Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Make Skull Totem's More Awesome?  (Read 1732 times)

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Make Skull Totem's More Awesome?
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2010, 12:05:32 pm »

A large part of the issues with morality is that right now it's black and white. Dwarves won't[/b] make humanoid trophies, or they will make humanoid trophies. However, if you were in the middle of a vicious war with the goblins, wouldn't it be a clever little bit of psychological warfare to display the heads of the last army on pikes for the incoming army. Similarly, if the goblins were plaguing the trade routes, wouldn't the traders be a little bit relieved to know that the fortress they're approaching has been able to handle the goblins.

And of course, the gigantic skull of a forgotten beast would be intimidating period. If a 50 foot tall beast of amber couldn't break the fort, what chance do 25 greenskins with copper short swords have?
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

WormSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WormSlayer.com
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2010, 06:10:10 pm »

Sorry, I started this thread then got sidetracked with a spot of modding and now you guys have eloquently expressed just about every idea I had regarding totems :D

Grimshot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2010, 06:57:32 pm »

I'm hoping that totems will be used in magic somehow when it gets added in. Other then that I pretty much support all the ideas here, theres a lot you can do with totems. Hmm... What I would like to see is something along the lines of:

This is a superior crafted Cyclops Totem. The skull is white with a massive fracture. The skull is encrusted with emeralds, the teeth are gold. On the skull is a exeptional image of Urist Mcskullcrusher the Dwarf and Earlygrave the Fleeting Fury the Cyclops in obsidian, Urist Mcskullcrusher is laughing, Earlygrave the Fleeting Fury is in the fetal position. This image relates to the death of Earlygrave the Fleeting Fury in Tunnelgears in 1001 by Urist Mcskullcrusher. The central eye socket is filled with a finely crafted Diamond, on the Diamond is a Masterful engraving of Cheese, the symbol of The Rusty Gears, a Dwarven civilization.
My personality profile.
Pages: 1 [2]