Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dormitories  (Read 2448 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Dormitories
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2010, 08:20:19 am »

Dwarves will claim rooms themselves.  They just don't do so very reliably.  In my current fortress perhaps a quarter of the dwarves have claimed rooms.  The rest are just content to sleep in any random room.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
  • The groboclones are looking for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2010, 03:10:56 am »

Do u assign their rooms urself? if so then thats not the problem. Dwarfs are supposed to "claim" a room, essentially auto assigning themselves. They no longer do this, or never have (havent been here that long)

No. My dwarves were claiming rooms at first. I never assigned any. The first seven claimed theirs and probably the first wave of migrants did the same. Then I built the dormitory and they seemed to stop...

That guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2010, 04:09:23 am »

sometimes my dwarves sleep in other people's rooms, doesn't seem to affect either dwarf, though

I've had the owner of the room come in and watch the other dwarf while they slept, and then leaving when the sleeping dwarf woke up. The owner of the room wasn't tired or anything, though.

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2010, 05:35:00 am »

A dwarf will claim a room he has just slept in, if it's free and he doesn't already have one. So because right now dwarves go for the nearest bed, some beds are left unclaimed as everyone sleeps in the rooms closest to main work area. And these rooms of course are being claimed, it just doesn't matter.

You can still give everyone their own room just so they have a chest/cabinet/etc
I have better idea. Give everyone their own tomb. Having a ready tomb can make dwarves happy, and you can place all their chests/cabinets there.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 05:36:41 am by Murphy »

Suilenroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2010, 05:38:47 am »

Setting the dormitory to a low/restricted traffic zone (designations menu) will probably encourage your dwarves to use other options.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2010, 07:59:27 pm »

Just build one or more huge legendary bedrooms with enough beds for everyone.

That's an interesting idea. Might be fun to try.

However, I have to say that my dwarves definitely do go to their rooms to sleep. They don't just go to the nearest bed.

Do u assign their rooms urself? if so then thats not the problem. Dwarfs are supposed to "claim" a room, essentially auto assigning themselves. They no longer do this, or never have (havent been here that long)

They still claim their own rooms if you set some up by leave them unassigned. I used this method all the time in 40d.

In 31.0x, however, because dwarves tend to sleep in the nearest bed when tired, I noticed my farther away rooms never seemed to get claimed.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Hobbie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2010, 08:22:26 pm »

I see this as a benefit. If you were to build districts for different jobs and have public dormitories, the Dwarves would path to the closest place to sleep, right? So they get the happiness of having a home and you get the happiness of not having Dwarves pathing all over the place.

hailthefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2010, 01:17:19 am »

But you also have to deal with the unhappiness of dwarves who are opting to sleep on the floor in shitty communal dorms rather than their own rooms. I compensated for this by engraving the carp out of my hospital.
Pages: 1 [2]