Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ice is wonky  (Read 2101 times)

gopa4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ice is wonky
« on: July 09, 2010, 02:20:09 am »

So my current fort (the one featuring my earlier sam story). I have been forced to seal up my castle because 3 full squads of goblins show up all ridding bats. I'm forced to tap into my moat to gain access to water for my injured, all is going well and I'm training a force to reclaim the surface when all of a sudden the winter freeze sets in. I then notice that I have water, thats underground surrounded by ice, and where the well was lies a solid chunk of ice.
xxx
xox
xxx
 x
 x
 x
 o
x=water

o=ice. Who knew that ice could exhist and not freeze the water connected to it.

Snukkems

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ice is wonky
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 02:31:02 am »

If the water is indoors, it won't freeze.

Although, I did have a map where the water froze down the channel, and one tile underground but I figured that was more of a minor glitch of sorts, it didn't happen in any other seasons.

gopa4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 02:38:49 am »

I figured as much but it was still kinda silly watching everything else freeze but one little patch of water, that had a little spot in the middle that was frozen. Luckily I was able to divert some of it further underground and built a secondary well so that they don't die.

On a side note, do seriously injured dwarves retain the memory of their last attacker because I have a farmer and several military dwarves spamming me with rest canelation about goblins even though they've been killed already. On another note, it seems that even though the hospital is amazing and has improved my recovery rate by about 60% its not perfect, I want my doctors to be able to force their patients into resting, perhaps in future updates small amount of poison could be used to knock patients unconcios (sp?) or perhaps a mallet to bash them over the head.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 03:01:40 am »

I've noticed some slight announcement lag--if you look at all the announcements, things are in the right order, but if a lot of things happen simultaneously, the announcements will keep coming for a while.

For dwarves that won't rest:  Try turning off all their labors and restricting them to the hospital burrow.  Maybe give them a 1-square burrow that only includes their bed.
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 05:35:39 am »

A mallet to bash over a patient's head is very dwarfy, and generally agreeable by most people. Dwarves have thick skulls so they shouldn't get too hurt.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 11:18:23 am »

As far as announcement, tap 'a' to look at the announcement screen, then tap it again to go back to your standard view. Future announcements should be up to date.

As far as Dwaven Nonlethal Subdual, we need morphine. Or for our underground dwarves, some kind of wildly hallucinogenic mushroom. Proper doses results in comatose dwarves. Improper dose means tantrums, temporary insanity, or even death. Also opens up new medical skill: Anesthesiologist!

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 08:43:38 pm »

Anesthesiologist? Don't you mean "Hammerdwarf"?

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 09:42:45 pm »

Sigged.

I think Anesthesiology would be awesome.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 10:30:49 pm »

Sigged.

I think Anesthesiology would be awesome.

First sig :D

A real dwarf gets surgery while he's wide awake. No pain no gain, right? After all, it takes a lot of pain to be the dwarf to dig through or place that last wall.

gopa4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2010, 11:19:42 pm »

As far as announcement, tap 'a' to look at the announcement screen, then tap it again to go back to your standard view. Future announcements should be up to date.

As far as Dwaven Nonlethal Subdual, we need morphine. Or for our underground dwarves, some kind of wildly hallucinogenic mushroom. Proper doses results in comatose dwarves. Improper dose means tantrums, temporary insanity, or even death. Also opens up new medical skill: Anesthesiologist!
I did that but even after the log was reset one farmer kept spamming it, while unconscious. He only stopped after I dropped a few tons of earth on his head. But up until then for months he kept spamming about goblin axemen even though they were all caged, I checked. I also have three injured military dwarves will not die even after a year of no food and water. I've even locked them in their room but still they sit their "stationing" or "individual training". Back on the topic of mallets, I think it should be implemented and even have a skill attached, say a inexperienced dwarf des it, it may take a few waks, or he may over do it and brain him, but with experience he becomes less likely to kill.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2010, 12:02:40 am »

But up until then for months he kept spamming about goblin axemen even though they were all caged, I checked.

He's clearly insane. Perhaps the anesthesiologist can help your problems?
Improper dose means tantrums, temporary insanity, or even death.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2010, 12:22:09 am »

The "anesthesiologist" can also help the goblins with their problems too. They live a horrible life, and the "anesthesiologist" helps them with it.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2010, 12:34:20 am »

No, no, silly. That's the economy's job. it gives an illusion of meaning to their utterly pointless servile existence.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2010, 02:22:24 am »

Ice is goddamn awesome. With the right mix of a cold area, a mold, a lot of pumps, and opening the caverns up to the surface of the world, you can create some pretty damn amazing ice sculptures. Or, if you use a lot of TEMP:OFF, the possibilities triple.

Fenwah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2010, 02:54:19 am »

I have the same announcement lag on a dwarf who had both her arms cut off, one eye removed and a broken foot in a fight with some goblins. She has been in the hospital for years now unconcious, and the doctors refuse to treat her (maybe because she is still a soldier?). If i deconstruct her hospital bed she spams rest being cancelled by goblin pikeman. I like to think of it as horrific flashbacks taunting her waking moments. To make it even sadder, she has 4 children who gather around her in the hospital all the time. I think maybe I'll have to give her a dwarven funeral by relocating my hospital to the magma tanks
Pages: [1] 2