Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Do you like polls?

Yes I like polls
No I hate them and Think they should be burned.

Author Topic: underground forest  (Read 643 times)

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
underground forest
« on: July 09, 2010, 01:15:07 pm »

I'm making an underground forrest. And I'm wondering about how to maxamalize the output.
I'm also wondering at what level and what conditions the little tree saplings get damaged by water. I need to know this because I often flood parts of the forest in order to add new dug parts to it. My main goal is to produce as much wood as passble.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
Re: underground forest
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 01:17:26 pm »

First of all, clear all wood off the surface, make sure none grow back.
Make a huge open area, and drain murky pools into it.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 01:18:55 pm »

Actually my underground forest is kinda bigger as in already half the map on 1 Z level and thinking about expaning bigger I need some kind of large advance (This isn't murky pools but rather redirecting rivers.)
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Rkui

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 01:58:21 pm »

I'm not a pro here, since i made my first tower cap forest in my last fort. As you i redirect a brook and just let a huge surface being covered by water, then wait for the evaporation. Since the brook is freezing in the map the redirect channels get emptyed often. So it seam that water don't damage the sapling neither the tower cap, neither the plants, since in those channel both grow. I'm also sure they actually grow underwater since i made my first water reservoir for my wells at the begining of the fort, then years later emptyed it and the floor was full of mushrooms and plants. In fact it seam to me that they grow a bit better when there in more water, like from 2/7 to 4/7 pressure, they then seam to pop up magically or it is just an effect i'm not sure since a fully grown tower cap will block the scare he is on.
But in general the way they grow seam random to me, some will pop up in a matter of second, other seam to take years to grow. I needed around 4/6 years to have the tower cap forest look the same density as you find it in a cavern. And sometime when i fill the reservoirs it look like the small tower caps are floating in the water its pretty funny, but i think its just an effect due to the water sometime covering, then showing the caps at low pressure.
And it seam they don't grow if you let a rock on the surface so i dump systematically all the rocks before i flood a surface, it look a lot nicer too, but you need some dwarf power.

But as i said i'm pretty new to this so i might be wrong.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 02:04:21 pm »

I already figgered the need for clearnace. I have more then enough dwarfpower.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 03:44:55 pm »

Its pretty easy to make a huge treefarm underground.

Easy way is to wall off a cavern and just farm the already existing caverns, with constructed walls to keep nasties out. Or you can dig out a huge section of rock, like an entire Z level. Then flood the cavern with water to get it muddy.

Be sure to haul the rocks away so the tower caps can grow there.