Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trap permajamed?  (Read 512 times)

Solace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Trap permajamed?
« on: July 09, 2010, 01:21:13 pm »

I made a trio of weapon traps to get some basic early defense for my fort, and one of which went from red to dark-red, which I assume means it doesn't work for any reason. However, it stayed like that until I abandoned my fort about a year and a half later, even though dwarves had easy access to it and there was nothing sitting on it's tile to possibly jam it, if that's how that works.

Side question, I hear the good point of spikes in weapon traps is that they do not jam. If I have a weapon trap with one spike and some other things, will it never jam, always jam, or partly jam?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Trap permajamed?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 01:47:29 pm »

Upright spike traps and weapon traps are two different things.  Weapon traps activate automatically, and can jam.  I've never heard of one jamming permanently however.  If nothing else deconstructing and reconstructing it should have worked.

Upright spike traps never jam, but need to be linked to an external trigger, such as a dwarf pulling a lever or a pressure plate.  They don't do anything by themselves and only cause damage when they extend.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Cephas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 01:56:17 pm »

I made a trio of weapon traps to get some basic early defense for my fort, and one of which went from red to dark-red, which I assume means it doesn't work for any reason.

Are you sure that doesn't just mean it's covered in blood?

Rvlion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 02:16:16 pm »

I made a trio of weapon traps to get some basic early defense for my fort, and one of which went from red to dark-red, which I assume means it doesn't work for any reason.

Are you sure that doesn't just mean it's covered in blood?
In my last 40d fortress my "only" fortress defense also went from red to dark red, Only it was 3 (at that moment still hidden) ambush groups of enemies (Evil Dragons in my private mod) who were one by one walking in the same space as my weapon traps and got themselves killed by 10 large surrated blades / trap.  :o

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 07:12:12 pm »

blood can color any trap dark red.

Also, weaopns traps without enough bolts are dark red as well.

Solace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 10:16:01 pm »

Aaah, yet another weird little nuance to remember, thanks. :P