Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Wardogs are struggling.  (Read 5533 times)

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wardogs are struggling.
« on: July 09, 2010, 12:20:05 pm »

Remeber the days when you could count on these guys to take down any kobold theives? Those days are gone it seems. Wardogs don't last more than a couple of ticks against anyone anymore. I have them assigned to my soldiers hoping to freeze goblins attention while the axedwarf approaches, but they are usually struck down before anyone gets close. There only real use is in uncovering ambushes it seems.

On a related note, those little theives are dangerous now! I saw a goblin snatcher flick off a dwarf's hand with his dagger before running away. Ouch. Didn't require a hospital visit though, it's not like you can sew it back on I guess.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Mysteriousbluepuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wardogs are struggling.
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 12:26:23 pm »

They should get somewhat better when the cummulative damage will be fixed ( wich is probly tomorrow ;)) As of now they gnaw anything for hours but are simply not strong enough to get the kill.

einstein9073

• Bay Watcher
  • Thus spice intestinally loft Blanka.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 12:54:08 pm »

... As of now they gnaw anything for hours but are simply not strong enough to get the kill.
I had a fort visited by a forgotten beast before I started a military. My pack of war dogs took this giant down, and proceeded to worry him like a good bone.

MONTHS LATER, I noticed the giant was still surrounded by dogs. He had cyan eyes (both chewed out of his still living skull, presumably) and yellow wounds on every other external body part. His wound list showed scarred, bleeding, torn flesh on every single body part, including each finger and toe. But still he lived in his blind agony.

Eventually I figured out how to get a woodcutter to come grant mercy to his 13,500kg misery. (military controls are SUCK.) He sat there helpless as a bleeding chewtoy for over a season.

I should post this anecdote in the "most horrifying story" thread.
Strike the earth!
Dwarf Fortress: It menaces with spikes of AWESOME.

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 01:07:04 pm »

... As of now they gnaw anything for hours but are simply not strong enough to get the kill.
I had a fort visited by a forgotten beast before I started a military. My pack of war dogs took this giant down, and proceeded to worry him like a good bone.

MONTHS LATER, I noticed the giant was still surrounded by dogs. He had cyan eyes (both chewed out of his still living skull, presumably) and yellow wounds on every other external body part. His wound list showed scarred, bleeding, torn flesh on every single body part, including each finger and toe. But still he lived in his blind agony.

Eventually I figured out how to get a woodcutter to come grant mercy to his 13,500kg misery. (military controls are SUCK.) He sat there helpless as a bleeding chewtoy for over a season.

I should post this anecdote in the "most horrifying story" thread.

sounds like a pretty accurate fight with dogs and a giant.
Although I'd still think the giant would smack more dogs around
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 01:26:33 pm »

Enough wardogs can take down nearly anything. A single dog is harmless, but dozens of them will cause nearly anything that can feel pain to pass out from the pain. Once its passed out they will chew on it until it eventually bleeds to death.

einstein9073

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 01:44:55 pm »

I had a fort visited by a forgotten beast before I started a military. My pack of war dogs took this giant down, and proceeded to worry him like a good bone. ... He sat there helpless as a bleeding chewtoy for over a season.
sounds like a pretty accurate fight with dogs and a giant.
Although I'd still think the giant would smack more dogs around
One bitch received a yellow and a brown wound, one sire may have been killed. The giant was overcome by pain rather quickly.

Enough wardogs can take down nearly anything. A single dog is harmless, but dozens of them will cause nearly anything that can feel pain to pass out from the pain. Once its passed out they will chew on it until it eventually bleeds to death.
Eventually. We hope. I got tired of waiting. (Also somewhat squicked by the whole situation.)
Strike the earth!

Miko19

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 02:02:48 pm »

That's how the wardog idea works, I presume

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 02:05:32 pm »

BAH wardogs..

i have war troglodytes

thats right, soon i will amass an army of tamed war troglodytes to take down any foe that comes to my fort

-cough- along with my ~40 wardogs  -cough-

EDIT:

i forgot to mention i will slowly be working on war trolls,war blind cave ogres, war voracious cave crawlers, war cougers jaguars lions and there giant counterpart, war elephants and war elk birds
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 02:16:56 pm by ricky »
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 02:28:46 pm »

That's how the wardog idea works, I presume

Well, they used to be fairly useful. They couldn't beat a well equiped or trained goblin, but they would last long enough to give your guys the upper hand by distracting them, giving your dwarves free attacks. They were also very good at preventing the escape of any theives or snatcher's that went too deep into your fort. They would kill a kobold if they could slow him down enough to catch him.

My latest forts:

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2010, 02:36:00 pm »

Theres kind of a combat bug right now where if theres alot of dogs (or anything else), the forgotten beast or demon or whatever will get stuck in a cycle of repeatedly breaking holds and not actually attacking.

einstein9073

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2010, 02:41:30 pm »

Theres kind of a combat bug right now where if theres alot of dogs (or anything else), the forgotten beast or demon or whatever will get stuck in a cycle of repeatedly breaking holds and not actually attacking.
I'm not sure that's a bug.
If you had 10 wardogs latching on to various parts of your body, you wouldn't be able to do a damn thing except try to escape.

Maybe if the enemy was strong enough to use a wardog as an improvised weapon, but...
Strike the earth!

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2010, 02:46:37 pm »

I had war bears that were killed before they could do anything.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2010, 02:53:11 pm »

I had war bears that were killed before they could do anything.

It could just be that anything without armor has no chance at all. When you see how often armor prevents major injuries in the reports, if you take that away, then ur ded.

That and I think teeth are not effective weapons, as they seem to only bruise the muscle of your average kobold.

My latest forts:

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2010, 02:58:50 pm »

If you use the latest version, the issue with the teeth was fixed in .06 , then it should work fine.

I agree on the armor though, but theres no way to equip and unequip armor on war animals outside of the Arena.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2010, 03:02:03 pm »

Armoured war elephants are the stuff of nightmares.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4