Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I need help making a truly legendary room.  (Read 1305 times)

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I need help making a truly legendary room.
« on: July 09, 2010, 10:54:24 am »

It seems that legendary rooms are too easy to get nowadays. All you have to do is make the room a decent size, plonk in a bit of furniture and you're there. This irritates me somewhat - when I have a legendary room, I want it to be truly legendary.

For that reason, I have decided that my king will have a set of rooms truly worthy of the description legendary.

I have got the shape worked out, and he will have his bedroom, throne room and dining room all slightly larger than two embark tiles (that's roughly 5000 tiles available). However, I have reached a new and unexpected hurdle, so I must turn to the DF community to help me solve this problem.

What shall I place within these rooms? beds, tables, and the like only take up one tile each, and the room will look very bare with only them in. Although fancy features like magmafalls would be nice, they would need several z-levels of setup, and I have to get by with all the stuff on one z-level, or it will disrupt the rest of the fort.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I need help making a truly legendary room.
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 11:03:00 am »

How about stuff like fancy statues? I'm sure you have excess gold, maybe silver, or platnium. Put some of your best artifacts in there (although it doesn't look like dwarves get a good thought from just seeing an artifact ring or whatever in a stockpile in the hallway), or create a mosaic out of coloured tiles.

katyrnyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 11:04:09 am »

If it isn't at least five z-levels high, then how can it be truly legendary?

My first order of business would be to chain a dozen War Lions or War Tigers in there using masterwork gold chains.  (No lions and tigers?  Then go for War Bears.)

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 11:06:17 am »

I'm afraid that for this fort, I'm making everything out of clear glass, so gold/platinum statues are not an option.

Artifacts are also being used in a seperate artefact storage coming off of the king's rooms.

Animals, however, would be very nice - I'll probably fill up the study with a veritable forest of fearsome beasts.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 11:13:55 am »

I'm afraid that for this fort, I'm making everything out of clear glass, so gold/platinum statues are not an option.

Artifacts are also being used in a seperate artefact storage coming off of the king's rooms.

Animals, however, would be very nice - I'll probably fill up the study with a veritable forest of fearsome beasts.

You could have said that earlier, the part about clear glass.

How about gem windows? You should be able to include raw clear glass in it, so that should still count. Since I don't think you can make glass chains (barring an artifact), you could make the chains (if you use them) out of gold or whatever and decorate that with clear glass.

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 11:21:22 am »

a truly legendary room doesnt need to be that big.. just make it very tall, and very deep, make the clear glass floor have water or magma underneath, or even captured wild animals elves, wild animals will spook the king
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

Mysteriousbluepuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 12:22:18 pm »

I really think you should adapt it to the dwarf you watn to impress. If he like an type of fish, make a wall full of aquariums with those fishes. If you picture him more as a warlord, masterwork iron statue next to a steel throne, in a room with a massive magma waterfall  and clear glass over a magma cistern. Engrave the walls with picture of melting goblins/elves if avalaible

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 12:32:35 pm »

Hint: you can use obsidian casting+engraving to keep resetting until you get the right engraving.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 12:41:33 pm »

colour coordination with the tables and chairs to draw a giant dwarven picture, based on the likes of the king.

A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2010, 12:43:57 pm »

With a mile-wide room, you're never going to fill it up with anything less than maybe some stockpiles, a bunch of workshops, peasant living quarters and a dining hall.

Can you even define rooms to be embark-squares wide?  I know there is some upper limit on at least some designations of things.

Zanthra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2010, 12:53:39 pm »

Put down floor tiles of varying colors spelling the owner's name out, then from whatever tileset you are using, recreate his symbol in the floor.  Engrave the walls of all z-levels of the room, and create balconies inside the room.  You could make a self contained pillbox hanging from the ceiling for his personal guards.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2010, 02:11:07 pm »

Yes there is a quite small limit to room size just experienced it myself it's slightly less then one normal screen in size. So this won't be an offical room.

I can already imagen problems with the distance that dwarfs will have to walk to get to such a large room.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2010, 02:15:55 pm »

Maybe he meant the 48x48 embark square?

Anyways, as far as the king, yea, check out the legends. Sometimes you'll end up with a king/queen who has done great things. Like for example I've seen a king in the legends who was a great hunter. So, going with what your king/queens skills are and their past will help with the theme.

Jordrake

• Bay Watcher
  • Swabbie-Poet of the Good Ship Urist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2010, 03:59:00 pm »

Make the whole thing a massive maze, with various traps that will kill/capture literally anything that takes a wrong turn, be it dwarf, cat or goblin. Keep a set of levers rigged to floodgates throughout the labyrinth that change the shape of the corridors at the centre of each room, where the King's living quarters will be kept, as well as heaps of valuables.
Being made out of clear glass will make the happless dwarves' goblins' inevitable wrong turns into doom all the more hilarious.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2010, 04:26:17 pm »

Maybe some sort of humanoid zoo. 

Edit:  Put all his citizens into cages, and line his room with them.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!
Pages: [1] 2