Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dormitories  (Read 2457 times)

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
  • The groboclones are looking for you.
    • View Profile
Dormitories
« on: July 09, 2010, 06:04:56 pm »

My dwarves aren't claiming rooms since I built a dormitory. Is anyone else experiencing this? It seems like a bug.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dormitories
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 06:06:42 pm »

dwarves cannot claim dorms, rooms are for individuals, dorms are shared.

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 06:08:43 pm »

dwarves cannot claim dorms, rooms are for individuals, dorms are shared.

I think you misunderstood: I have a bunch of rooms that are unclaimed and yet dwarves are still opting to sleep in the dormitory (which generates a 'slept without a proper room' thought). They should be claiming those available rooms instead of just going into the dormitory.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 06:15:32 pm »

oh lol sorry. Yeah I had this same exact problem. Right now dwarves will simply sleep in the closest room regardless of what it is. a !!bed!! two tiles away is the better option to them then a free legendary bedroom on the other side of the fort.

clc02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 07:04:50 pm »

Also will invade hospitals.  Known bug, I think it's fixed in next version.
Only in dwarven culture is alcohol poisoning a death worthed investigating, while being impaled through several toes, a eye, and a thumb from a spiraling water[3] is not.  Because everyone knows, the only way a dwarf could get alcohol poisoning is if someone put poison into the alcohol.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 07:29:28 pm »

I am pretty sure that unless the economy is active and in effect you have to manually assign the rooms to each individual dwarf...  Please someone correct me if I am wrong here?
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 07:39:04 pm »

I am pretty sure that unless the economy is active and in effect you have to manually assign the rooms to each individual dwarf...  Please someone correct me if I am wrong here?

It's not that; even if you don't manually assign the bedrooms to individual dwarves, they will do it themselves by "claiming" a free bedroom as theirs (permanently) the next time they want to sleep.  The problem (bug) is that even though they've claimed a bedroom, they won't ever go sleep in it.  They just grab the nearest bed they can find when they get tired no matter who owns it.

This is particularly a problem when your Baron doesn't sleep in his Legendary Bedroom and instead decided to sleep in your mud barracks just because he happened to get tired while he was walking past it.  Then he gets a bad thought about how he *had* to sleep in a terrible bedroom.

I haven't seen Toady mention it for the next version (has anyone else?) but I'm sure it's on his list of things to deal with at some point soon.

--nomad_delta

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 12:45:52 am »

This is particularly a problem when your Baron doesn't sleep in his Legendary Bedroom and instead decided to sleep in your mud barracks just because he happened to get tired while he was walking past it.  Then he gets a bad thought about how he *had* to sleep in a terrible bedroom.

Yeah, I'll have to keep an eye out for that. For me, it's still a problem that they don't claim bedrooms, either :/

Epacsten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010, 01:05:49 am »

Just build one or more huge legendary bedrooms with enough beds for everyone. No beds anywhere else. No hospital either.
Designate the bedroom(s) off the center bed only, and assign it to your highest noble(s). You can still give everyone their own room just so they have a chest/cabinet/etc, but make sure the rooms are always considered farther away than the super room(s).

This causes everyone to be thrilled about sleeping in a legendary bedroom, as well as saving you a lot of work in the long run. Combine it with a legendary dining hall and you won't need fancy stuff like mist generators except maybe in the prison.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 01:07:37 am by Epacsten »
Urist McMayor: "Uh, err, h-hello --"
Kung Ustruorgu: "BE ENGULFED IN CLOUDS OF LOCUSTS AND EATEN ALIVE, MORTAL, FOR I BRING GREETINGS FROM TRADING GUILD. THERE IS MUCH TO DISSCUSS REGARDING TRADE BETWEEN OUR NATIONS AND YOUR INEVITABLE DEATH CAUSED BY HORIBLE MUTILATION OF YOUR PELVIC FLOOR.
WE ALSO PROPOSE EXCANGE OF SILK SOCKS, COOKIES AND TOYS."

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2010, 01:09:33 am »

Just build one or more huge legendary bedrooms with enough beds for everyone.

That's an interesting idea. Might be fun to try.

However, I have to say that my dwarves definitely do go to their rooms to sleep. They don't just go to the nearest bed.

Epacsten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2010, 01:13:07 am »

They usually end up sleeping in their own room if they went there for another reason, such as idling or collecting clothing. I'm not 100% sure because I've apparently had dwarves chose someone else's bed when their own was closer.
Urist McMayor: "Uh, err, h-hello --"
Kung Ustruorgu: "BE ENGULFED IN CLOUDS OF LOCUSTS AND EATEN ALIVE, MORTAL, FOR I BRING GREETINGS FROM TRADING GUILD. THERE IS MUCH TO DISSCUSS REGARDING TRADE BETWEEN OUR NATIONS AND YOUR INEVITABLE DEATH CAUSED BY HORIBLE MUTILATION OF YOUR PELVIC FLOOR.
WE ALSO PROPOSE EXCANGE OF SILK SOCKS, COOKIES AND TOYS."

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2010, 01:55:26 am »

They usually end up sleeping in their own room if they went there for another reason, such as idling or collecting clothing. I'm not 100% sure because I've apparently had dwarves chose someone else's bed when their own was closer.

I'm not sure about it either but I'm going to look a bit... they all idle in a hall I created, so I don't think they'd be in their rooms for that. Some of them might be bringing in items...

shibdib

• Bay Watcher
  • How much for Goat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2010, 02:20:55 am »

Just build one or more huge legendary bedrooms with enough beds for everyone.

That's an interesting idea. Might be fun to try.

However, I have to say that my dwarves definitely do go to their rooms to sleep. They don't just go to the nearest bed.

Do u assign their rooms urself? if so then thats not the problem. Dwarfs are supposed to "claim" a room, essentially auto assigning themselves. They no longer do this, or never have (havent been here that long)

ghosteh

• Bay Watcher
  • Free Charles Bronson
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2010, 08:17:23 am »

sometimes my dwarves sleep in other people's rooms, doesn't seem to affect either dwarf, though
I've killed enough humans to know their patterns.

spooq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2010, 08:19:37 am »

Also will invade hospitals.  Known bug, I think it's fixed in next version.

Still happening in 31.10
Pages: [1] 2