individual combat drills = nice military, capable of killing off all sieges here.
If something does not work the way you want it to, it does not mean it does not work at all.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2010, 07:13:34 pm »

It only takes a single counterexample to a strong argument like "unplayable."  Maybe, "I didn't find it enjoyable" would be more accurate.

It's hard for me to tell how much better the military equipment system is, because I got used to playing around the 30.08 bugs-- not in the habit, anymore, of messing with equipment or squads, and if I have to, doing so very carefully.  But I haven't had a single double equip in .10.  (As mentioned, the occasional two right gauntlets assigned, but even then, the dwarfs don't equip the extra gauntlet, and drop their equipment promptly and as ordered.)
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.
Pages: 1 [2]