Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mega Project: The Mines of Moria  (Read 9478 times)

JoshBrickstien

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey!
    • View Profile
Mega Project: The Mines of Moria
« on: July 09, 2010, 03:25:39 pm »

V 0.31.08

I'm starting the megaproject from the wiki. Will I make it? No idea. I plan on trying to keep it alive until I have grandparents.

Quote from: Lord of the rings wiki
In the mines of Khazad-dum were found gold, silver, iron, beryls, pearls, opals, and other precious metals and gems. The lodes of mithril  were deep under the mountains, running north toward the roots of the Redhorn.

Checklist
Gold [Y]
Silver [Y]
Iron [Y]
Mithril (Adamantine) [Y]
Beryls [?]
Opals [Y]
Pearls [Not a mineable material]

Population: 7
Miners: 2

Embark Sign: Black Bear

Quote from: Lord of the Rings Wiki
The Bridge was originally designed by the dwarves as a choke point to force invading enemies to concentrate in one area, thus allowing for much easier kills.
I foresee the Bridge of Khazad-dûm being a highly strategic point. Imagine an army of gobbos attacking, a cage of war dogs charges them. Gobbos and dogs alike fall to the abyss.
Any advice?
It's a mostly mountain map, with a small area of forest to the west.

I'll upload pictures on request, if someone tells me of a free image host with PNG capabilities.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 05:36:17 pm by JoshBrickstien »
Edit: OH GOD, THE LEATHERS ARE MULTIPLYING WHENEVER I SLEEP.

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
  • In the end, i will win.
    • View Profile
Re: Mega Project: The Mines of Moria
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 03:39:26 pm »

tinypic.com is free and easy as hell
Beryl and Opal is not needed as they are gem (i think) and i also support this!

JoshBrickstien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 03:50:24 pm »

I'll use tiny pic then

Strange thing: I think the forest area is terrifying, as I just found I have a zombie Tigerman on my list. bizarre.

Mining is going well on the main entrance, The herbalist is busy gathering extra food, The boys are shortly going to dig out temp food storage so my juicy meats from embark don't rot. The woodcutter is also a trained Axeman, and as such should be able to fend off the marmot attacks. (=P)
Also note that everything on that list was found in the exposed rockface. There may be beryls are opals deeper below. There is a massive number of Bloodstones (Blood for the blood god!) and (Star)Sapphires. I see this being very a successful Fort.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 03:53:54 pm »

This idea is awesome, it'd be real cool to see done. Are there layout pictures of how the mines are supposed to look?

Also... how do you figure out the embark sign?
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

JoshBrickstien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 03:56:53 pm »

The embark sign is things like "ere the ____ get hungry"

There are maps from LOTRO, but they are much to confusing to follow for building.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 04:08:13 pm »

I just thought that was something else... O.o What about those people that have like embark signs that are circles and stuff? Or am I thinking of civ symbol or w/e?
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

JoshBrickstien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 04:27:07 pm »

Summer has come.
The food stockpiles are done, the starts of the temp workshops are going up, We struck Alexandrite, in case anyone wanted to know. Which isn't likely.
Still, work continues.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 04:31:03 pm »

Are you just winging it or are there any sorta plans you're following?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 04:46:17 pm »

Do you have an upright spoiler?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

JoshBrickstien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2010, 05:24:24 pm »

odd, there sems to be an Upright spoiler under my base. =P Just curious, has anyone manage to get it, and keep their fort alive?

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2010, 05:51:08 pm »

WTF is an "upright spoiler" ??? I keep seeing that and I'm obviously out of the loop.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2010, 09:25:48 pm »

odd, there sems to be an Upright spoiler under my base. =P Just curious, has anyone manage to get it, and keep their fort alive?

So far, not really. Death by fps if nothing else.

Also, how big is the embark?
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Canuhearmenow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2010, 09:48:38 pm »

Glad to see someone else making the Mines of Moria, I've already laid out a foundation for one, it's currently 7 years in.

Trust me, it's a massive undertaking even with over 100 Dwarves (and I checked the checklist, I have everything as well, even a massive Adamantine vein to the north of the map, which is over a massive choke point "bridge" which I'll channel the sides as to make a nice pit, but I doubt I'll do that for the next 4-5 in-game years.)
Here's the map I'm using:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 09:53:58 pm by Canuhearmenow »

wisp wings

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2010, 01:49:53 am »

Pearls? Pearls? The great mines of Moria even cannoniclly contained pearls? Did the dwarves discover some form of subterrainian sea life, or was the world literally their oyster? Maybe it was just an indication that the original dwarves emparked on a sand map.

Also, are you going to just let elves walts in by saying the magic word, or are you going to be like all good dwarves and slaughter them by the dozen?

Remember, in dwarf fortress digging too deep and too greedly can only ever be a good thing!

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2010, 03:43:04 am »

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-8652-paddledlured
Pages: [1] 2