Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Preventitive measures against catsplosions  (Read 2132 times)

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Preventitive measures against catsplosions
« on: July 09, 2010, 01:22:15 pm »

Due to my own lack of attention to the alerts at the bottom of my screen, some cats have had kittens and now those kittens have adopted owners. I can see the beginnings of a catsplosion happening, I'm paying more attention now and caging/butchering any new kittens as they're born, but is there anything I can do about the ones who already have owners?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Aravin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Preventitive measures against catsplosions
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 01:25:17 pm »

Due to my own lack of attention to the alerts at the bottom of my screen, some cats have had kittens and now those kittens have adopted owners. I can see the beginnings of a catsplosion happening, I'm paying more attention now and caging/butchering any new kittens as they're born, but is there anything I can do about the ones who already have owners?

For the survival of fortress (ia his main manager) kill off those dwarves?

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 01:33:06 pm »

I would simply suggest to mod the cats in the raws of your save and in the general raws. Give them the tag [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] and extend their childhood to several years with the [CHILD:1] tag. Setting it to [CHILD:10], for instance, keeps them as non-breeding kittens for 10 years, essentially allowing them to perhaps have one or two kittens before they die of old age.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

C4lv1n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 02:58:01 pm »

Magma, a huge magma death chamber to kill anything trying to further the catsplosion.
I've played a guitar with my penis.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 03:15:16 pm »

So, what exactly is bad about a catsplosion? Is it just the fps hit?
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

Epacsten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 03:28:16 pm »

Not just FPS.

Cats tend to adopt a dwarf, then go wander outside and get killed. This causes all kinds of FUN.
Urist McMayor: "Uh, err, h-hello --"
Kung Ustruorgu: "BE ENGULFED IN CLOUDS OF LOCUSTS AND EATEN ALIVE, MORTAL, FOR I BRING GREETINGS FROM TRADING GUILD. THERE IS MUCH TO DISSCUSS REGARDING TRADE BETWEEN OUR NATIONS AND YOUR INEVITABLE DEATH CAUSED BY HORIBLE MUTILATION OF YOUR PELVIC FLOOR.
WE ALSO PROPOSE EXCANGE OF SILK SOCKS, COOKIES AND TOYS."

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 03:44:42 pm »

In the 2D versions cats would adopt dwarves and breed and their kittens would adopt the same dwarves and keep breeding until you've got a crazy cat lady dwarf with fifty cats following her everywhere and making your fps plummet because all the cats are tripping over each other recalculating their route every frame so that they can follow the crazy cat lady and there apparently wasn't all that much you could do about it.

I haven't really experienced this behavior all that much in more recent versions. Most likely due to improvements in pet pathfinding, or dwarves being limited to only three pets, or some combination of the two. But fear of catsplosions remains potent.

A few pet cats won't kill your fps like having two hundred dwarves will. I wouldn't worry about it. There are creative ways to get rid of pets if it still bothers you. They involve pressure plates, pet impassable doors, traffic zones, and long drops.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Arekis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 06:33:10 pm »

You can also go with complete feline sterility.  I think adding the tag [LITTERSIZE:0:0] to the cat raws accomplishes that if I remember correctly.  I've done that before and have been much happier.  Dealing with a catsplosion is neither fun nor FUN for me, just frustrating.  I embark with cats or request them from caravans when I need more.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 06:41:10 pm »

Preventive catsplosion measures here pretty much consists of don't embark with any, and kill off any that immigrants bring. Vermin give some unhappy thoughts and eat a bit of food, thats all. It's easy enough to overproduce food so not a big deal there, and a legendary dining room fixes jus about all unhappiness problems.

A 0 cat fortress is a fortress with a much healthier fps.

C4lv1n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2010, 11:20:29 pm »

Personaly I get one male at embark, it takes care of vermin and he can't breed anyway!
I've played a guitar with my penis.

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2010, 03:22:37 am »

simplest way is to dig a pit, put a bridge over that pit, put doors on both ends, and have the dwarf walk through.
when the cats are in the middle of it, lock the doors.
pull the level for the bridge and watch the kitties plummet (or drown, your preferance)
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

Urist McArtStudent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2010, 09:11:09 am »

Here's the easiest way to get rid of them. Make your dwarves kill their own damn kittens:

Create a long dead-end corridor filled with repeating spike traps.
Lever at the end, linked to all the traps.
Two doors, one at the start pet-passable, one at the end (Before the lever) pet-impassable.
Like this:

+^^^^^^^^^^^+ó

Set the lever's profile to be only operable by the cat owner.
Then set it to be pulled on repeat.

Urist McAnimallover comes along, goes down the corridor and starts pulling the lever.
As soon as you see his cats enter the corridor after him, lock the first door so they don't escape.
As soon as he gets to the end and starts pulling the lever, the cats will be skewered on repeat until they die. It's all super easy to build and you can use wooden spikes if you haven't got the metal industry going (or if you really hate kittens and want them to suffer)

I usually have this thing built by the time I have the summer migrant wave, because I'm just that paranoid about kittens XD I bring two male cats on embark expecting them to last for the first few years and then I'll buy more male cats from caravans as required, but any females entering my fort MUST DIE.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2010, 09:17:35 am »

Wouldn't it make more sense just to eat their babies?
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Urist McPenguin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2010, 12:35:15 pm »

Wouldn't it make more sense just to eat their babies?
It would, but sometimes adoption takes place too fast. It's just like real life, once the women get in, its game over for us all.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2010, 12:42:37 pm »

Wait, kittens can be adopted? None of mine have yet. Weird.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.
Pages: [1] 2