Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Areloram - The Underwater City  (Read 2590 times)

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
Areloram - The Underwater City
« on: July 09, 2010, 08:02:05 pm »

This is my go at an under the ocean city. I will not be using magma for casting the city. The entrance shall be a light house, complete with a light source of sorts. (Bonfires) These will have to be re-lit every so often as they don't last forever. The goal is to have a completely underwater base, with as little underground work as possible. I'm going to have to drain the ocean... yes... drain the ocean to be able to build the fortress... There's going to be A LOT of waiting with that one. Without further ado, here's various information and story...

---Information---

Civilization - The Armory of Sun
Fortress Name - Waterworld
Group Name - The Subtle City
The Embark Sign - Jaguar

The map...
6x6 map with a 100 zlevel cliff underwater. On the north strip of the map is a 6 embark tile wide area of land. It's perfectly flat with little ponds and a bunch of trees. There are elephants...

---The Starting Seven---

Unavailable "McBoss" - Sodel Biskalath (Veilbolt) - Aspid Dwarf - Female
Available - Ushrir Ulabmeng (Squirtlash) - Moss Dwarf - Female
Available - Dodok Kilrudstesok (Bronzemolten - Shroom Dwarf - Female
Available - Olon Estostrigoth (Containcraft) - Shroom Dwarf - Male
breadbocks "Sharpbolt" - Imush Udilsokan (Lanternphrase - Stone Dwarf - Male - The Cake is a Lie
KJGJ - Asmel Artobolin (Combinetongs) - Stone Dwarf - Male
Ninja Pichu "Ampersand" - Udib Sakrithbomrek (Blazedwhipped) - Stone Dwarf - Female - Doctor

Next available...

Daywalkah - NAME - Jade Dwarf - Male - Metalworker/?Mechanic?
Jetsquirrel "The Butcher" - NAME - SOMETHING DWARF - Female - Cook

---Prelude---
-Year 9 - Spring
The king, what a fool he is. He's casting me out for my ideas. I only wish for the betterment of the mountainhome and this is how they treat me. Throw me out with 6 other unwanteds. We were allowed to choose where we wished to embark though. So all was not lost. With the constant plague of demons and megabeasts alike, we've decided to go against normal tradition. To build a place, that a normal person would not think to look for dwarfs. Under the sea. We've been told that all the other 'blasphemers' will be sent to us. That's alright with me! We'll show the traditional dwarf what it means to be innovative and not always do the same thing! In the end, they will want to come to us. They will embrace our ideas and our methods. We will embrace their arrival, I do not hate them for being stuck in their ways, I could not hate a fellow dwarf. We're preparing for our embark, we're told that there is little we're allowed, maybe they don't want us to grow.

-Year 9 - Fall
Our trek has taken a turn for the worse. We've lost countless supplies and our anvil! Looks like we're going to pray for a caravan... pray we live until then as well. The weather is nice at least, it's nice and warm.

-Year 10 - Spring
We've made it! We've made it to our destination, thank Armok. I was beginning to get worried there. Lots of big game wildlife around here. We're going to need to be careful. Here's to surviving the journey and beginning the surviving here on this beach.

---The Story Begins---

1st Granite, 10, Early Spring
-Agenda-
Establish a wall.
Establish a farming area.
Establish a area for potable water.
Prepare for new arrivals
Live.

---

McBoss - "Get to work guys! I don't want to see you guys laying around sipping margaritas!"

Others - "Awww, c'mon! Can't we relax for a little while?"

McBoss - "Are those... wait what are those? They look like... ELEPHANTS!"

Everyone - "Oh shit! WALL WALL WALL!"

---

5th Felsite, 10, Late Spring

-Agenda-
Establish a wall. CHECK!
Establish a farming area.
Establish an area for potable water.
Prepare for new arrivals.
Live.
DRAIN THE OCEAN!

McBoss - "Good job boys! We've established ourselves a fancy shmancy litte 2 level house dealio here!"

Imush - "Those damn waves didn't help at all, almost lost one of us."

McBoss - "But I didn't! And you all lived, so you're all stronger now."

Ushrir - "I guess you have a point, but still we need to some how make this light house deeping into the ocean."

McBoss - "I have the perfect plan! We're going to... DRAIN THE OCEAN!"

Non-boss dudes - "WHAT?!?!?!"

McBoss - "You see, it's quite easy, with how Dwarf Fortress isn't quite bug free, there's a nifty little trick where you can carve a fortification into the side of the map and water will drain INSTANTANEOUSLY, cause tons of lag and the ocean will be drained. Of course there is some other stuff to be careful of... Like making sure the dwarf opening the hole to the ocean is a good swimmer."

Dodok - "Way to break the fourth wall McBoss..."

McBoss - "Hey! It's still gotta work! Right? Right...?"

-silent paus-

McBoss - "Well, we're doing it anyways!"

---

15th Felsite, 10, Late Spring

-Agenda-

McBoss - "Hey guys! Guess what! We're ready to drain the ocean. Guess who gets to go!"

Asmel - "Who?"

McBoss - "YOU DO! You spoke up first, so you lose."

Asmel - "You know I hate you right? I'm so going to clonk you a good one if I make it out of this alive."

McBoss - "Well get to it! I'll be waiting behind this door for you, I'll open it when you knock on the door 2 and a half times."

Asmel - "Alright well here I... wait... two and a half times? Are you kidding me?"

McBoss - "Well, you're going to slam into the door from the insane pressure of 100 z-levels of ocean. So we'll count that as half a knock."

Asmel - "That's reassuring..."

Asmel walks out the door and McBoss braces it for the impact. "Here I go." Tick tick tick... "Uh-oh" WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH (game lags for like 10 minutes) THUD! .......... knock........... knock........

McBoss - "That's it!"

McBoss unbraces the door, water rushes in along with Asmel. Laying on his back and coughs up some water.

Asmel - Cough cough hack cough "That..." Cough cough "was... AMAZING!" he spits a few times. "If it wasn't for the crushing pain and the nasty taste of that ocean water, I'd say let's do that again."

McBoss - "That's the spirit! No rest for the wicked though. We need to get working... and fast! if we want any sort of decent frame rate back."

Asmel - "Good plan, I don't feel like moving like a glacier for the rest of my life."

OOC - I'd like to point out that was the amount of time that was required for my game to respond.The ocean took quite a long time to drain. I'd get very very random screen updates as water quickly disappeared. I am embarked on a 6x6 map area where 6x5 of the map is water. 100 zlevels of water. With a perfectly flat bottom. Let's do a little math!

48 x 6 = 288, 48 x 5 = 240

Alright so the map water area only is 288x240 tiles wide. It's 100 zlevels of water. so...

288 x 240 x 100 = 6912000

Yes, that's right... 6912000 tiles of water. ALL reacting, at once. That's... A lot of water. I'm going to be here a while.

--Alright the time between the math bit was when I decided to watch the movie Blade. I finished the movie and it was still going, but it's picking up pace. The ocean isn't drained all the way yet. I'm thinking of watching Blade 2 and continuing the process.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 05:03:28 pm by Shaostoul »
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
Re: Areloram - The Underwater City
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 08:19:38 pm »

This post will be for migrants.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 08:20:16 pm »

This post will be for... Idno...

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 08:31:24 pm »

I claim the other stoney. I want her to be a solider, preferably hammerdwarf. Name her "Urist McSolider"
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 08:34:31 pm »

Right-o when I have the equipment, I'll make her a soldier.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 09:10:09 pm »

5th Slate, 10, Mid-Spring

-Journal Entry- Eral Ibruktekkud

It's beginning to thaw! Oh it's so nice, everyone's been working so hard to get everything ready and it's thawing! Time flew by so quick. We need to hurry up and finish our below sea-level digging so we don't drown! We're planning on making a light house! That's soooo cool. It'll be a beacon for all those dwarfs that no one loves. The decision to make it a circle like shape is also wonderful, it's tiring dealing with squares all the time. Well I better get back to work, I don't want to drown!

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 09:26:27 pm »

44 z-levels of ocean unfreezing on a more or less entire ocean map... 6x6 embark area 6x5 is ocean on the embark screen... game is frozen at the moment.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 10:01:58 pm »

Jesus, 6x6? And 6x5x44 is melting all at once? What do you get, 0.5FPS?

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 10:03:20 pm »

I was wrong, it wasn't melting all at once. It paused for about 10ish minutes. I had to reload the game, so I'm sitting through it again, I'll let you know what I see that disappears.

-edit-

it was only like 6 or so z-levels that went bye bye and a weather change.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 10:10:46 pm by Shaostoul »

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2010, 10:45:39 pm »

Ah, only 6z? Not so bad. Also, if while this is running, and .09 comes out with fixed crossbows, I want Urist McSolider given a crossbow, in honer of her name.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2010, 10:46:48 pm »

If 09 comes out real soon and is save breaking, I'll start over again, I'm probably not going to get very far, so I wouldn't mind too much.

-edit-

weather cleared and it's frozen again, a lot more water must be unfreezing this time.

-edit-

Woooooooow, this is taking a really long time... O.o Maybe I should re-embark on a non-freezing ocean...

-edit-

giving it until 9:20... erm 6 more minutes.

-edit-

Alright, well I don't want to wait (going on half hour now) 30+ minutes every time the ocean wants to thaw/freeze. So I'm going to gen a warm climate one and all... I'll be changing original posts to suit the new level. So... yeah! unfrozen water is tons harder to work with anyways.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 11:22:16 pm by Shaostoul »

KJGJ

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2010, 11:40:34 pm »

I'll snag asmel

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2010, 04:18:41 pm »

Hey sorry about that guys. The ice thing was taking too long and I didn't want to wait so long when the winter freeze came around.

Here's the new one, the first post is updated with all the new stuff along with some story.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2010, 06:39:37 pm »

Water is still draining, finished blade 2, throwing in blade 3.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2010, 12:12:56 am »

I'll take Imush. Make him a marksdwarf.
Name: Sharpbolt
Profession:The Cake is a Lie
Pages: [1] 2 3