Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Dragon Age 2  (Read 12104 times)

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Age 2
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2010, 06:42:51 pm »

DA:O is no different than NWN2 in that respect.
I have NWN2 right here, but havent played it yet... but I'm pretty sure you cannot set up rules for your party members AI.

Or can you?

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2010, 07:52:16 pm »

The game taking place over a ten year period seems kinda odd and stupid to me. Anybody else?

Maybe, maybe not. I imagine there will be some sort of "build a castle and make it your own kind of thing" and your appearance will change with the years. I appreciate when games actually keep track of time in some sense; many RPGs you have epic adventurers that nicely wrap up in a year's time. A sense of history and time isn't bad as long as it's done right. I thought the Dark Spawn slowly taking over the country side in DA was a nice touch that made me think more about my decisions.

I played a Dwarf Noble and thought that the intro was very, very good.  I heard good things about the City Elf start too, but my second character Dalish Elf was just not up to the same quality level that the Dwarf Noble was.

Dwarves reputedly have the best intro. The human one is GOD AWFULLY BORING AND STEREOTYPICAL.

You are the son of a noble. There is a Grey Warden in your castle, and he's "interested in you."
The Dark Spawn invade and keel your family.
You run around Ostegar doing tutorial shit.
You meet the mysterious Grey Warden again, who tells you you're now a mysterious Grey Warden!

I can't count how many fantasy games/novels have used that premise. I was so pissed by the time I became a Grey Warden, the whole human intro just a cliche'd mess.
Wait, that's not what happened in the Human noble origin...
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2010, 08:10:29 pm »

I have NWN2 right here, but havent played it yet... but I'm pretty sure you cannot set up rules for your party members AI.

Or can you?

You can. It's less effective than DA's by a long shot though. Either way, I mostly played both games managing everyone through pausing.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 08:13:50 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2010, 02:12:35 am »

I played a Dwarf Noble and thought that the intro was very, very good.  I heard good things about the City Elf start too, but my second character Dalish Elf was just not up to the same quality level that the Dwarf Noble was.

Dwarves reputedly have the best intro. The human one is GOD AWFULLY BORING AND STEREOTYPICAL.

You are the son of a noble. There is a Grey Warden in your castle, and he's "interested in you."
The Dark Spawn invade and keel your family.
You run around Ostegar doing tutorial shit.
You meet the mysterious Grey Warden again, who tells you you're now a mysterious Grey Warden!

I can't count how many fantasy games/novels have used that premise. I was so pissed by the time I became a Grey Warden, the whole human intro just a cliche'd mess.
Mages have the best intro, and all the others are more or less equally unimpressive. Especially the dwarves.

Also, that's not how the human noble intro goes. In fact, almost every part of that is wrong. You are a noble. The grey warden, who's wandering around everywhere for some never-explained reason is only interested in recruiting you to the point of "oh, you have some basic level of competence? We do need people smart enough not to stab themselves trying to hold a sword...", but he's more interested in that other kid, since it wouldn't be very political to draft the scion of a noble house. The castle is invaded, but by traitors, not darkspawn, and then you're recruited. By Ostagar, the tutorial is more or less over, and you run around for an hour for the sake of backstory.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

subject name here

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2010, 04:37:47 am »

i really dislike alistair and enjoyed
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
more then anything else in the entire game and i also got a
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
to boot so there's really no reason not to do it unless you want to see every single ending in the game and haven't heard of youtube.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2010, 09:28:52 am »

The game taking place over a ten year period seems kinda odd and stupid to me. Anybody else?

That's about the only thing so far that's sounded interesting about it.  Of course that's ignoring the fact that what will probably happen is that they'll have a bunch of action and killing, then a pause and a timeskip, then more slaughter, then another time skip, etc...  Assuming of course that they don't just skip ahead ten years in one go.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2010, 09:33:30 am »

That's about the only thing so far that's sounded interesting about it.  Of course that's ignoring the fact that what will probably happen is that they'll have a bunch of action and killing, then a pause and a timeskip, then more slaughter, then another time skip, etc...  Assuming of course that they don't just skip ahead ten years in one go.

That's what I meant.

I think the dwarf noble origins was one of the best. You're running around with you man-servant, kicking ass and pissing off your older brother, reaching the top of the world by getting that shield. Then it turns out that your helpful younger brother was worst than your older, and then you have to fight for your life to reach the grey wardens. Amazing.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 09:58:05 am by USEC_OFFICER »

Chutney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2010, 09:46:30 am »

no, the game is actually going to take 87600 hours to play through the storyline. this is not including side quests, playing bargames, and exploring.

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2010, 09:57:53 am »

no, the game is actually going to take 87600 hours to play through the storyline.
I commend any game that can keep people entertained for 87,600 hours. And if it can't keep a person entertained for that length of time, then what's the point in making it take that long?
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2010, 10:26:46 am »

no, the game is actually going to take 87600 hours to play through the storyline. this is not including side quests, playing bargames, and exploring.

Wow, you're really jumping to the shaky defense of EAioware aren't you?

Chutney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2010, 10:38:36 am »

Yes, I clearly am. Sorry if a little opposition bothers ya  8)

Pathos

« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2010, 12:52:55 pm »

I have to say, though, I'm proud of Bioware for breaking their "TRAGIC REFUGEE JOINS SECRET ORGANISATION AND DOES MORAL CHOICES" plotline. It was getting dull.

NINJA EDIT: Wait, no, actually, that might still be there. I'm getting ahead of myself.

DOUBLE NINJA EDIT: Yeah. It's still there, isn't it? I can see it, now, you join the Champions of Kirkland or whatever and become a hero after escaping your past but it's YOUR CHOICE how the Champion of Kirkland is seen, which boils down to murdering kittens or being holier than thou. Great.

HideousBeing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2010, 01:21:26 pm »

I have to say, though, I'm proud of Bioware for breaking their "TRAGIC REFUGEE JOINS SECRET ORGANISATION AND DOES MORAL CHOICES" plotline. It was getting dull.

NINJA EDIT: Wait, no, actually, that might still be there. I'm getting ahead of myself.

DOUBLE NINJA EDIT: Yeah. It's still there, isn't it? I can see it, now, you join the Champions of Kirkland or whatever and become a hero after escaping your past but it's YOUR CHOICE how the Champion of Kirkland is seen, which boils down to murdering kittens or being holier than thou. Great.

And either way you save the world all the same.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2010, 01:37:50 pm »

Yes, I clearly am. Sorry if a little opposition bothers ya  8)

It's not as much the opposition as it is the lack of rationality behind it.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2010, 02:28:28 pm »

Traitors, darkspawn, whatever, they're dark spawn the minute you step out of the castle. The intro was horrible. Lighting the watchtower fire was part of the tutorial.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6