Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trouble evaporating water.  (Read 661 times)

izilizi

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Trouble evaporating water.
« on: July 09, 2010, 06:16:43 pm »

So I'm going through some tutorials and attempting to create a floodgate farming system by the river. This is all taking place 1 Z level below the surface. I've dug a 2 wide tunnel with a non-connecting-to-the-rest-of-my-fort-shaft. Had it breach the river, and the entire shaft filled up with water. I waited a long time, and I observed no evaporation to happen, the water did not recede. So I thought perhaps the water needed some more room, a bad idea in hindsight considering its being fed by a river. I made a big area to flood at the water into and connected it to my flooded tunnel. It just filled up that space too, and now neither of them will evaporate.
What do?

Also how many feet high is one Z level supposed to be? I'm trying to visualize different things in my fortress and that information would help a lot.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 06:37:18 pm by izilizi »

izilizi

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Trouble evaporating water.
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 06:18:13 pm »

Oh crap! I had too many browser windows open and put this thread in the wrong section. Sorry guys!
Would an OP be kind enough to transfer?

style

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 06:27:43 pm »

Evaporation only happens at 1/7 water depth.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 06:29:47 pm »

water only evaporates when it is at 1/7 depth.  You need to find a way to seal it off from the river, then just drain it into the caverns or off the map edge.
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 06:32:36 pm »

You can move the thread yourself.

And your problem is that only water that is 1/1 will evaporate, and by the sounds of it you let your tunnels fill to 7/7.  To get a better idea of how much water is in an area go into init_d.txt and set SHOW_FLOW_AMOUNTS to YES, this will cause all liquids to display the current level.  To get water to evaporate you need to let a small amount spread out in an area.  The best way is to set up a chamber with 2 'valves' of some sort.  One valve sits between your water source and the chamber, and the other between your chamber and the area you want muddied.  You want to make the chamber about 1/7th the size of the room you want to muddy, so that when you open the chamber there is enough water to cover the area you want muddied.  For example, I have a room that is 10x10(100 tiles)  that I want to muddy, so next to that room I dig out a 7x2 room(14 tiles) to be the holding chamber.

Here is a quick example I made to show you what I mean.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 06:48:08 pm by gtmattz »
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

izilizi

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 07:02:55 pm »

You can move the thread yourself.

And your problem is that only water that is 1/1 will evaporate, and by the sounds of it you let your tunnels fill to 7/7.  To get a better idea of how much water is in an area go into init_d.txt and set SHOW_FLOW_AMOUNTS to YES, this will cause all liquids to display the current level.  To get water to evaporate you need to let a small amount spread out in an area.  The best way is to set up a chamber with 2 'valves' of some sort.  One valve sits between your water source and the chamber, and the other between your chamber and the area you want muddied.  You want to make the chamber about 1/7th the size of the room you want to muddy, so that when you open the chamber there is enough water to cover the area you want muddied.  For example, I have a room that is 10x10(100 tiles)  that I want to muddy, so next to that room I dig out a 7x2 room(14 tiles) to be the holding chamber.

Here is a quick example I made to show you what I mean.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Thanks a lot gtmattz!. I've no idea how to go about sealing it off, and I can't be arsed to drain it off the map so I'm going to create a seperate tunnel and try again. Going to put that system in place before I breach the river.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 07:14:16 pm »

Going to put that system in place before I breach the river.

Just leave the last tile between the river and your tunnels undug, and once everything is built channel it out from above.  If you built it right the holding chamber should fill up and then one pull of the lever will let it muddy your room without danger of flooding.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.