Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: military rotation has extremely negative consequences.  (Read 10451 times)

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
military rotation has extremely negative consequences.
« on: July 10, 2010, 01:58:45 am »

Not only do you have the bad thoughts, but you get endless job change spam that fills your whole announcement log.

The worst though is that among some of my dead axedwarves in the cemetery, the legendary axe lord hero of my military who died glorioiusly in battle is buried as a 'Gem Setter', because he bled to death after his squad changed shifts. This basically erases the memory of his great deeds, at least from inside of fortress mode.

I can't really report it as a bug, but it kindof is. As long as they're in a squad, they should retain their military titles please! Once the bugs are fixed and they can actually do civilian jobs while off duty, it wouldn't hurt at all for them to keep such titles for life.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 02:01:05 am by cephalo »
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
Re: military rotation has extremely negative consequences.
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 02:03:18 am »

Seconded.

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
  • His lower body is melted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 03:57:34 am »

Yeah, rotation unhappiness needs to be eliminated or nerfed. 

Come to think of it, why is it even in there?  If a dwarf is in a squad with a set schedule, there should be no reason for them to get unhappy thoughts.  Maybe being inducted into or kicked out of the squad would be an appropriate time, but come on, every time they go on duty?

Man, the thought of upgrading from 40d and dealing with the 2010 military again is giving me a happiness score of less than 10.

Diso Faintpuzzles was born in 120.  Although accounts vary it is universally agreed that Diso was chosen by fate as the vanguard of destiny.

In the early spring of 143 Diso began wandering the wilds.

In the early spring of 143 Diso starved to death in the Horn of Striking.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 05:27:10 pm »

Custom titles.

I changed the profession of all my guards to "Guard" so they're readily apparent even off duty.  I imagine that if you use different synonyms like Warrior, Fighter, Guardian, etc, you could not only have your military easily identifiable outside when off duty but also differentiate between their equipment setups.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 05:28:32 pm »

Yeah, rotation unhappiness needs to be eliminated or nerfed. 

Come to think of it, why is it even in there?

Seems to me like it's just a holdover from when we didn't have schedules, and hasn't been removed yet.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 08:10:53 pm »

Custom titles.

I changed the profession of all my guards to "Guard" so they're readily apparent even off duty.  I imagine that if you use different synonyms like Warrior, Fighter, Guardian, etc, you could not only have your military easily identifiable outside when off duty but also differentiate between their equipment setups.

That's a good idea. Necessary really at this point. My poor Gem Setter...

My latest forts:

Terisuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010, 09:05:55 pm »

Dunno about you, but I only seem to get strong negative thoughts for peasants that go off duty.  If they're trained up in any other skills, enough that they have a title, they don't mind so much going back to their civvies.  This is why I never draft peasants into my military before training them up in something else first. 

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2010, 10:14:08 pm »

Hmm... Maybe either  moving this to the Suggestions forum and rewriting the title, or posting this on the bug tracker would be a good idea.

Either way, might want to check and make sure it's not already there.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2010, 10:20:05 pm »

Haven't noticed any negative thoughts.

But then none of my dwarves are unskilled. All of my soldiers start out as farmers, and they still do farming duties when they're not stabbing things. This gives them both military and civilian skills, and so there's no negative thoughts about going on or off duty.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2010, 10:23:14 pm »

Same here. All my military start as woodcutters, then train by themselves until they have appreciable axedwarf skill.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2010, 10:34:48 pm »

Dunno about you, but I only seem to get strong negative thoughts for peasants that go off duty.  If they're trained up in any other skills, enough that they have a title, they don't mind so much going back to their civvies.  This is why I never draft peasants into my military before training them up in something else first.

That makes the problem a little better, but it's like everytime their schedule changes, nobody informs them that the leave is temporary, and that every month, they are suddenly fired from their jobs. Or, "Mannn, I'm so dissapointed with being drafted, just like I have been every month for the last three years..." Fictionally, it's nonsense. Functionally, it's a bit dangerous because your that much closer to a spiral. Goblins can't do anything to a fort like a couple of tatrumming axe lords.

Another bad thought that I think is a bit extreme is the hatred for patrols. I'm asking four guys out of ten to be stationed at the front gate, so that most of them are doing whatever they want at any given time, and the first year they grumble about it, and eventually they are 'enraged' by it. Somebody needs to watch the front gate or we all die guys! What's it gonna be? If we're going to need 9 dwarves off for every dwarf on duty, were gonna need way bigger squads than 10 soldiers if we are going to fight off ambushes and seiges. Several times a year, everyone has to be on duty because there's 20 goblins pouring into the front entrance, is it really too much to be ready for them? Do we wait until they are in the fort before we sound the alarm so you geniouses can fumble around in the equipment stockpile while everyone in the dining hall is slain?

Yes we have a security problem. Deal with it!

My latest forts:

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2010, 10:57:43 pm »

I changed the profession of all my guards to "Guard" so they're readily apparent even off duty.
I do the same, but they still change their outlook and colors, and place in the unit list. I can see who is who, but it is still annoying. Because when an enemy appears, I can't quickly tell if any armed dwarves are nearby without using the look command. Would suggest them keeping military titles at least if they are set to keep their equipment while off-duty.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2010, 11:34:19 pm »

Haven't noticed any negative thoughts.

But then none of my dwarves are unskilled. All of my soldiers start out as farmers, and they still do farming duties when they're not stabbing things. This gives them both military and civilian skills, and so there's no negative thoughts about going on or off duty.

If you set them to 'train' or 'no specific orders', alternating with a station or patrol, it will get out of hand. It works better if you leave them on duty full time with a low minimum soldier count. Of course, when the goblins come you'll need them all on duty, and of course they will be mad about that.

My latest forts:

shibdib

• Bay Watcher
  • How much for Goat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2010, 02:29:25 am »

My marskdwarf squad i have 5 on 5 off, the 5 off r hunters so they still always have their bows at the ready.

Axe u can do 5/5 with woodcutter

the others.. u gotta hope they keep some of their gear at the ready

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2010, 12:52:59 pm »

That's a good idea. Necessary really at this point. My poor Gem Setter...
You can still give them their proper title even after death. After they were in their tomb I renamed my legendary Spear Lord 'Archilles' because he took an arrow to the foot and bled out from it despite his full steel gear. So y,p away!
That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.
Pages: [1] 2