Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Fortress design verticle transport  (Read 2968 times)

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress design verticle transport
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2010, 11:32:55 pm »

the problem with up down stairs is that they have to take two steps per level

eg one down stair
    one across to next down stair
That's the problem with separate up stairs and down stairs. It is precisely the non-problem with up/down stairs.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

gawwy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2010, 01:56:40 am »

the problem with up down stairs is that they have to take two steps per level

eg one down stair
    one across to next down stair
That's the problem with separate up stairs and down stairs. It is precisely the non-problem with up/down stairs.

oh my god. i cant belive ive been seperatly designating entier stairwell one stair at a time when i can do it a floor at a time with these...

omg and i can double the lanes in a stair well and double the pathing efficency.
thats four times as many dwars per sec!!! this makes gawwy excited in the way much amounts
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 02:01:23 am by gawwy »

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2010, 02:23:26 am »

In my latest fortress, inspired by a recent pathfinding thread, I've just made my hallways entirely out of up-down staircases.

So far, working out great.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

gawwy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2010, 02:45:26 am »

In my latest fortress, inspired by a recent pathfinding thread, I've just made my hallways entirely out of up-down staircases.

huh so you could have 3 wide 3 high coridores for extream traffic..thats a great idea

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2010, 03:00:22 am »

If you can't make it so that invaders run a gauntlet of traps before being able to enter the fortress, then the best defence is a military strong enough to kick them out - worrying about internal staircases is, imo, a little off  :o
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2010, 03:52:53 am »

I've heard that dwarves can fall down staircases, and if you just have one huge pillar of staircases to the bottom of everything, then that would be fatal.  Never actually seen it in action though, anyone got confirmation?

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2010, 03:59:06 am »

as for defense. just defend the top really well and then have a mecanism to destroy all on stairs (magma fall)

That reminds me of an idea I had for a fort entrance involving a double helix of ramps down in to a 10-20z 11x11 pit with my trading post at the bottom and a reservoir and pumps with enough water to fill it to the brim... sux to be a trader if the gobbos get that far, but they'd be screwed anyway.

Except I've never tried it.

Also, travel between Z-levels would be pretty slow, because you'd have to travel around the pit to go up or down a significant distance.
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2010, 08:17:56 pm »

I generally use spiral ramps myself. My main issue with giant central staircases is that if an immortal FB gets on it, then all productivity stops. I'm planning to solve that in my next fort with hatch covers. Lots of them. And floodgates and bridges for quick sealing off of areas.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2010, 08:52:31 pm »

I've heard that dwarves can fall down staircases, and if you just have one huge pillar of staircases to the bottom of everything, then that would be fatal.  Never actually seen it in action though, anyone got confirmation?
It's nonsense. I've been playing DF for 2 years with a long column of up/down stairs in practically every fort. Fall count: ZERO.
I've never had a dwarf fall into a well, either.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

Terisuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2010, 09:01:30 pm »

For my next fort I'm considering ramps for pathing efficiency on the first several z's, and then a central stairway with small horizontal shifts between cavern levels for defensibility.  I haven't gotten to test this yet, but I'm fairly sure my current setup is really going to get bloody if an unkillable flying FB gets in, since it's not really that tightly constructed.  With isolation locks set up via cave-in of natural rock, and given the inability of buildingdestroyers to bash grates/covers from below, I'm fairly sure I can construct a system whereby beasts coming up my stairwell can be isolated within a set of z-levels, allowing my dorfs to route around them and/or establish a fatal cavein. 

X = Wall
I = Support
/ = updown stair
_ = Grates

X I / I X
X X / X X
X_X_/_X_X
X   /   X
XXXXXXX/X

Assuming the central portion is a square, the release of the supports should allow me to isolate the beastie if I remember to hatch over my stairwell properly.  In the best case scenario, it just hits him and my problems are all gone.  If it's trapped outside of the barrier for some reason, I trigger the one below that level to isolate it within a series of z-levels. 

elfhater

• Bay Watcher
  • Sine vino non laboro.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2010, 10:02:47 pm »

:o *facepalm*

WHY DID I NEVER THINK OF DOING THAT BEFORE NOW?! Is the only downside that it looks ugly?

You also can't smooth or engrave staircases, can you?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 10:06:06 pm by elfhater »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2010, 10:10:27 pm »

It's nonsense. I've been playing DF for 2 years with a long column of up/down stairs in practically every fort. Fall count: ZERO.

I have had dwarves dodge in combat on a stairway. Fall count: Every goddamn son-of-a-bitch time.

On another note: I have heard anecdotal evidence/hearsay that building destroyers can't smash things above them. Is this a thing that is true?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 10:14:33 pm by Urist Imiknorris »

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Pistolero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2010, 10:19:42 pm »

Even zlevels:

Code: [Select]
dh hd
d   d
dh hd
d   d

Odd zlevels:

Code: [Select]
  d
 hdh
  d
 hdh

d = dig
h = channel

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2010, 10:26:47 pm »

Constructed up/down stairs don't stop falling objects, but excavated stairs do.  Urist, are you talking about dodging on constructed stairs?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2010, 10:30:22 pm »

I think so.

Pages: 1 [2] 3