Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.09 Released  (Read 51342 times)

FuzzyDoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.09 Released
« Reply #105 on: July 11, 2010, 04:09:58 am »

I have done some research on the net.
Average punch velocity = ~ 7.3 m/s.
Average Crossbow bolt velocity(modern crossbow) = ~ 34.1 m/s.

assuming these values are close to reality, crossbow bolt velocity should be around 4.6 times faster than punch.

It rounds up to 4.7. lol
Also, if we use the median of Toady's guesstimate of 70-100 for punches (85), then Bolts should be...399.5. I guess that could be rounded up or down (preferably up).
Also bear in mind that dwarves have their heads at a perfect height for a good face-kicking.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 11, 2010, 04:12:39 am »

For fists and legs i found something on this German karate-webside. I translate it for ya in the spoiler. Apereantly its a copy from a article in "Spektrum der wissenschaft" the german variant of "scientific American".

One of theyr tables has different forms of blows with the different speeds.

Blowtype   Maxspeed  in Meters per Second
Straight blow with the fist

5,7 -  9,8
Hammer   blow   10,0 - 14,0
Hand   chipping

10,0 - 14,0
blows and kicks

9,5 - 11,0
Kick with body Rotation

7,3 - 10,0
Straight Kick

9,9 - 14,4
kick from the side

9,9 - 14,4

Please excuse if the names are nowhere near a good translation but my translate-foo isnt the best

I am still searching for the arrow/bolt-speed of a crossbow.

A little bit research on the source:

The above mentioned article is based on research of the ‘Department of Physics and Spectroscopy Laboratory’ at the MIT. There was also a book published on that research that goes in great detail (incl. Differential   equations of the fourth Order etc.). The book is available on Google books. Karate-blows are under Chapter 7 and start at page 215 or something.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 04:34:14 am by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Thoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 11, 2010, 04:28:45 am »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Projectile#Typical_projectile_speeds

Most are a bit high tech for DF, but a 175lb pull crossbows rated at 97 m/s

hand velocity 9.14 (Standard Deviation 2.06) m/s
http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/39/10/710.abstract
Thats for olympic boxers, is info on newton and punch force, and my personal favourite neck shear.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 04:40:50 am by Thoth »
"Do not offend the chair leg of Truth. It is wise and terrible" - (Urist) Spider Jerusalem

Shangurath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 11, 2010, 04:31:16 am »

Wow a new DF!

But still cannot wait the fu**ing military to be fixed...

Rkui

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 11, 2010, 05:06:34 am »

pets and merchants don't seem to be getting along...

Yep got a major fight between elves and my pets, or it was their pets (donkeys it seam) with my dogs (normal and war dogs). Since i was around forgoten beast in the cavern i wasn't paying attention, now my fort is all dirty with all this elven blood, stupid elves. At least they payed well the dogs death with all those goods everywhere.

I was testing the new forgoten beast patch, in .08 i got 2 full squad of 2/3time legendary axemen fight a gigantic (or whatever it was) humanoid made of crystal rock, and i never killed it, i think i let them fight at least 2 seasons. I tryed the same stuff with .09 and the forgoten beast got his head cut in a matter of second, maybe a lucky roll, don't know.

I got some pathing problem in my cavern, mainly wall that don't want to be deconstruct and tower cap that can't be cut because of path problem. All those should be easy to find. Had to dig in the rock next to the wall to open an exit, can also construct wall in the same area without problem.

Haven't tested the crossbowers and i have a hunter suqad ready...

alpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 11, 2010, 05:15:27 am »

Looks like the stat degradation issue is not fixed yet. Oh well, waiting until next release.

darkevilme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 11, 2010, 05:37:15 am »

Update report:

I'm not sure if anyone else has seen it, but with the new combat system the world i genned could best be described as a hell of epic. Population was halved and near every  megabeast was still rampaging around. I'm not sure if this is a bug or a feature.

What is a bug, and still a bug in fact as it was there last version, is the refusal of my naga minions to pick up ammunition assigned to them. This means i cannot use ranged weapons at all, therefore cannot build the castles i want to build, therefore cannot play DF enjoyably.

RabidRabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 11, 2010, 10:38:02 am »

Quote from: RabidRabbit
Changing SHOOT_MAXVEL from the crossbow entry from '1000' to '30' results in slightly more reasonable behavior.

30 is slower than a punch in the game, and 1000 is much faster (I think they are usually around 70 to 100?  I'd have to go check again), and I don't think it is getting reduced much below 1000 by the bolt weight, if at all, though the force parameter should do something there.  I'm not sure what an average punch speed is compared to a bolt speed in real life, but if we had sensible values there we could locate the other problems in the system more efficiently, since the velocity is one of the things that is easier to treat as an absolute starting point.

Well, I just needed a quick fix for goblin sieges with 2+ archer squads to not be absurdly deadly.

A more realistic projectile velocity would be a good starting point, but projectile vs armor performance depends heavily on the projectile's angle of approach.  Only shots that are very near perfectly normal to the surface of the plate armor can pierce it... maybe make the projectile hit chance proportional to size^2 instead of just size to represent shots that hit at odd angles and just skim off?

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 11, 2010, 01:07:09 pm »

I can't seem to figure out how to butcher corpses. I pick up the corpse, hit x, select butcher, hit enter, and nothing happens

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 11, 2010, 01:14:16 pm »

Do you have something sharp? Like a dagger?
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 11, 2010, 01:29:10 pm »

I have a sword...

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #116 on: July 11, 2010, 02:01:53 pm »

As I said previously in the thread, things have gotta be on the ground [or in your hands apparently] to be crafted with.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 11, 2010, 02:08:00 pm »

wrong thread.

jfs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 11, 2010, 03:33:30 pm »

The "Older versions" page lists 0.31.09 as .08, though the download links are correct.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #119 on: July 11, 2010, 04:07:14 pm »

You're not going to get a spearhead that's wider than a person's waist, you can trust me on that one.
Well, I didn't test it on sapient creatures, just occured while I was gathering bodies for butcher testing:
You stab The Groundhog in the right front leg with your copper spear and the severed part sails off in an arc!

My adventurer's axe severed a rabbit's tooth on one swing. That's precision!
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9