Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DF 31.08: Transferring savegames between Mac and PC?  (Read 708 times)

Harbinger67

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DF 31.08: Transferring savegames between Mac and PC?
« on: July 08, 2010, 04:27:24 pm »

So I work a very slow tech support job where I do maybe 1 hour of real work per day, and 7 hours of internet surfing/DF playing.  Pretty sweet gig for a DF player, right?  Not really.  At work, I'm forced to use a Mac *weep*.  While I could go on for hours about why I hate having to use that machine, I'm here to focus on one glaring issue I have.

I can't transfer save games between my work Mac DF install and my PC DF install at home.  For a while I was running 0.28.181.40d on both systems, and all I had to do was copy the save folder from one system and paste it into the proper location on the other system and I could keep working on the same game while at work and at home.  However, I have since upgraded to 31.08 on both systems and now this doesn't work any longer.  When I copy the save folder from the Mac install to my home PC, the game acts like I have a blank save folder and doesn't read any of the data at all.

Is this something I can work around somehow?  Obviously, something changed under the hood between 0.28.181.40d and 31.08 that is causing this to happen, but I've only been playing DF for a few weeks and I'm not educated enough on the game yet to figure this out myself :(

Any ideas?

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 31.08: Transferring savegames between Mac and PC?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 06:06:33 pm »

I've been able to transfer saves between mac and PC in the new version with no problems.  I hate to ask a tech support guy this, but have you tried the obvious things, like making sure it isn't in an enclosing extra folder or that you took the entire region1 folder under save and put the whole thing in the save folder on the PC.

Also: is your computer plugged in  ;D

creidieki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 07:16:47 pm »

Even when saves work, they may be somewhat buggy until version 31.09, because of the bug at http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=332  .

My memory is that when saves refuse to load at all, that's because of different save-file compression on linux vs. pc.  You'll need to go into the init files and disable save file compression.

Harbinger67

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 07:36:27 pm »

Computer is plugged in, I have a disk in my ZIP drive so my computer has maximum memory, and I already deleted everything that my computer would let me from the "system32" folder, but it's STILL not working!!!  >:( >:( >:(

...but seriously though, I all that stuff looks fine.  However, the save folder I've been copying does have the region1 folder in it...is that not how it's supposed to be?  Back in the older version that's how it was and it worked fine for me, but for all I know some small file structure thing changed in the new version.  Currently, there is a "region1" and "current" folder in my save folder.  I downloaded and set up a clean DF install in a separate folder and made a quick world and saved the game to compare the 'fresh' region1 and current folders, and everything looked similar with no glaring inconsistencies, so I don't think there are any issues with file structure or missing files in my save folder.

*this bit written after creidieki posted and I read his reply*

That sounds like it may be the culprit.  I won't know until tomorrow when I bring a new save from work with compression turned off, but it certainly sounds like it may fix things. 

Thanks a lot both of you for your replies :)

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 07:45:26 pm »

Instead of copying the save folder, copy the region1 folder into the save folder on the other computer.

fyi: you can feel free to rename the region1 folder at any time (obviously not when the game is running).  Descriptive names keep it from being confusing.  Plus I think overwriting can cause some shenanigans sometimes.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 07:47:45 pm by UmbrageOfSnow »

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
  • Builds everything out of cobaltite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 08:24:22 pm »

Couldn't you just run the game off a USB storage device, with both executables in the main game folder? (I don't own a mac so disregard if I'm way off base.)

Yaddy1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 08:43:09 pm »

I'm having the same problem. Please let me know if you get it to work.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 10:48:59 pm »

Couldn't you just run the game off a USB storage device, with both executables in the main game folder? (I don't own a mac so disregard if I'm way off base.)

I'm 99% sure you could, because that's how I got at least one version of Genesis to work that I grabbed off a windows machine instead of the internet.  I don't think it actually needed a separate executable file, but did need copying of a couple files in the Mac df_osx folder that weren't in the windows one, or something.

And I had to get the df app to execute the df.exe, and had to run df through terminal, but that's how I usually do things anyway.  Anyway, yes, I would bet it is possible with a little experimentation. 

Seriously though, I trade files between OS's all the time and haven't had an issue yet.  I'm not sure what is causing the trouble for people.

Harbinger67

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 09:56:57 am »

Tried turning off save compression and it didn't seem to work :(  Saved a few new worlds at home with compression off, then brought them to work and turned off compression and they still don't show up.  I'll keep working at this and let everyone know if I make progress.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2010, 03:37:34 pm »

I just took a save file on Mac, sent it to PC, played it on PC, saved, renamed, and sent it back to Mac, where I'm now playing it.  All without messing with the compression.  Not to be mean, but the issue here is not "under the hood".

df_osx>data>save>RenamedRegionFolder  Send RenamedRegionFolder folder to the other computer, I usually ctrl+click Create Archive on the Mac and SendTo .zip on the PC to save space.  This is not a problem.

Unzip your file on the other computer.  Put RenamedRegionFolder into df_win>data>save.  Fire up df.

I have seen people have these problems before, once it was a version mismatch, and once it was an extra folder

(save>save>RenamedFolder instead of save>RenamedFolder)

But it is very doable.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 03:40:18 pm by UmbrageOfSnow »

Harbinger67

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 09:34:18 am »

UmbrageOfSnow, I did everything you said exactly as you said and still have zero luck.  The method you described is what I used to do with the older version, but it no longer works with the new one :\

Oh well...in a few days this will all be irrelevant to me anyway as I've got a nice windows-based laptop on its way that'll free me from the shackles of OSX once and for all :D