Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Get all civ's inside!?  (Read 1306 times)

shibdib

• Bay Watcher
  • How much for Goat?
    • View Profile
Get all civ's inside!?
« on: July 09, 2010, 03:11:03 am »

My first Siegeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, so i need to find that auto get every civ inside asap button

I heard its supposed to be in the order menu but I dont see it.. I have an inside burrow made and am jus using that right now, but was wondering if their was an easier way?

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
Re: Get all civ's inside!?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 03:13:00 am »

Wasn't that order removed?
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

shibdib

• Bay Watcher
  • How much for Goat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 03:14:23 am »

:(

well that would make sense.. wiki is wrong like usual

Xenoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 04:12:23 am »

Designate the interior of your fort as a burrow, then assign all your dwarves to that burrow.

shibdib

• Bay Watcher
  • How much for Goat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 06:55:59 am »

Designate the interior of your fort as a burrow, then assign all your dwarves to that burrow.

thats what I ended up doing, was jus suprised a simple stay inside order disappeared

Snukkems

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 07:37:32 am »

:(

well that would make sense.. wiki is wrong like usual

It's not wrong, you're just looking at the wrong version.

Altaree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 08:17:57 am »

check this out... pay attention to the civilian stuff

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Alerts
Dan Pearson:
This is a game which calculates the volume of blood in every creature it generates so it knows how much alcohol it would have to consume to get drunk, an update which, remarkably, ended up covering people's fortresses in cat vomit.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 09:36:58 am »

thats what I ended up doing, was jus suprised a simple stay inside order disappeared
It had to disappear. What would you do when you get invaded from the caverns? Tell all dwarves to "stay inside"? They already are inside so that's meaningless. What would you do if you were sandwiched between a goblin siege and a forgotten beast intrusion? That's why the burrows system came to be, so you can tell your dwarves exactly where the safe zone is.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 09:40:03 am »

It had to disappear. What would you do when you get invaded from the caverns? Tell all dwarves to "stay inside"? They already are inside so that's meaningless. What would you do if you were sandwiched between a goblin siege and a forgotten beast intrusion? That's why the burrows system came to be, so you can tell your dwarves exactly where the safe zone is.

This. I've had a situation when a dragon appeared and I used the "everyone stay inside" command. Problem was that I was mining out some random gems on the map. When the call came the miners hid in the little holes they had just mined out and the dragon could have walked between the defenseless saps like between courses at a buffet ... he was satisfied with only one miner before heading towards the fortress though.
I have an art blog now.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2010, 11:30:16 am »

It's also nice for when you have a nice safe walled in area that you would like to see used during a siege, like for above ground farming.  Or for entirely above-ground fortresses.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 11:45:12 am by UmbrageOfSnow »

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2010, 11:35:07 am »

Set up a safe zone in your fortress. I usually make it my dining hall, so there is plenty of food/water/booze for the dwarves to wait it out. Create a burrow for this area. Call it "safe zone" or something like that.

If you need your civilians to flee to safety go into the military screen and in the alerts confine civilians to the safe zone. They will all run there and wait there until you give the all clear.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2010, 11:46:13 am »

But why not just make the burrow the majority of your fortress so they can keep working?

Burrows can span Z-levels.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2010, 11:53:22 am »

But why not just make the burrow the majority of your fortress so they can keep working?

Burrows can span Z-levels.

You can do that as well. You still may want a safe room, basically a bunker with food and drink with only a single narrow access path heavily guarded by numerous traps. That way if anything gets into your fortress you still have a fallback position.

Just depends on how severe the threat is.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2010, 12:22:31 pm »

Call me crazy but I don't ever find long corridors full of traps very engaging or fun ... enemy comes, enemy dies. Predictable as clockwork.

I prefer giving the enemies a fighting chance and risking much drama on the part of my dwarves.
I have an art blog now.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2010, 12:37:39 pm »

basically a bunker with food and drink with only a single narrow access path heavily guarded by numerous traps. T

You mean like some sort of Dwarf... Fortress?

If you can guard a safe room, you can guard a whole fort.  All-or-nothing is the way to do defense.
Pages: [1] 2