YEAH.
- 44 (7.7%)
NO!
- 449 (78.2%)
What is Dwarf Fortress?
- 81 (14.1%)

Total Members Voted: 573

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: "Dwarf Fortress is lame."  (Read 15317 times)

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "Dwarf Fortress is lame."
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2010, 12:09:02 am »

I love how people get all prissy and elitist over this. I've played DF for a while and I loved it. The past tense is critical there. You guys keep jerking yourselves off by going on about how if you don't love this game then you have a lesser intelligence, which is kind of hilarious.

Yeah, I've found myself playing it less and less recently...
Oops. I said nothing.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2010, 12:20:44 am »

Well, freeware I'm not sure about. There are some out there though. I know some people have made a calculator in the Powder Toy (not to be confused with the powder game). The website is down but you can find a download somewhere.

Cardinal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2010, 12:29:29 am »

I love how people get all prissy and elitist over this. I've played DF for a while and I loved it. The past tense is critical there. You guys keep jerking yourselves off by going on about how if you don't love this game then you have a lesser intelligence, which is kind of hilarious.

I agree, but I also think getting prissy and elitist over how people are getting prissy and elitist is, well...
Engraved is an image of a Human and a video game. The Human is making a plaintive gesture.

Krumbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2010, 05:31:24 pm »

Who the hell voted yes?

Probably idiots who think it's cool to go against the actual answer.
Only in Dwarf Fortress could you get 4 armed heads scuttling about on cavern roofs.

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2010, 05:41:43 pm »

Ok, so, I'm a little bit confused. Is there seriously drama going on here? It feels like there is, but then the next post will be totally not-drama and will be someone saying "The only reason they chose yes is because (X)".

It's like, "What? Are people schisming here? Seriously?"
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

Desdichado

• Bay Watcher
  • The Anti-Zealot Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2010, 07:29:39 pm »

Let's be honest with ourselves. DF is a bit lame at this stage in development. ASCII characters. Impenetrable interface design. Bad pathfinding. Bad AI. Unfinished features.

It is, however, a refreshing break from slick mass-marketed products sometimes, and there's always comfort in the knowledge that DF does improve at a glacial pace. To paraphrase the motto, "Lame is fun!"

It's like, "What? Are people schisming here? Seriously?"

Schism? I wasn't aware of an orthodoxy.
"I have a puppy instead", which while maintaining a polite tone, is quiet, calculating character assassination against Toady. Do some of you not see it as such, backstabbing?

At least spell my name right.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2010, 08:03:40 pm »

You forgot the potentially endlessly entertaining bugs/"features."

Like magma pistons.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2010, 09:14:52 pm »

I thought you could use schism for any division in a group. Is that wrong? How is it supposed to be used, then?
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

Desdichado

• Bay Watcher
  • The Anti-Zealot Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2010, 11:28:31 pm »

I thought you could use schism for any division in a group. Is that wrong? How is it supposed to be used, then?
That word heavily connotes a fracture in a religious group, a division between two well-defined competing dogmata, usually with catastrophic far-ranging effects, heretic-burning, etc., like the Great Schism or Luther's 95 Theses. So, obviously "schism" would be quite a strong word for some people acknowledging that DF still has many rough edges.

"I have a puppy instead", which while maintaining a polite tone, is quiet, calculating character assassination against Toady. Do some of you not see it as such, backstabbing?

At least spell my name right.

Urist McCyrilin

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh, the dwarfity!
    • View Profile
    • CyCom! Writing&PnP!
« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2010, 11:46:50 pm »

That word heavily connotes a fracture in a religious group, a division between two well-defined competing dogmata, usually with catastrophic far-ranging effects, heretic-burning, etc., like the Great Schism or Luther's 95 Theses. So, obviously "schism" would be quite a strong word for some people acknowledging that DF still has many rough edges.

Perhaps we should burn them as heretics. I'm just saying.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2010, 12:39:12 am »

Obviously, those who voted yes are hipsters trying to vote with irony.  8)
This is but a small piece of their pre-DF personality that was not annihilated upon their understanding of Dwarf Fortress.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Mipe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2010, 12:49:59 am »

Lame Dwarf Fortress > Awesome [insert any mainstream game here]

Also, never, never NEVER EVER ask a teenager for opinion.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2010, 12:51:57 am »

Why, may I ask?
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2010, 01:04:37 am »

Why not? There are at least three teenagers in this thread.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2010, 01:15:21 am »

Why not? There are at least three teenagers in this thread.
-raises hand-

Why wouldn't you ask me an opinion?  :-\
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10