Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: So my Outpost Liason really hates kobolds  (Read 2018 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
So my Outpost Liason really hates kobolds
« on: July 08, 2010, 07:46:10 pm »

My latest embark ended up on a cave full of kobolds. And when I say full, I mean there is 82 of the cute little buggers, all of them friendly. So, I decided to incorporate their cave into the entry hall of my fortress.

Thing is, when the dwarven liason showed up she killed the thief trying to steal my shiny glass goblets, and then she proceeded to slaughter her way through the entire Kobold village. My fortress has been anointed in the blood of my friendly natives. Considering the fact that this caravan has the food to get me through the winter, this may be the first Dwarf Thanksgiving!

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
Re: So my Outpost Liason really hates kobolds
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 07:48:50 pm »

Kobold bone crossbows for everyone!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 07:51:55 pm »

A new artifact! Flutedark a copper bed! It is encrusted with granite and bears an image of a cave fish in copper!

This map is going great. The abundance of stolen resources and early Cavern access has given me a mood before the first trade!

...and oh crap. Just realized my broker has no ranks in appraise.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 07:53:36 pm »

I can't help but feel bad about the kobolds.

(Oh shit, a DF player with an intact soul.)
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Julius Clonkus

• Bay Watcher
  • [NIGHTMARE_FETISHIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 08:05:04 pm »

I can't help but feel bad about the kobolds.

(Oh shit, a DF player with an intact soul.)
If you view kobolds as they are described ingame, I'm sure they can do the "puppy eyes" which make you go d'awww. Or scar your mind for eternity because their eyes glow and stare into your immortal souuuul...

It should be noted, though, that these kobolds were way too busy to run away screaming to try pulling that trick on monk12's outpost liaison.
Holy schist, this thread is mica me sick.
DF Players never truly leave.  They just abandon the fortress for a few years and then reclaim.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 08:14:58 pm »

Death toll now lies at 24 kobolds. One of the Kobold swordsmen gave a good showing in the dormitory. This may be because, for whatever reason, the Outpost Liason was simultaneously meeting with my expedition leader. If the Liason respects the locked doors, then the only ones still at risk are those who are huddling on top of the mountain.

I was kinda hoping the kobolds would end up being an early warning system, but that plan is not looking good unless there is some way to induce kobolds to move involuntarily. I'd feel worse for the kobolds if one hadn't shanked my legendary weaponsmith a few forts back. Life's tough, magma's hot, and kobolds have plenty of experience with both these things.

EDIT: The kobold swordsman was just finished when he was shoved through the locked door by the Liason. I'm fairly certain that the kobold didn't just path through the door and the liason followed because the door was well and truly shut before the Liason returned to his meeting. On the plus side, he did choose to return to the meeting instead of skewering the 2-year-old on the other side of the door. Now I've learned something new!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 08:19:13 pm by monk12 »

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 08:42:20 pm »

Yeah, looks like Liason's don't respect locked doors. After plowing his way through 28 Kobolds, Monom Laboredpillars the Grizzly Lute met his end as he left the confined twists of the cave and entered the cavern layer proper, where he was overwhelmed by about 30 kobolds who finally got him down due to overexertion. Several kobolds are suffering from mangled limbs.

I hope this event shows up in my engravings.

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 09:12:48 pm »

i do believe no liason = no baron
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 09:23:01 pm »

In 40d, yeah. In 31.x the liason will actually be replaced, which is handy when they follow your leader-miner into a cavein.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 09:51:50 pm »

Yeah, looks like Liason's don't respect locked doors. After plowing his way through 28 Kobolds, Monom Laboredpillars the Grizzly Lute met his end as he left the confined twists of the cave and entered the cavern layer proper, where he was overwhelmed by about 30 kobolds who finally got him down due to overexertion. Several kobolds are suffering from mangled limbs.

I hope this event shows up in my engravings.

This is an engraving of a dwarf and many kobolds. The dwarf is laughing. The kobolds are attempting to beat him to death with their own severed limbs.
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2010, 03:08:18 am »

Friendlies are a bit wonky.

I fought a bunch of antmen once, they started by gaining the upper hand due to their damn poison darts. but once the darts ran out they slaughtered like ... ants. Thing is. They had 3 queens.

When 2 queens were dead, all the subjects were dead and the only queen left had broken two legs the dwarves just decided to say "alright. we're even" and she showed up in the unit list as friendly... in retrospect I shouldn't have abandoned. Would be interesting to see what'd happen in the future.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2010, 06:50:47 am »

Jesus Christ, that's fucking ruthless. Can you imagine everything around you being cut down, only to be left alive, crippled, because the dwarves decide they're cool with you now? The years of futile antman rage from the ostensibly now-friendly queen would wear me down.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2010, 07:28:42 am »

In 40d, yeah. In 31.x the liason will actually be replaced, which is handy when they follow your leader-miner into a cavein.

Are you sure about that? Others have observed that liaisons and such aren't actually being replaced correctly in 0.31...
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 07:30:40 am by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2010, 11:08:37 am »

I myself have failed to see replacement liason's. In fact, I uploaded that very bug report!

I'm contemplating abandoning. One the one hand, rarely has a fort of mine had such an interesting history at the very beginning, not to mention the fact that I'm swimming in free crafts and cave spider silk loincloths. On the other hand, I was hoping this would be the second fort of mine to actually get a baron.

Say... if the liason is dead, is he dead for all forts to come, or just mine? I think I will abandon... FOR SCIENCE!

sloshmonger

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2010, 01:12:20 pm »

I have the habit of sacrificing my Liasons to Goblins in the second or third year and then having the fort live on long past that in 31.x, and have not yet seen a replacement Liason.  However, liasons are created anew for a reclaimed fort, so there's something that's working right some of the time.
Pages: [1] 2