Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: More PewPew, Less QQ: Gratuitous Space Battles  (Read 11329 times)

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
Re: More PewPew, Less QQ: Gratuitous Space Battles
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2010, 11:06:09 am »

ive necroed this thread because theres a new campaign DLC

http://www.positech.co.uk/gratuitousspacebattles/galacticconquest.html

its still in beta, (its crashed on me once so far in 3 hours of play, so its not currently totally stable)

it moves GSB a little closer to a 4x style game

its good, load more diverse battles
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2010, 12:27:28 pm »

That sounds interesting.
It was kind of bitter, that I didn't play that game much, after I got it.

What annoys me is that I will have to pay for it again.

And did they change anything about the horribly tiresome deployment?

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2010, 12:34:03 pm »

no major deployment changes that ive noticed. However you can use the same deployment automatically from one battle to the next.

the DLC costs £5, original game is about £15 i think, or £20 with the extra races.
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2010, 02:23:06 pm »

How small do you start out? With just 2-3 ships?
What about the equipment? Is it all unlocked? Or can you earn the points needed for unlocking, through playing this new mode?
And how much can you do with the planets you conquer? How much is the construction part of this mode?

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2010, 04:27:18 pm »

I've been looking forward to the campaign but I haven't played this in a long time on account of a... bug.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2010, 06:07:02 pm »

you start out with one planet.

The campaign map is always the same (bit dissapointed in this, i dont think it would have been that hard to randomly gen one since its just aload of planet icons connected by worm holes.)

You still need to unlock stuff by winning battles in regular GSB

You cant do anything interms of management of planets you conquer. Planets come with facilities that produce 4 things (i think its just 4), factories = finacial income, acadamies = crew income, repair facilities = repair (at a cost, you pay per ship), ship yards = construction. Most planets have one or two of these facilities.

the enemy ai isnt strictly playing the game you are. As far as i can tell at the start the game assigns all the planets to differing empires. WHen you attack a system, the game looks at the value of your fleet + possibly the whole strength of your empire, then downloads a fleet offline (either designed by cliffski or a random player of the game) and fights you with it. Once this fleet is downloaded it stays in the game until destroyed. Every now and again they attack you, either downloading a new fleet or moving an existing one.

Planets can rebel if you dont maintain a fleet there.

my personal opinion: if youve got GSB get this expansion, if you wanted GSB and never got round to getting it, get it and get this expansion. if you played the GSB demo and didnt like it much, dont bother with this, its not going to sway you. This expansion brings some longer term goals and narrative to your battles, but the campaign map itself wouldnt stand up as a game, and doesnt bring much tactical diversity. Partly because until you invade a system, you have no idea who owns it, what fleets there etc, so theres alot of trial and error. My game strategy will probs improve tho, might start designing scout ships.

Also, its hard. Ive been playing on medium, two campaigns, im getting hammered in both, some people are much better at designing fleets than me, and to progress, you've got to win your battles with very minimal losses, as the ai will counter attack (it isnt resources restricted because it isnt playing the game as you are). Also the game autosaves, so you cant save scum.

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2010, 07:34:32 am »

Reviving this thread to say this:

To anyone planning on purchasing the Nomads DLC/expansion, the official site sells Nomads at 2 prices: $2.99 and $5.99. It's effectively a "choose your own price" type thing, but with only 2 options.

Interesting to note: Approximately 1.6 times as many people have paid $5.99 as have paid $2.99. Of course, this only counts people who paid through the official site (...I think) and not other places (such as Steam). But the DLC from the site does work with games obtained through other places (such as Steam)!
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 24, 2010, 07:45:00 am »

Has Cliff fixed the problem where you can't do challenges you should be able to? :I
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 24, 2010, 08:32:09 am »

I wonder when galactic conquest will come to steam.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2011, 12:25:07 am »

It is here!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/41806/

Looks fun, anyone tried it?
I got nothing

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2011, 02:08:25 am »

Nope, have the game with all of the DLC, but I'm sure I still won't play it, should I get GC.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2011, 07:39:30 am »

Either the campaign is ridiculously hard or I'm shit at this game.

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2011, 01:25:16 pm »

its hard

after switching it down to easiest, and doing a lot of ship redesign, ive achieved conquering about a quarter the map. I could have gone further, but it was getting abit grindy, two steps backward for every 3 forward.

tips

the best unit in the game is fighter squads, with just a basic laser and possibly engine mk2, no amour. Capital ships cant hit em, wait long enough and they can sometimes take an entire fleet.

send out scouts. Build several fleets consisting of a single fighter, send them to attack new systems. Once a fleet is created to defend that system, its in the game until destroyed. Theres no sense in jumping in blind.

the most cheap effective cruisers imo, and those with heavy armour and repair systems, and loads of either fast missiles, or bullet/nonbeam lasers. Beams and plasma are uber powerful but cost alot in crew, power and price. Only use em if you can keep them alive.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2011, 06:12:48 pm »

I myself am a fan of high movespeed and rockin' out with Cruiser Lasers.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2011, 10:03:47 am »

Is it even worth slapping some fighter bays on ships so the fighters can repair?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5