Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we bring back the old? Or bring in the new?

Use the old save and 40d
Start a new EH with 2010
Start a new EH with 40d

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21

Author Topic: The New Eternal Halls Thread: Who's turn is it? Answer me, maggot!  (Read 38095 times)

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The New Eternal Halls Thread
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2010, 02:01:15 am »

You should go ahead and use the 2010, since 31.09 should be out tomorrow(?), and that will mean most of the military and unkillable bugs gone.

If you're using 2010, you should be aware that there's one new military bug, and it's a hell of a whopper.

Your military and animals are automatically hostile to caravans. Uh oh.

Toady says it'll be fixed probably tonight, maybe tomorrow.  That is hardly worth considering in the 2010 or 40d discussion.  We can wait an extra day.

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of aborted projects
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Monkey Gaming
Re: The New Eternal Halls Thread
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2010, 04:16:43 am »

Well, it seems to be nearly unanimous, We're starting anew with 2010.
I'll get to preparing.
I think I would remember if I had amnesia.
I'd like to remind everyone that half of the time I don't even know what I'm talking about. The other half of the time I only sort of know what I'm talking about.

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The New Eternal Halls Thread: Turn one - Taco Dan's Taco Land
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2010, 08:50:03 am »

Come one! Come all! Come see the amazing fortress that will stand the test of time! Come witness The Eternal Halls!

Before we begin our epic tale of dwarfery and elf backstabbery, I'd like to remind you all that DF2010 still has problems, especially, it seems, with custom worldgen. Trying to make a world with plenty of lava resulted in this:
I was able to fix it, but during the worldgen it crashed, so unfortunately, no custom world.
Things took another turn for the worst, as searching the map top to bottom revealed no volcanoes whatsoever. I guess the game doesn't want us to have magma. At least we have flux stone.

I picked a spot with a river and a good bit of trees to cut down to piss off the elves.

Now for starter equipment:

I got rid of the anvil and the splints and crutches because we can trade for the former when we need to start metal production, and make the latter when we actually have a hospital. I also added more food and booze because I'm probably going to space out and forget we need to make those.

I immediately scout the surroundings and find that there's plenty of coal and ore laying around, along with gems of all sorts; jackpot.
I planned out the initial structure of the outpost and came up with this:

The well will get water from an underground tunnel connecting to the river outside. Quite ingenious if I do say so myself. All of the 3x3 squares will be workshops closed off with doors to prevent psychotic breakdowns after moods being lethal. The entrance hallway is extra long so that traps can be built in it at a later date. All just planning ahead.
I'm hard at work when...

What? This early? Yes, it seems I've been blessed with the gift of:
3 Craftsmen
1 Mason
1 Jeweler
1 Peasant
1 Cute little donkey foal.
Bringing our population total to 12+2 animals.
I put all of them to work doing things they have no experience with. "What's your profession?" "Gem cutting, sir." "We already got one, here's a pick, get to mining."
Disaster strikes as our most skilled miner drowns... in a well...

I suspect treachery is afoot! Ustuth couldn't have pushed himself into the well, someone must've killed him! We must be on the lookout for sabotage!
Who is this fellow? Why, it's Dan the Man!

He's the leader of this fine establishment, and rightfully so. He is the man after all.
Unfortunately, no-one can pull poor Ustuth out of the well, and his body is creating quite a stink. There's nothing I can do about it, and I wanted to give him a proper burial. Goodbye, Ustuth Cattenmat, I hardly knew ye.
Suddenly!

More? Really? We must be popular!
2 Craftsmen
1 Fisherman
1 Metalsmith
1 Jeweler
Total population: 17+2 fuzzy wuzzies.
I've also begun construction of a living area:

Next update in a bit when I eat.
I'd like to remind everyone that half of the time I don't even know what I'm talking about. The other half of the time I only sort of know what I'm talking about.

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2010, 10:45:03 am »

Traders showed up, traded crafts for food and an anvil. I made a farm, it's outdoors though so I built a wall around it.
Nothing interesting's been happening aside from that. Just trading and building.
The end of the year arrives and I don't notice, it's the end of Granite in the save, sorry.

SAVE TIME!

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2010, 03:16:58 pm »

Jesus, man. I'll probably need the rest of today to finish up with my other turn. That was impressive.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

RCIX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2010, 06:10:42 pm »

I guess i better go get 31.10; i'll hold off as long as possible to get Phoebus's graphics set. I hope it works with this save :)

Imma grab Phoebus's version now and see if it works with that save.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 06:13:56 pm by RCIX »
Quote from: Naz
Quote from: dwarfhoplite
I suggest you don't think too much what you build and where. When ever you need something, build it as close as possible to where you need it. that way your fortress will eventually become epic
Because god knows your duke will demand a kitten silo in his office.
Quote from: Necro910
Dwarf Fortress: Where you aren't hallucinating.

Suilenroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2010, 08:53:26 pm »

Add me to the turn list please.  I'm not an active poster, but I've been playing DF on and off for the past year.  I've always wanted to participate in a succession game. :)

evilgenius21

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2010, 09:21:30 pm »

I'd like to have a go at this! Sign me up!

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So.... I'll get started on this later today. Are we using .08 or .10? If it's 10, then I might have to wait for a graphics pack to come out.
And is a .zip possible? .rar's don't like my netbook. No clue why.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 03:42:59 am by breadbocks »

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes we're using .10
If you absolutely NEED to use a graphics pack, I can put your turn at the end of the list and you'll go 11th. Otherwise, I'll zip it and give you the link.

Lokii

• Bay Watcher
  • Jack of no trades
    • View Profile

So.... I'll get started on this later today. Are we using .08 or .10? If it's 10, then I might have to wait for a graphics pack to come out.
And is a .zip possible? .rar's don't like my netbook. No clue why.

Phobeus is already out with .10
Oh and Lokii, your job is now to seduce the human traders.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yup, I got my stuff installed. Just need the file.

RCIX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you absolutely NEED to use a graphics pack, I can put your turn at the end of the list and you'll go 11th. Otherwise, I'll zip it and give you the link.
Any reason why? Phoebus ought to be compatible with stock games...
Quote from: Naz
Quote from: dwarfhoplite
I suggest you don't think too much what you build and where. When ever you need something, build it as close as possible to where you need it. that way your fortress will eventually become epic
Because god knows your duke will demand a kitten silo in his office.
Quote from: Necro910
Dwarf Fortress: Where you aren't hallucinating.

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sorry for the wait, guys. Had a bit of an internet problem. Here's the zip.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

NP, dude. I totally understand. But, it's 11:30PM here, and I've gotten, maybe 3 hours of sleep over the past two days.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21