Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Browser-based text-based RPG: Domain of Heroes  (Read 7026 times)

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
Re: Browser-based text-based RPG: Domain of Heroes
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2010, 09:56:49 am »

This looks interesting... Dwarf chemist of the brotherhood.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Chutney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2010, 10:18:12 am »

Squirrel bard of the legion. Name's Chups.

Oh hey, that was you?  Good free VXP for us.
Until that level 16 showed up and trounced us, haha.

I don't think I'll be playing this game anymore. Combat was slow paced but bearable until I met a level 12 miniboss and spent half an hour trouncing on it, only to die when it had 50% or so HP. I was level 15 at the time, and could one shot a lot of enemies with normal attacks...

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2010, 11:00:16 am »

Made an Orc Pirate called Captain Loot. Also made a Human Dark Knight before that but I don't think that I'll be using him.

It seems interesting, though I'm slightly bothered that most character customization costs wishes. Though I suppose it could be worse.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2010, 03:01:41 pm »

Pay attention to the chat occasionally- some dude gave me a 111 damage weapon for free today.  I can kill monsters two levels above me in 1-2 shots now.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2010, 10:47:57 am »

With so many choices (30*27) as to original stats, I've just been playing around with the character generation, and worked out a number of racial/class combos.

An Amazon Half-Orc is the only character to have an RMS of the difference between racial and class stats below 2.  (i.e. best[1] fit, or some might say duplication, between intrinsic racial and intrinsic class-based skills.)  A Gladiator Sprite, on the other hand. :)

A Jack Half-Elf has the flattest combined stats (also comes out most 'even' by many other derivable measures, but compare with a Gladiator Giant (ditto, at the other extreme).

Aww, shucks, there's a million and one way to spin the stats.  I mean, consider a Dark Mage Merfolk character!

And for the pure, unadulterated MinMax/MaxMinners among you:

\    Worst                                Best                      
Power    Bullfrog/Phantasm Summoner/Wizard 6<<Dragon Gladiator         69
Mind     Giant Ranger/Hunter              5<<Phantasm Wizard          71
EnduranceBullfrog Sorcerer/Dark Mage      7<<Half-Giant Gladiator     65
Agility  Dragon Warrior/Gladiator          4<<Jaguar Ninja             64
Life     Jaguar Rogue                     11<<Giant Warrior            55
Luck     Demon Assassin                    6<<Bullfrog Bard*65

(* I was going to go with a Bullfrog Bard, actually, but now it's a proven MinMax, I'm shying away from it.)

But I won't have time to play, just now, so I'm going to take these figures away and work out what I truly want to do...

(Or I could... ummm, roll a dice.  I'm sure I've got a D20 around the house somewhere.  And, if not, that's what the rand() function is for.  This, and only this, exact situation, years in the making. :) )

[1] Well, by one measure.

(Anal, me?  Nawww.....)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2010, 12:43:55 pm »

You're neglecting skills, though.  Increased X stat skills give you a % bonus to your current value, which will make them far more useful than a better level modifier, especially since the current max level is 79.

If no one's starting a guild, we should all join the same existing one.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2010, 03:40:57 am »

You're neglecting skills, though.  Increased X stat skills give you a % bonus to your current value, which will make them far more useful than a better level modifier, especially since the current max level is 79.

If no one's starting a guild, we should all join the same existing one.

Well, I did analyse the available skills (as listed in the Codex) but couldn't enumerate them (or work out if they were active or passive skills), so left them out of the analysis.

For the record, a summary of what I understand about intrinsically increased/more effective stats is that the following get bonuses:
POW: Minotaur, Half-Giant, Tension, Jackal
MND: Necromancer, Human, Wizzard (regeneration, not total)
END: Half Giant, Dark Knight
AGI: Ninja, Hunter, Sprite, Scout, Elf, Rogue, Assassin, Goblin
LIF: Pirate, Half Elf, Paladin, Monk, Human, Cleric (restoration)
LUK: Gnome/Scout/Jack/Pirate (for magical finding only), Jack (also across the board), Pirate, Druid, Halfling

But I've been a bit inconsistent insofar as whether to count things that look like basic modifiers, but under another name.  i.e. anything that dealt with 'initiative', or 'ranged skill' increases (as in the Halfling's natural Adaptive skill) or XP gaining ones (which would certainly be useful), I've missed out and I'm not sure enough about the mechanics to decide whether something like Defence equates to Power or not.  Initiative looks to be separate.  When I start playing, though, I may know.

Although I did make a list of affliction immunities shared by both class and race, so one could at least avoid uselessly (I assume) doubling up.

e.g.: Gnomes, Half Elf, and Humans are Confusion-immune, so making an Illusionist or Jack of that class might be wasteful.  (Unless singly it confers a degree, and thus doubly a double-degree.)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2010, 08:15:39 am »

They're all passive skills.  The active ones are mostly attacks.  Initiative is separate, as well as I think damage/defense.

I'm not sure about afflict resist doubling, but I do know several of the afflictions are broken right now- check the forum for that.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2010, 09:43:23 am »

I'm not sure about afflict resist doubling, but I do know several of the afflictions are broken right now- check the forum for that.

What, people are actually playing a game that isn't finished yet!?!?!  Inconceivable!  It would lead to people using forums to suggesting things that they want added, complaining that combat doesn't work they way they think it ought to when it comes to certain weapons vs certain defenses, etc, etc.

:)
Pages: 1 2 [3]