Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Dragon Age 2  (Read 12108 times)

Pathos

Dragon Age 2
« on: July 08, 2010, 05:17:24 pm »

Source

First thought: A sequel? ALREADY?!

Second: Eh, the features list is a bit sparse, but sounds interesting. I can imagine the "world shaping around you" is just a few good, neutral or evil decisions, though. Nothing really morally grey. I mean, one of the "moral" decisions in the first Dragon Age is whether to give a prisoner food or... Kill him. Wow, really?

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Age 2
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 05:25:06 pm »

Kill him! Kill him!

I had the first game. Moral choices? Like siding with the werewolves or elves? Or letting the racist alienage guy go free for the landsmeet? I wish my choices had more effect on the game though. Looking forward to the second one.

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 05:32:15 pm »

Either way, whether you side with the elves or the werewolves, you don't get to *have* werewolves join your army. Thats all I bloody wanted. Unless I did something wrong, I only played the game once, and even then I could only stand half of it.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 05:33:40 pm »

Eh, I hope the combat is improved.  Was a bore-fest between stories for me.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 05:44:54 pm »

The first game was chock full of generic fantasy tropes and only worth playing for the hilariously shitty writing. Also, huge portions of the "game" you needed to buy DLC for.

I hope bioware quits being a vortex of suck in their current direction of dumbing all of their games down into the interactive rpg equivilants of Twilight.

Pathos

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 05:57:14 pm »

Kill him! Kill him!

I had the first game. Moral choices? Like siding with the werewolves or elves? Or letting the racist alienage guy go free for the landsmeet? I wish my choices had more effect on the game though. Looking forward to the second one.

Moral choices? There were two "evil choices" and one "good choice". There was no ethical troubles with it. You could either rile up the werewolves to slaughter the elves (causing them to be stuck as werewolves and getting you werewolves in the final battle, this was an "evil choice"), slaughter the werewolves and the Lady in the Forest (which gets you the elves and is another "evil choice") or free the werewolves from the curse by convincing / killing the shaman that did it to them to go back on it (which is the "good choice" and gets you the elves).

Now, a good "grey morality" quest would be that a prostitute has murdered her abusive pimp in cold blood. You can let her go or put her into jail. (Or kill her or pimp her out or whatever.) On one end of the scale is chaotic good whilst the other is lawful neutral. If you let her go, though, others will be thinking you'll let them off the hook if they have a good enough excuse, and will naturally murder people after (basically) losing faith in the law.

Do you see the difference? In the werewolf versus elf quest, there's a fairly obvious "good character" path. In the Cold Blooded Hooker quest, it's law versus emotional judgement. Superman would let her go, Batman would put her in jail.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 06:10:35 pm »

I know what you are saying, and I agree with you. Needed more grey areas. (They are grey wardens.) The alienage guy trapped in the dungeon was as grey as it got.

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 09:02:32 pm »

Seems like all of bioware's games are like that: You are either a bloodthirsty yet very petty bastard who eats babies and shakes people down for a few coins or you are a self sacrificing saint

Well Fable is like this also I guess

So I agree, needs more grey
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

Captain Hat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 11:12:22 pm »

Oh EA, you and your sequel churning out ways.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 11:38:28 pm »

So yeah, main character probably Morrigan's demon baby.

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2010, 12:38:05 am »

Dragon Age was a good game all around.

Very nicely made.. bad camera angles for xbox 360 though.

I hope they fix that -_-
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2010, 08:36:31 am »

Either way, whether you side with the elves or the werewolves, you don't get to *have* werewolves join your army. Thats all I bloody wanted. Unless I did something wrong, I only played the game once, and even then I could only stand half of it.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2010, 11:26:56 am »

Source

First thought: A sequel? ALREADY?!

Second: Eh, the features list is a bit sparse, but sounds interesting. I can imagine the "world shaping around you" is just a few good, neutral or evil decisions, though. Nothing really morally grey. I mean, one of the "moral" decisions in the first Dragon Age is whether to give a prisoner food or... Kill him. Wow, really?

Really?  You're surprised that EA is already churning out a sequel to a big name console title?
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2010, 10:25:48 am »

RPS has a little mini article about it.

Apparently Bioware decided that dragon age wasn't enough like Mass effect, so they've decided to make the player character in DA2 more like Shepard. Which means you can ONLY be human in DA2. :(

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2010, 10:38:37 am »

And so you are thrust into the world, but things have changed now you have STEAMPUNK GUNS.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6