Advanced search  

Author Topic: CARP  (Read 550 times)

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
CARP
« on: July 09, 2010, 12:47:43 pm »

Well, I am still a newbling who has had a grand total of three forts make it past the first year and then die promptly after.  But, now I feel they might live long enough for me to have a little creative "fun".  To do this, I wanted to make a carp+pike+salmon infested moat around my entrance but I have yet to capture a single fishy.  Any tips on capturing (and taming) carp/pike?
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: CARP
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 01:03:34 pm »

To capture carp, you'll want to build a corridor full of weapon traps, with remote-controlled floodgates set up so you can connect it to a carp-infested body of water, let the carp in to be caged, then close off the water inlet and drain the water out of the corridor to retrieve the carp.

Taming carp will be impossible without the Dungeon Master, who seems to be bugged and almost never shows up in DF2010.  Even if you have him (or mod carp to be common domestic animals) taming aquatic creatures is a challenge.  You need to bring a creature to the kennel to tame it.  Carp drown in water less than 4/7 deep, and jobs are canceled in water more than 3/7 deep.  I have heard that with luck and water that is fluctuating between 3/7 and 4/7 in just the right way you can manage to make it work, whereupon the tame carp does nothing useful because pathfinding in water is broken.

Carp aren't nearly as deady in the current version as they used to be anyway.  If you really want some exotic fun try making a defense based on rutherers or some other exotic creature from the underground.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 01:15:46 pm »

To capture carp, you'll want to build a corridor full of weapon traps
Because tearing carp up is the best way to capture them.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Aravin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 01:23:30 pm »

Carp aren't deadly anymore. They are just fish now.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 01:45:19 pm »

Cage traps, not weapons traps.  Although weapon traps would be good if you wanted to butcher them.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 02:28:12 pm »

Ah okay thanks guys! ps it is also my mini dwarf project to have a fish farm moat but thanks for the help :D
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 02:32:36 pm »

The only fish that can survive above water is the lung fish.
Feel free to capture and breed those buggers!
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 02:47:08 pm »

And lungfish are vermin, which don't breed.

A cave crocodile farm is always fun, although they won't stay in the moat unless you wall them in, at which point there's not much point in having a moat.  A crocodile pit full of tame crocodiles that you drop prisoners in would work well.