Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Get all civ's inside!?  (Read 1296 times)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Get all civ's inside!?
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2010, 12:51:15 pm »

A fortress within a fortress within a fortress is far more defensible. Including even isolated, completely sealed bunkers for a backup plan to ensure the fortress never falls.  :D

shibdib

• Bay Watcher
  • How much for Goat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2010, 03:28:10 pm »

Call me crazy but I don't ever find long corridors full of traps very engaging or fun ... enemy comes, enemy dies. Predictable as clockwork.

I prefer giving the enemies a fighting chance and risking much drama on the part of my dwarves.

I'm with you, I have a few traps so I can even out the odd's a bit (seeing how my archer towers r useless), but besides that I usually atleast attempt to fight them. Have two bridges so i leave the back one up with the squads outside.

Annoying how their ranged units work fine tho...
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 03:59:10 pm by shibdib »

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2010, 03:43:13 pm »

You can disable crossbows for goblins in the entities file in the raws, or just wait until they're fixed in 31.09.

shibdib

• Bay Watcher
  • How much for Goat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2010, 04:00:27 pm »

You can disable crossbows for goblins in the entities file in the raws, or just wait until they're fixed in 31.09.

Jus did this gonna give it a try... atleast now my guys wont have 400 arrows in them by the time they get in range

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2010, 05:15:51 pm »

Removing crossbows will require a regen. The other option is to just nerf arrows in the raws so that arrows are harmless.

IronValley

• Bay Watcher
  • Purple Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2010, 05:36:42 pm »

Traps are good for one thing: detecting ambushes!

The main hallway always remains open, unless I prepare for something dramatic..... If the dwarves can't defend themselves, they don't deserve to live...

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2010, 05:39:26 pm »

Wasn't that order removed?

:(

well that would make sense.. wiki is wrong like usual

Where exactly did you get the wrong information, if you point it out then someone (perhaps you) can fix it.  That's how wiki's work.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2010, 05:58:12 pm »

Call me crazy but I don't ever find long corridors full of traps very engaging or fun ... enemy comes, enemy dies. Predictable as clockwork.
I prefer giving the enemies a fighting chance and risking much drama on the part of my dwarves.

You should try some modding, like having six goblin castes and some of them are clever like crows and have TrapAvoid. And the stupider castes being stronger. Genesis mod has fire-breathing orc shamans, all our outdoors burns and burns...
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

marcusbjol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2010, 09:23:28 pm »

You should try some modding, like having six goblin castes and some of them are clever like crows and have TrapAvoid. And the stupider castes being stronger. Genesis mod has fire-breathing orc shamans, all our outdoors burns and burns...

And the fires might be by your own obsidian dwarves [player dwarves have casts as well] throwing a fireball around.

Coaldiamond

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2010, 09:55:46 pm »

ANSWERS!!

Ok, so I saw a few partial answers to the question, but nothing a cool as a bulleted list to help out the OP, so lets give it a shot:

1) Locate a safe place for civilians. (For instance, I put my food stockpiles and dinning tables in a safe, easy to isolate place so that they can serve as bunkers.)
2) Designate a burrow in that safe place (I called my burrow "Dining Hall")
3) Open your Military screen, go to the Alerts Tab
4) Make a new Alert (I called mine "Bunker Down") and assigned the "Dining Hall" as the only burrow allowed for "Bunker Down"
5) Once you finish making the alert, select "Bunker Down" and hit ENTER. The little green [Civ] tag should now be on "Bunker Down"
6) All civilians should realize that they are on "Bunker Down" alert and move to the only permitted burrow, the "Dining Hall"

It worked correctly for me back in v0.31.06, and worked way better than the old "stay indoors" order.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 01:43:04 am by Coaldiamond »

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2010, 10:10:08 pm »

Although, once again, why let them into the fortress in the first place?  I think having a burrow that is the entire fortress, with or without the bunker is definitely worthwhile.  If you want to keep your plant gatherers and woodcutters indoors during a siege, but your primary defenses are not breached, it is nice to have an option that doesn't shut down your internal workshops and whatnot.
Pages: 1 [2]