Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Forgotten Beast-weakling  (Read 670 times)

Aravin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Forgotten Beast-weakling
« on: July 09, 2010, 10:50:58 am »

Recenly, i got a message that a salt humanoid appeared in caverns. I never do any entrance, when i find caverns, so it could wander down there forever. But i actually was very bored, and the appearance of such mighty beast made me excited. So i gathered 6 my best soldiers (all champions etc) and stationed them, while a miner made a passway for monster to pass thorugh. I've read, that inorganic beasts are real threat, as they can't be killed by any dwarven weapon but the decapitation by axe or other slashing weapon. So, i was looking for really intense battle. And what did i get? My militia commander with her steel spear made couple thrusts and that forgotten beast (!!!) died falling apart and leaving after him 2 salt units. I was so surprised, that i even reload that save. Same with my maceman. And same with my other spearman. That FORGOTTEN BEAST was WEAKER the a mere GOBLIN AMBUSHER. WTF??

It seems like that the size is what matters. It wasn't enourmours - most probably, just around human size. But that's not how i imagined FB - enourmous beasts with poison breath capable of tossing any dwarf with ease and fast like hell. Even the first one i got was a weakling too. It was huge, had some noxious breath (or whatever it was) and it was flying, but still fell down after 20 pages of fight (that might be decent for goblin, but not rly suits the description of FB)
P.S. The first FB i found was much tougher. Though it couldn't even leave scratch on any of mentioned higher 6 champions, the battle lasted for 20+ pages and eventually it made some destructions.

Is it me unlucky, or there is somewhere bug? I mean, FB must be really tough and hard to kill.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 10:55:20 am by Aravin »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Forgotten Beast-weakling
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 10:57:39 am »

Forgotten beasts are random.  Sometimes you get the nerve gas spewing flying vomit blob that destroys your fortress, and sometimes you get the tiny humanoid made of snow that gets accidentally killed by a puppy.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Aravin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 11:19:25 am »

Forgotten beasts are random.  Sometimes you get the nerve gas spewing flying vomit blob that destroys your fortress, and sometimes you get the tiny humanoid made of snow that gets accidentally killed by a puppy.

I wish i could get a pet-dragon..

Julius Clonkus

• Bay Watcher
  • [NIGHTMARE_FETISHIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 11:43:31 am »

Inorganics aren't that bad when they have vital bodyparts to lop off; It's the inorganic blobs because those can't die out by bleeding or forced removal of a vital bodypart.

At least that's what I think how it is, judging from all the reports on forgotten beasts
Holy schist, this thread is mica me sick.
DF Players never truly leave.  They just abandon the fortress for a few years and then reclaim.

godoftheds

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 11:43:51 am »

yeah my first FB was pretty much the same. killed by my mediocre squad without any trouble

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 06:00:51 pm »

A Dragon, Giant or Cyclops is not much anything compared to an area-dusting combat-invulnerable vomit blob.
In 40d just wrestlers were enough to kick Titans into submission.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884