Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Draining Aquifer into Magma Sea  (Read 729 times)

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Draining Aquifer into Magma Sea
« on: July 09, 2010, 07:52:46 am »

In my fortress, I've got access to an aquifer that doesn't have any natural flow.  About 15 to 20 z-levels down I've also got access to a magma tube that's connected to the magma sea.

What I'm thinking of doing is setting up a narrow channel to have the aquifer drain into a magma tube so that it has a flow. I know that I could set up a perpetual motion machine with the water, but I'm still wet behind the ears and want to do this as a training exercise for setting up waterwheels and a pumping system.

First question is how that constant flow of water would affect the magma tube/sea.

Second question is whether the Fun things that live in magma would be able to travel up waterfalls.

alxnotorious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Draining Aquifer into Magma Sea
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 08:05:04 am »

1) Well I remember a thread where some guy drained a river into his magma sea. The magma turned into obsidian, but the obsidian quickly sunk into the sea and remelted, so that may not be a problem.

2) I believe that, unless they have flight, nothing can travel upwards without stairs or ramps. Water "teleports" rather than flows occasionally,  so I don't think anything can travel up water.
WAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRBBBLLLGARRBBLE. THE KING OF HAND CREAMS HAS SENT YOU HERE, AND THE POD IS THE THRONE OF THE GOBLIN EMPEROR. DESTROY ALL UNBELIEVERS.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Draining Aquifer into Magma Sea
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 09:39:33 am »

1) Well I remember a thread where some guy drained a river into his magma sea. The magma turned into obsidian, but the obsidian quickly sunk into the sea and remelted, so that may not be a problem.

2) I believe that, unless they have flight, nothing can travel upwards without stairs or ramps. Water "teleports" rather than flows occasionally,  so I don't think anything can travel up water.
Addendum 1) Aside from FPS issues and "a cavern section has collapsed!" interruptions (switch them off in announcements.txt).

Addendum 2) Having said that, all "superfun" things beyond the magma sea can fly and swim through magma and water. But not the ordinary magma lifeforms so you're safe.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.