Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we bring back the old? Or bring in the new?

Use the old save and 40d
Start a new EH with 2010
Start a new EH with 40d

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 21

Author Topic: The New Eternal Halls Thread: Who's turn is it? Answer me, maggot!  (Read 38092 times)

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of aborted projects
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Monkey Gaming
Re: The New Eternal Halls Thread: Turn three - Dariush.
« Reply #60 on: July 27, 2010, 02:56:11 am »

I'll let you take your turn after Dariush, as long as you can finish it relatively quickly.
I think I would remember if I had amnesia.
I'd like to remind everyone that half of the time I don't even know what I'm talking about. The other half of the time I only sort of know what I'm talking about.

Suilenroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 27, 2010, 03:23:46 am »

I'll be able to finish a year up in one night, no problem.  Dariush can finish his turn.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 27, 2010, 03:48:23 am »

Summary of Hematite:
I wasn't able to finish the trap in time, so elves have gone berserk. Well, screw them, at least we got tame black bear!
I started building a hospital. One of our dwarves got taken by mood but he's currently locked in depot with elves, so he'll have to wait. I'm digging for the second layer of the caverns. All idle dwarves were sent to smooth out top of our mountain, that'll keep them busy. I'll probably build some megaproject up there.

Summary of Malachite:
Berserk elf killed out metalsmith, the rest of the caravan has gone stark raving mad. Strange mooder produced a 5640-bucks leather shield. We discovered second and third cavern. Adamantine can be seen.

Summary of Galena:
Our cage traps catch TONS of crundles. Once (if) we get a dungeon master, we won't lack pets ever since. Humans have arrived. My trap is about to be finished (only one support linkage remains), so I might as well test my trap on them. 5 snatchers followed by an ambush showed up and took the life of Kib Abodlir the farmer. Now half of them is following the fishery worker and other seems to head straight into lines and lines of entrance traps, but got interrupted by our engraver who went to recharge some cage traps, who fleed into the open instead of into the safety of the fort. Stupid dwarves. Our insanely idiotic herbalist went out to detail a wall which he could as well detail from inside. Counting him, that gives us 4 casualties.

Summary of Limestone:
Another ambush showed up and immediatly got caught in our cages. The trade with humans commenced - we bought some much-needed wood in return of some drinks.
Damn. They left before I noticed. Well, there's dwarves ahead! I don't want to risk them escaping, so I will knock them out on the way IN.

Summary of Sandstone:
Started digging out space for magma forges, building them and making space for future magma pumps. All iron will have to go on corkscrews for pumps, since it's the only both magma-safe and weapon-grade metal in our disposal.
A farmer got taken by mood. He collected two pieces of lignite, a log, cut green glass gems (I didn't even know we had them) and banded agate and made lignite ring. It costs mere 9600 bucks...

Summary of Timber:
Ahha! Dwarves have arrived! At last I'll be able to test this trap out!

Hooray!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 07:40:02 am by Dariush »

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 27, 2010, 10:21:24 am »

Whoa, how did you do that?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 27, 2010, 10:22:14 am »

...why do people always steal my quarters?  :(

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 27, 2010, 11:18:42 am »

Whoa, how did you do that?
1) build a 3x3 square:
^^^
^I^
^^^
where ^=cage trap, I=support
2) build a wall over support, unsupported by anything else
3) when the target walks by, collapse the support
4) ...
5) PROFIT!
...why do people always steal my quarters?  :(
Because you make them so ridiculously over-the-top that I simply don't have any choice >_>

Also, I will pour magma on whoever (you or Taco Dan) built levers in the most distant corner of the fortress and built entrance bridges the wrong side  >:(
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 11:22:22 am by Dariush »

Lokii

• Bay Watcher
  • Jack of no trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 27, 2010, 12:39:16 pm »

I'm getting pumped up for my turn.

Have we transferred the save to .12?
Oh and Lokii, your job is now to seduce the human traders.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 27, 2010, 12:40:13 pm »

Nope.

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 27, 2010, 02:59:23 pm »

It's actually Suilenroc's turn, but he's promised to finish it quickly.
I'd like to remind everyone that half of the time I don't even know what I'm talking about. The other half of the time I only sort of know what I'm talking about.

Suilenroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 28, 2010, 12:53:41 am »

Are there any objections to me bumping it up to 31.12 when my turn rolls around?

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 28, 2010, 01:04:44 am »

Not really.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 28, 2010, 05:19:19 am »

End of Timber summary:
Dwarves have got away after I caged one of their own :( Well, screw them. Lots of snatchers are showing up, ambush is imminent.
As I predicted, ambush showed up and killed a parentless baby who was crawling around on the outside. We also nearly lost our legendary engraver to his own stupidity.

Moonstone summary:
Another ambush... another set of full cages.

Opal summary:
This is getting ridiculous. The trapper who was chased by lasher since first ambush was finally struck down, so I ordered the horde of dumbasses our brave militia to bring him down.
First variant was right. I sent 10 people, out of which 4 came, one by one. Out of them one was killed (maximum skill is novice, no loss), two were mildly bruised and one...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It seems I encountered the 'eternal fight' bug. Armok wants the dwarves to win today!

One day later:
Wrong. Our legendary engraver was killed and apparently soon so will be amateur miner (competent) and proficient gem cutter/dyer. I'm fed up. If they want to die, so be it.
Finally, the lasher is caught. I'm building a restraint in the hallway to put a kitten on to attract next ambushers.
I'm starting a massive exploration mining for garnierite - we need nickel for pumps if we don't want to use iron not only for corkscrews, but also for pipes.
Great. The only thing we lacked was a flying FB. We are pretty much doomed, but... THERE'S ONLY ONE MORE MONTH BEFORE I CAN GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE!

Summary of Obsidian:
Hooray! The last month! The forgottten beast took our thresher, but I managed to lock it down in corridor leading to my quarters. My successor will have to do something about it. (My successor! NOT ME!!!!)
My joy was too fast. It CAN destroy doors. But I need to last a mere month!

FINALLY. Finally, the beast is sealed in my quarters. Our brave idiotic metalcrafter and engraver stormed past it, luring it into the depth of the rooms, allowing it to be sealed. They won't be forgotten.
No, wait.
They will be.
Now it's only escapeway is down the well, which I will seal from below.

1st Granite:
HOORAY! HOORAY! HOORAY! I'm finally out of this hellhole! Notes for the future master:
- on hotkey F8 there's an adamantine vein, but DO NOT mine it - first disable mining labors for everyone except the legendary miner!
- on hotkey F3 there's the magma pumpstack construction - you should be able to see the pattern. Use ONLY magma-safe blocks, iron corkscrews and nickel pipe sections for it's construction!
- on hotkey F2 there's the first cavern layer. A little to the southeast there's a stairway up. On the level right below the well some kind of block should be constructed not to let FB escape.
- on hotkey F4 there are two smelters and one forge; a few level higher there's one more smelter and forge.
- I built a hospital on topmost level, but it seems to function poorly. Someone should look into it.

Here's the save and the map. The map encompasses 82 levels, so I would be thankful if someone would mark POIs because my computer won't handle it :(
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 06:11:50 am by Dariush »

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 28, 2010, 05:55:20 am »

You realise nickel isn't magma-safe in the new version, right?
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 28, 2010, 06:12:22 am »

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 28, 2010, 06:41:04 am »

I stand humbled and corrected.

I was thinking about nickel silver.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 21