Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we bring back the old? Or bring in the new?

Use the old save and 40d
Start a new EH with 2010
Start a new EH with 40d

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 21

Author Topic: The New Eternal Halls Thread: Who's turn is it? Answer me, maggot!  (Read 38130 times)

Suilenroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The New Eternal Halls Thread: Turn three - Dariush.
« Reply #75 on: July 28, 2010, 02:00:44 pm »

Before I jump into the fort I thought I'd look into the world using Legends and the WorldViewer utility.

Mudungramul - "The Portentious Planes"
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Civilizations: 7 living, 3 dead
  Living: 2 Dwarfish, 1 Goblin, 1 Elvish, 3 Human.
  Dead: 1 Goblin, 2 Elvish

We may be living in a golden age of Dwarfish civilization.  Goblins and Elves are declining powers in the world, and war has not been waged in over a thousand years.  However, the surface world is not entirely safe.  Fearsome beasts have attacked settlements in every Dwarven lifetime, and the two most powerful civilizations are led by demons masquerading as human deities.  Dwarves cannot begin to speculate on the intentions of such beings, but for all recorded history they have not concerned themselves with us.

The Awe-Inspiring Wires (our civilization):
  We are the most powerful Dwarfish civilization in Mudungramul, with four Mountainhomes (Modestceiling, Bodicepack, Craftswound, and Spireguilds).  We are under the rule of Queen Melbil Helmdangles, eighth in line of the Caveglad dynasty which has ruled over The Awe-Inspiring Wires for nearly 350 years.

Deities of The Awe-Inspiring Wires:
  Tobul - Jewels, minerals.  Takes the form of a Male Dwarf.
  Istrath Giltsilvers the Gem of Trades - Weath, trade.  Male Dwarf.
  Gigin - Fortresses, was, mountains.  Male Dwarf.
  Onol Minedsilvers the Coal of Oils - Metals.  Female Dwarf
  Atrid the Young Blossom - Birth.  Female Dwarf
  Enshal the Strapping Bud - Children.  Male Dwarf
  Kivish Razorveil - Dreams, nightmares, the night, the stars, the sky.  Male Firefly God.
  Zatam Burnsavage the Godly Cave - War, strength, metals.  This is a living Bronze Colossus, known to have killed many Humans, Elves, and Dwarves.
  Osplu Spittlesucked the Robust Controller-Barbarian - Strength, rebirth, muck.  This is a living Hydra, known to have killed many Humans and Dwarves.  Our queen is a faithful worshipper of this deity.

Slain rulers:
  Thikut Cloisterwatch, 163-259, birthing queen of the Cloisterwatch dynasty.  Slain in Modestceiling by the bronze colossus Mirding Bravegrowls.
  Kadol Tongspuzzled, 260-420, King in the Cloisterwatch dynasty and grandson of Thikut Cloisterwatch.  Devoured by the hydra Ulthush Couragecall.

Suilenroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 28, 2010, 03:24:40 pm »

(Updating as things progress)
Claiming this dwarf:

3rd Granite, 1054: I've seen the depths of this place, and it contains plentiful resources for the production of bronze and steel.  Yet we lose good Dwarves every month and are forced to rely on cheap, high-maintenance tricks rather than our own strength.  All the while, beasts from the depths are making their home in our halls.  The nobles are concerned with eccentricities such as magma, precious adamantium, and luxury crops; yet the crops wither, and adamantium is useless without a skilled metalcrafter to work it.  Today marks the founding of The Mountainous Aces, our first professional military unit, which I will lead.

My first action is to suspend the excavation of adamantite and garnierite veins in order to refocus on steel production.  It appears that one our now deceased artists has put engravings over valuable iron ore veins.  I'm glad he won't object.

In addition to this, I have begun converting the rooftop into a barracks where our military may hone their skills under the sky.

14th Granite: A bowyer by the name of Ast Diegalleys has created a somewhat plain crossbow out of black-cap, carved an elf on the side, and named it after himself.  He claims he has created an artifact.  I don't believe a word of it, but promptly conscripted him as our first marksdwarf.

20th Granite: We have recovered the bodies of fallen comrades, and placed them in rough stone coffins in our cramped mausoleum until more proper burial arrangements may be made.  Some of the bodies were horribly dismembered, gods only know how long they've been sitting around.

17th Slate: Our woodcutter, Ushat Domasbomrek has been hospitalized after receiving a beating from our newly appointed Captain of the Guard.  Apparently he was wanted for assaulting a miner and punching a dog.  The jail cells were filled with other criminals, and our captain decided to deal punishment in the most direct, and effective, way.  Unfortunately it didn't stop there and the beating continued INSIDE THE HOSPITAL.  I question his methods, however perhaps we do need to send a message to such criminals.

25th Slate: Migrant wave
  Siege Engineer.  Looks to be a powerful woman, she should do well in the military.
  Fishery Worker.  He will be put to work in the smelting line.
  Weapon Smith, High Master.  The mountainhomes are sending us just what we need.
  Novice Clothier.  She may be able to handle a crossbow, eh?  How hard could it be, point an' shoot.  Like threading a needle through your enemies.
  Siege Eng/Op, Adequate.  His training will be useful when we're ready to setup a siege battery.  Until then, mining.
  Stonecrafter.  Military.
  Diagnostician.  He will become our new CMD.
  Fish Dissector. Barracks is that way.
  Bowyer, Adequate.  You're inadequate if you can craft 'em but not shoot one.  Work on that.
  Tanner.  Work the fields, we don't have many animals to butcher yet.
  Pump Operator.  You now operate the furnaces.
  Miner, talented.  You bring your pick?  Good.
  Peasant.  Work the fields!
  Milker, Strong.  Pick through those goblin corpses for a weapon.
  Animal Dissector.  I don't know 'ow ye bulked up like that cutting up squirrels, but yer in the military.
  Peasant.  Hauler!
  Engraver.  We already have too many of ye folk, what else can you do?  Here's a crossbow.
  SiegeFurnace Operator.
  Hunter.  Expert marksdwarf ye say?  You're the new squad leader.
  Armorer, High Master.  Ye just made me day.
  Animal Trainer, armor user.  Ye can head to the barracks.
  Woodcrafter.  Work the fields.
  Doctor, high master wound dresser/bone setter.  Aye we could use that.
  Cook.  Cook.

Phew, that was exhausting.

26th Felsite: Smelting operations have commenced.  I don't feel that they are guarded enough below three levels of caverns, however we will soon have an equipped military force to handle any threats.
Our barracks is incomplete, but good enough for basic drills and sparring. (me in purple, leading a dodging demonstration)

10th Malachite: While our sworddwarves are not yet well equipped to handle it, I have devised a way to hopefully rid ourselves of the beast in the former mayor's control room, and also dispose of these caged goblins.  I have dug into the room from above and shall drop goblins in to fight it for us!

26th Malachite: We drop our first goblin...
It appears that this beast emits a foul odor to induce vomiting in opponents.  It may take a few more goblins.

10th Galena: I am writing this from a hospital bed.  It's nothing serious, a goblin would-be thief slipped away when we were going to drop him into the pit.  Bastard stabbed me in the hand, so we dismembered him.

14th Galena: Some buzzards have begun stealing foodstuffs.  The marksdwarves consider them enjoyable target practice.  We continue dropping goblins into the control room and none have survived yet.  This beast is proving useful.  If it remains resilient we may rebuild levers elsewhere.

19th Galena:

13th Limestone: The beast is slain!  What a shame, it was just beginning to grow on me.  I'll wait to see what the long-term effects are of this gas before I deal with the remaining goblin... if I even need to.

25th Limestone: A child made a ring worth 78000*
I suspect that he is gloating.  It is certainly more valuable than anything made of lignite.

9th Sandstone: We now have 8 sworddwarves and 5 marksdwarves in full steel plate.  I have resumed Nickel production for pump parts.

28th Sandstone: I've contracted for a grand mausoleum to be built!  We will all have a suitable burial waiting for us when our time comes.  It is three stories tall, with room for expansion.

19th Timber:

This is what we've been preparing for, boys!  Move out!

21st Timber: The beast has been slain with ease, but not before it stung Momuz Lightlanced, our high master blacksmith.  Hopefully she will make it through whatever condition this causes her.

24th Timber: We've reclaimed the control room, though it will take quite some time to clean the place up.  That bastard goblin ducked right under FIVE sworddwarves and nearly escaped, mashed the Baroness' hand with his hammer in passing, too.  Luckily a blacksmith was there to punch the goblin's skull in before he made it to the surface.  Cog Wrungcloistered, remember that name.  Were we not needing a blacksmith I would conscript him immediately for that kind of bravery!  Perhaps later then.

Momuz went dizzy and passed out before she could get to the hospital, and her wound is blistering.

Nothing of interest happened in the coming months.  We've finished digging out the Mausoleum, which is now being smoothed.  Oh, and Momuz survived the sting easily--she was just knocked out for a few days.  We now have a standing military, and four times the metal production of last year.  It's time for me to retire from leading and focus on training these inexperienced recruits!

Things to do:
  Continue building the pump stack (F3) to bring magma up to higher levels, and rebuild the magma workshops in a more secure location when you're able.
  Setup a schedule for our military in order to protect key areas.
  Relocate all the caskets to the mausoleum.
  Drop goblins on Baroness Dariush while she's sleeping.
  Keep ammo stocks up (bolts).  I've been using copper ore for that.
  Train up some masons.  We don't have any with decent skill.
  Streamline our food industry.  It's a bit of a mess right now.

Save: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2851
Yes this is 0.31.12 now.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 06:52:20 pm by Suilenroc »

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of aborted projects
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Monkey Gaming
« Reply #77 on: July 28, 2010, 11:52:51 pm »

A duck?
I think I would remember if I had amnesia.
I'd like to remind everyone that half of the time I don't even know what I'm talking about. The other half of the time I only sort of know what I'm talking about.

Suilenroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The New Eternal Halls Thread: Turn three - Suilenroc.
« Reply #79 on: July 29, 2010, 12:13:58 am »

It's still a duck.
I'd like to remind everyone that half of the time I don't even know what I'm talking about. The other half of the time I only sort of know what I'm talking about.

Suilenroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The New Eternal Halls Thread: Turn three - Suilenroc.
« Reply #80 on: July 29, 2010, 03:10:04 am »

Done, see previous post for save.

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The New Eternal Halls Thread: Turn four - Suilenroc.
« Reply #81 on: July 29, 2010, 03:13:23 am »

Damn, forgot to change the turn number...

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 29, 2010, 03:45:42 am »

Drop goblins on Baroness Dariush while she's sleeping.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Why me?! Think of all the good things I did to this fort!
What did you use for vein mining, by the way?

Oh, and it would be such an epic idea - to make only one entrance to each cavern and on every one restrain a couple of goblins...
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 04:00:55 am by Dariush »

Suilenroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 29, 2010, 04:23:07 am »

DF Hack
A few of those tools are easily considered cheating, but I don't use them.  The clean one that removes contaminants is sometimes essential for bug-control what with forgotten beast extracts spreading everywhere.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 29, 2010, 04:54:01 am »

DF Hack
A few of those tools are easily considered cheating, but I don't use them.  The clean one that removes contaminants is sometimes essential for bug-control what with forgotten beast extracts spreading everywhere.
...oh. I thought Toady finally inbuilt this usefulness in 31.12 :(

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 29, 2010, 04:58:45 am »

sigh... really sad that I'm living in china and cant see the pictures due to the china government firewall.
Would it be ok if I don't use any tilesets to present my stuff?
Tilesets make my head dizzy.

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 29, 2010, 06:08:01 am »

I don't use tilesets either. Well, I used to, but now I don't.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: The New Eternal Halls Thread: Turn five - Lokii.
« Reply #87 on: July 29, 2010, 02:18:55 pm »

a. Correction: If you want to make bronze, you'll need to mine cassiterite. Hope you have a granite layer.

b. I'll take a turn.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Suilenroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 29, 2010, 06:22:02 pm »

a. Correction: If you want to make bronze, you'll need to mine cassiterite. Hope you have a granite layer.
I always get the two confused.  Don't think I saw any cassiterite!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 29, 2010, 06:59:22 pm »

It only appears in granite layers.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 21